Sign in to follow this  
Stretch79

JL Audio M vs MX series?

Anyone have experience with both series?  Other than the price difference is there a huge sound difference?  The MX series comes with a LED ring and is $50 cheaper than the M series.

I think the M sounds clearer, but the MX is no slouch; it sounds good.  I gave them both a good listen at a shop a while back. 

Just stopped at car toys and picked up the MX model with the LED, was on sale for $219.  Figure if it doesnt do the trick I'll grab another one.

if talking the 6.5" coaxial, then the less expensive MX series for sure! It has a smaller tweeter and a very slightly larger mid-bass driver, so its a but warmer sounding, especially at rest. The M series with its larger tweeter can have the advantage in volume while underway though. 

Gotchya

The MX10IB is one of the best sounding marine infinite-baffle woofers out there, but not the highest power handling one though. Not quite the power handling of the M. The M series comes on both an IB version and small enclosure version, just no LED. However, an LED, whether single color or RGB, can be fixed to the back side of the grill. As noted, the M has a little more power handling in the both the IB and small enclosure models. In the end, put the woofer in the proper alignment, with quality wattage and a proper tune, and they will perform very well.