Sign in to follow this  
SeanK

Repair Gelcoat Chips

I have two small chips in my gelcoat.    I have a 2012 216 SSi that is white and blue.   Do you have any suggestions on where to buy the repair kit so it matches my colors?    Any recommendations on high quality kits?   Thanks

DIY Information available on this website. Order their gel coat repair paste as it's made to handle small work like your repair.  W

Call 800-754-5516 or visit our website at www.spectrumcolor.com

1410 37th Street NW

Suite F

Auburn, WA 98001

I think the hardest part of Gelcoat repair is getting a good color match. When mixing the colors, very little tint is needed to make a big change in the color, so take it a little at a time.

The repair itself, is actually pretty easy, but can be rather time consuming, as you have multiple steps that need time before proceeding to the next step. Tons of videos on YouTube to show you how to do it.

Have done some myself and the results were surprisingly good. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Just take it nice and slow, follow the directions / videos and you'll be pleased with the results.

1 hour ago, Pops said:

I think the hardest part of Gelcoat repair is getting a good color match. When mixing the colors, very little tint is needed to make a big change in the color, so take it a little at a time.

The repair itself, is actually pretty easy, but can be rather time consuming, as you have multiple steps that need time before proceeding to the next step. Tons of videos on YouTube to show you how to do it.

Have done some myself and the results were surprisingly good. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Just take it nice and slow, follow the directions / videos and you'll be pleased with the results.

Good Morning Pops,

Have you used the Spectrumcolor product? I'm on repair #8 with their paste and 2 majors with spray application and their liquid gelcoat and the color match was perfect every time. Several Sea Rays, Formulas, a Chaparral, Baha, and a Tidewater. Initially the match does not look quite right, but after it cures fully, friends could not tell me where the repair was. Pot life gives you plenty of work time, but I do let each coat dry overnight before wet sanding with 320, 600, 1500, and 2,000 grit. Very little buffing required and sanding always done with a rubber block.  A few of the repairs are going on 5 years now and still look perfect.  W

I have not. I've just used the cheapo universal kits where one mixes the colors manually. For some reason, I don't trust the color charts where variations are possible due to what is seen on different screens.

But have had good results where the repair is virtually invisible to others that don't know where repair was made, unless the light is just right or I point it out.

I have found that the multitude of shades of white are the hardest to duplicate.