brclark82

Use for transom tilt switch?

I cannot figure out a reason that a transom tilt switch would be useful.  

I googled it and about all I can find is people say it’s handy if you trailer your boat.  Well I trailer my boat and have no idea why I would ever use this...

I mean you tilt the drive up once your on the trailer before you leave the water and tilt it down before you start it once your back in the water but I’m always at the helm for this and can’t imagine how else it would be done.

I suppose maybe for some maintenance stuff it could be useful but I’m sure I’m missing something here.

I don't know the correct term for these, but do you not use the trailering clips, the half tubes that clip onto the trim cylinder rams that are there in the event you lose hydraulic pressure?  Much easier to put these on with the transom tilt switch.  Also, it's best to lower the lower unit as low as possible once you've got the trailer parked to relieve the bellows.  Again, much easier with transom tilt switch.

I suppose the only time I use it these days is when I am removing my boat from my winter storage garage and since I store it with the drive down, I need to tilt it up to get out of the garage and launch it for the season.  I can tell you that my previous chap didn't have the transom switch option and back then I didn't live on the water so was a trailer boater and there were many times I would have liked that switch each time I was in our out of the garage.  Also when I would pull it out of the access after using the boat (the previous boat), once in a while I would forget to completely raise the drive for the ride home which again the transom switch would have been nice.  

I find it to be a huge help when doing maintenance on the drive unit. Switch is right there instead of jumping in and out of the boat to tilt and lower drive when doing maintenance or cleaning.

I take my drive off every winter for storage and it sure makes removing / installing a breeze.

Installed one on my boat 3 years ago and don't regret it for a second.

I use mine in 3 situations:

1.  Cleaning the drive and surrounding areas

2.  Drive unit maintenance

3.  Putting the boat in the garage.  My boat on the trailer barely fits into the garage, lengthwise, and dropping the drive down to level gains me another 6" or so in room.

Whenever I park my boat, I put the drive down.  The drive is only in trailer mode while being transported. Not sure if this has a substantial effect on the life of the bellows (or a negative effect on the life of the trim system), but I would imagine the bellows will last much longer when not stretched for weeks to months at a time.

Getting in and out of the boat just to put the drive down/up is kind of pain - somewhat to the extent that I've considered putting in a transom switch.

What lambchop said. Best practice is keep drive in down position for long storage. Keeps strain off the rubber parts. When I trailer, drive goes down if I’m parked for more than a day.

I think it’s useless.  Would rather have a transom wash down or speakers.....I have neither.  But I do have this stupid switch :)

Wait till you start maintaining the boat yourself ... as said already: washing the drive, taking props down, changing anodes, checking and general maintenance of the drive, trailering and launching/retrieving the boat, trimming for storage, and trimming the drive out (and props out of your toes way) when swimming around the boat ... these are the uses for that switch on my boat.

Drives should always be stored in the down position, as it takes all the angular deflection out of the bellows, and allows it to be in the normal plane of operation while at rest. Nice to be able to shut off the batteries before trailering home, unload the boat up at the house, and simply back her into her storage bay, unhook the trailer, and put the drive down. I'd trade the problematic stereo control for a working tilt control. To each his own.  W

I guess I didn’t know I was supposed to store the boat with the drive down. It usually sits 4-6 days at a time in the summer and the drive is always up. Has been for all 3 of my boats, I guess you’re always learning something new.

I store it at the dealer for the winter and they winterize it and wrap it so I’m guessing they would lower it before storage?  

Anyway it seems like the 2 uses are maintenance and storage.  I’m assuming the switch is wired (if it was factory installed) so that it still works with the battery switch off?  If not I suppose it would be pretty useless.

37 minutes ago, brclark82 said:

Anyway it seems like the 2 uses are maintenance and storage.  I’m assuming the switch is wired (if it was factory installed) so that it still works with the battery switch off?  If not I suppose it would be pretty useless.

Mine only works with the battery switch on, but it's far from useless.  My usual MO is to leave the battery on until it's fully in the garage.  This keeps the drinks in the fridge cold, and gives me power to start/flush. move the drive up and down, play the radio, etc.  Once it's in the garage and back on power, then the battery goes off.  

The transom tilt switch is one of those things that's not a make or break deal, but it's convenient.

Another use I've found is when I've just pulled up on the trailer, but forget to raise the drive all the way.  I do a last check of everything from the swim platform, before hopping off the boat, and it's convenient to be able to just reach down and raise the drive rather than popping back to the helm.  Again, definitely not a must have, but nice to have.

It is VERY HANDY if you back into a clay & sand spot. Like I did. I should have raised the drive  & putted out.

Not run the drive in forward like it was a earth auger.  Dumb dumb.

I sure appreciate my transom mounted switch. It makes it much easier cleaning and servicing my drive when the boat is at home. It saves me from climbing in and out of the boat, plus I don't have to uncover the boat to crawl inside.

Strangest topic I have seen here :)    But yes...if for any reason if you want to operate the trim without climbing back into your boat...very handy.

My keyboard has "shift" on both sides...but I have never wanted to remove one of them.

I can start my truck from across the parking lot...I don't have to....I could wait until I get into the hot truck to start it.

It's just a convenience thing.  

As others have said, it is handy to lower the drive down once you park the trailer.  It is best for the bellows if you lower the drive when sitting for any length of time.  Also, the drive will hold water if not lowered.   

i love my switch.  when im in the water and realize i forgot to raise the trim, when i'm in the yard working on the boat and i need to raise or lower the trim.  the thought of getting my old body out of the water to raise the trim, or when in the yard having to drag more mud, leaves onto the boat(and maybe remove the cover) not too appealing.

Removed the dry rotted and broken radio remote from my 210 SS when I bought it and put a transom trim switch in it's place. Being a trailer boater, I wouldn't be without one.

y4mB-rh6wUVYnYBPBM-d2qk_Kac1lj8_H3pxzgDD