Tuglife

Sunesta raw water intake screen location

So i was driving out of the marina and went over something that i believe got stuck in my raw water intake because a few seconds later my engine temp light came on. Its a volvo penta 320 hp motor on a 2015 sunesta 264. I think my engine must have shut itself down before i had to chance to shut it off my self. Once the alarm happened i put the engine into idle but didnt immediately shut the engine off (rookie mistake). I waited about 20 seconds and i think it shut off automatically.

So i waited a few minutes and turned her over and she ran fine with normal temps the rest of the day.

so my question is does anyone know where the raw water intakes are so that one could check them for clogs when on the water? I traces the hoses from the impeller housing and it seems like maybe the intakes are in the bottom of the boat is that possible? Seems like poor design as id never be able to check them when on the water.

Update - when my engine overheated and i opened the hatch i noticed i my engine flush port cap was open. I never put it back on after the last flush. I guess when that is open it sucks in air which must screw up the flow of water? Open flush port cap was listed in the troubleshooting guide as something to check when engine overheats.

Also as far as where the raw water intakes are... i know on wn outdrive motor the intakes for raw water would be on the bottom of the outdrive like where the ear muffs would go when running the engine out of the water. But on a stern drive is it the same? Raw water intakes are in the lower unit? So i could tilt up the lower unit all the way when in the water and the engine is off and actually reach with my hand the intakes to deat away any blockages like a plastic bag or seaweed etc if need be?

I am not familiar with a Volvo outdrive, but on a Mercruiser they are on the lower drive.

It’s all the same on all motors.  The intake is gonna be at the lowest possible location for the most part to ensure it’s always in tha water.  Which is why you don’t want to run it into sand and mud.

Yes, make sure your blue cap is tight or your system will suck air. 

The intakes are on the lower unit, one on each side, and are located forward and slightly higher than the props.  They are black and standout against Volvo Penta's gray paint.  One has a pair of flat head bolts that are visible.  Each has "scoops" that are angled forward to "catch" the water.  In addition, there is a small (1/8 inch +/-) hole in the leading edge of the casting at a height about midway between the top and bottom of each inlet.  Typically this hole is located within a "v-notch" in the casting.  It can be overlooked and/or confused easily.  While I wasn't there, it sounds like the alarm and shutdown was caused by the open flush port.  If left open, the system will not prime and generally there is no or limited water flow which causes the alarm and subsequent shutdown if overlooked.  Something to keep an eye on now is the raw water/sea water pump impeller.  These are somewhat susceptible to damage when overheated due to water flow restrictions.  They are easy and inexpensive to replace, and many do so annually.  Just keep your eyes and ears open for additional symptoms of overheating.  Without knowing which engine you have, it's hard to guide you to where to look on your engine.  In general, the raw water/sea water pump is on the lower front of the engine, is belt driven (by the main serpentine belt or by a small separate "tension" belt") and has a separate inlet and outlet with a rubber hose attached to each.  Typically, the inlet hose is a larger diameter than the outlet.  The impeller is located behind the flat cover that has either 3 or 4 small bolts securing it to the pump body.  It takes less than 30 minutes to change If you are somewhat handy, and the cost for a new one is around $50.  Stick with Volvo Penta parts.  Your probably okay, but it's best to keep your eyes and ears open for a little while.