Sign in to follow this  
WaterDR

Jet skis....friends riding and liability.

Those worst case scenarios are always messy.  I know so many adults who go to the sandbar to socialize all day and then drive the boat the rest of the day hammered knowing full well the Sheriff boats are on the lake all weekend long.  Crazy...

My wife and I were lucky. We have a lot of responsible friends, and luckily we never had an issue. But we were very lucky we never had any problems. I'm sure we would have had to use our insurance, but "the talk" cut out the riff raff and bettered our chances.

On 6/10/2018 at 8:26 PM, WaterDR said:

Well, I don’t live in one of those Nancy-lefty states....I live in WI where we can do almost anything :).  We can open carry, drink whilst boating and don’t even need plates for boat trailers.  It’s actually kind of nice.  As far as I know only those under 16 need to take a boaters Safety course.

as to drinking, if you get caught, it’s a $300 fine and not reported on you DL.

Not looking to start an argument, but ...

Try getting a permit to make a modification to your shoreline or home on lakefront property, see how easy that is ... The DNR can be pretty freakin' restrictive.  And public land use?  The "nancy-lefties" come out in droves to prevent any kind of powersports application ...

Trailers over 3,000 pounds GWR need to be titled and registered, doesn't matter if it is for a boat.  I'd venture a guess that most of Chaparral's lineup plus a trailer will exceed 3,000 pounds.  My 2130 SS & trailer sits just over 5,000 pounds on the scale.

"We can drink whilst boating" - We sure can, but I don't know a boater in Wisconsin that doesn't set their beer down when they see the Sheriff's boat.  And every few years, there's new proposals in the state legislature to tighten up OWI laws (we have some of the most lax OWI laws in the country).  They'll get something through one of these days ...

Anyone born after January 1st 1989 must complete a boaters safety course.  I'd recommend taking one anyways, you'll learn a lot more than you think ...

The big push on our lake is to move away from sand shoreline and to native plantings.  The involvement of the gov in our land is beyond egregious.  The regulations are incomprehensibly large and voluminous.  The first time I heard of a wetland bank, its mere existence was insulting.   Wisconsin sounds like an improvement from Minnesota.

8 hours ago, LambChop said:

Not looking to start an argument, but ...

Try getting a permit to make a modification to your shoreline or home on lakefront property, see how easy that is ... The DNR can be pretty freakin' restrictive.  And public land use?  The "nancy-lefties" come out in droves to prevent any kind of powersports application ...

Trailers over 3,000 pounds GWR need to be titled and registered, doesn't matter if it is for a boat.  I'd venture a guess that most of Chaparral's lineup plus a trailer will exceed 3,000 pounds.  My 2130 SS & trailer sits just over 5,000 pounds on the scale.

"We can drink whilst boating" - We sure can, but I don't know a boater in Wisconsin that doesn't set their beer down when they see the Sheriff's boat.  And every few years, there's new proposals in the state legislature to tighten up OWI laws (we have some of the most lax OWI laws in the country).  They'll get something through one of these days ...

Anyone born after January 1st 1989 must complete a boaters safety course.  I'd recommend taking one anyways, you'll learn a lot more than you think ...

I am always willing to learn!  I am also a former naval officer and OOD qualified :)  Drove Carriers.

we live on the St Croix River.  The river is patrolled by DNR, Police and Coat Guard. Both states have jurisdiction.

If a WI cop nails you for drinking it’s a $300 fine I believe.  If a MN cop busts you it’s a $7500 fine and a loss of a DL.  I lose my job too because I am required to maintain a DL.  Regardless I stay clean but the states have a very different view of drinking on the water.

We recently built a new bridge across the river.  $800M.  Half for the bridge and half for all the environment crap and payouts. 23 agencies and you will never guess which state was the bigger road block.

i don’t think WI is lax...just more reasonable.

My umbrella won’t cover anyone under 18 on a PWC....May even be 21 now.

i have recently laid down the law.....no parent, no Safety certificate, no drive it.

both my girls have cards