Roady68

Bravo 3 lower drive material

Is the lower drive cast aluminum?  I wanted to do some weld repair on the skeg but I thought I saw the casing was more of a pot metal.  Thanks.

If you plan on doing any  any type of welding on a engine / sterndrive ?  You MUST have the GROUND clip on the EXACT SAME PIECE OF METAL .......you will be welding. Clean a fairly flat spot of that skeg to clamp to.  Clamp on any other piece of DIFFERENT piece or part ????  Very good chance mechanical or electrical damage. 

Always clamp onto the same casting.  I scrape / away the paint & use a C clamp on rounded surfaces. Then clamp the welder to the C clamp. Always protects everything.

NOTICE !!!!!!!!!! the drive unit metal casting are like TISSUE PAPER when using a larger C clamp.  Gently.

I remember reading somewhere that it was an aluminum low copper alloy.

I've welded several, but it is hard to get the metal clean enough. Heat distortion is a big issue too as final alignment of the output shaft bearing carrier is critical to achieve proper drive gear backlash. You must pull the gear set out as preheat is necessary to drive out contamination, just be sure to use heat stop or a similar product the help hold the heat away from the actual gear case cavity. I blow air through the housing too to help carry away excessive heat. The primary purpose of the skeg is for prop impact protection. It helps a bit with low speed steering wander, but likely you will not notice much difference after the repair. If it were me, I'd shape whats left with a grinder, smooth out the edges, prep, paint, and forget.  W

Until you hit whatever you hit the first time to destroy the skeg.... Skeg guard on my boat for the last 6 years and i don't notice any difference. 

If you go to www.wanderfin.com & look at the amount of vertical fin area it has. Then look at that TINY skeg area.  The skeg is useless in decreasing bow wandering.

It is best at reducing  damage from rock or road pavement hits.

Many O B guys just grind the jagged stuff away..........     Carefully ........Ugly yes.  Leaking out oil ?  probably not.  Take your pick.

My small boat has the drive lock NOT USED. Untill I am 100' from the dock. Then I use the Drive Lock to prevent the O B from rising up in reverse.

Thanks all.  I think a simple reshaping and paint is in order.  I actually have a new lower drove on the starboard so I only wanted to make the other side look as nice.  Due to corrosion (salt water exposure), I may replace lower on the port side next year. The corrosion is making removal of drain plug near impossible.

I put a skeg guard on mine this year.  Just to make it look better and eliminate the need to keep painting it every year.