Bigfoot

What does this wire go to?

I’m in the process of fixing up a 2002 230SSI. There is a green wire hanging loose on the port side of the engine bay. There is a small round terminal ring crimped on the end. It’s mounted in wire loom and then it’s just hanging down back towards rear corner. No other wiring really in this area and the only stuff close to it is the gas filling neck and the fresh water holding tank filling neck and hose.   Any help would be appreciated!

In general, green wires indicate ground.  Given there is an attached round terminal ring, it's more likely than not that this was once attached to something.  While wiring harnesses are universal and almost always have unused wires covering available options for a model year but not present on a given boat, they are always terminated via a plug end (usually female).  Without a picture and knowing the exact engine package installed in your boat, it's impossible to say for sure, but given your description, this was likely attached to the fuel fill neck.  It's important to ground metal and most types of plastic fill necks to harmlessly discharge static and prevent ignition (yes, most plastic types are electrically conductive).  While I don't recall with certainty, I believe there is a federal regulation that requires grounding. 

I was thinking the same about it being a green wire with a ring terminal it was most likely a ground but the location made no sense to me.   I never knew about the ground to the gas filler neck. I will take a picture in the morning and post it on here. Thank you Curt

On th boat, the green wire is bonding system that connects all metals exposed to galvanic corrosion. Although it might or might not be explicitly connected to DC ground (a black wire old days and more recently a yellow wire), it is not part of boat's DC electrical system. Do not use bonding system as a substitute for DC ground.

The extra green wire might be a part of Chap's standard loom and intended for an optional thruhull that is not installed on your boat.

Richard, that is certainly a possibility.  Great point.  Volvo Penta uses an active galvanic protection system on newer boats complete with LED status indicators, but I don't know the cutoff year, whether or not this was available/included on a 2002 and whether or not this boat is equipped with a Volvo Penta or Mercury package.  Usually though, terminations for unused wiring are not a ring terminal.  To me this suggests it was once connected to something - likely something important.  A picture, two or three should clear it up along with knowing the engine package.   

VP offers the ACPS and Merc offers Mercathode for many years. It is not a new invention. Like anodes, the ACPS is an extra protection offered in addition, not instead, to the green wire bonding system. The bonding system is a basic and rudimentary system required on any boat with engine and/or electricity onboard. It bonds all metals electrically into one so there is no electricall potential between them. Theoretically, if there is no difference in potential there is no galvanic corrosion.

The ring terminal on a green wire is the usual termination method for a bonding wire that was intended for a seacock or a scupper for example. The wire loom often consist of all the wires needed for a boat fully loaded with options regardless of what options are installed on a particular boat. Yes, the picture would help to assert the guesses.

Here is a great tutorial on how to add pictures to your post on this forum ...

Do you have thru hull exhaust? I have one in that area attached to the thru hull exhaust bolt.

Waterfun, I don’t have thru hull exhaust but I’d love to do it!  Is your boat a 230 SSI?? If so I’d love to see pictures of your set up. 

To muddy the grounding waters.

Was reading where the static grounding of plastic fuel systems might now be not done.  Can someone check that latest change ?

Almost every piece of metal on your boat is tied together with a bonding wire (green in color) that keeps electrical potential balanced between these dissimilar metals. This is done to prevent galvanic corrosion and in the case of your filler neck, static discharge. Most fillers are now plastic so that is not likely an issue with your ride. Look for a metal through hull in the general area where you found the loose wire. Garboard drain plug, deck scuppers, sink drain, bilge pump discharge, tow eyes, bow eye and the like all are bonded.  W

Thank you Wingnut for the good information!

I’ll look at the wire when I get the boat back. It’s in the shop b/c the 5.7 started knocking under a load last weekend. 

I have a 2007 chaparral with the 5.0MerCruiser mpi bravo 3 had the engine lock up  replaced with a jasper remain and now I’m not getting no spark I double check timing checked the coil and  module and they were fine (tryed on my truck) checked all wires and connections I’m getting fuel and oil pressure but no spark any ideas had someone change key switch and when u turn it on fuel pump turns on so I’m guessing it’s right please lmk ASAP 

3 hours ago, Shakerbasher2 said:

I have a 2007 chaparral with the 5.0MerCruiser mpi bravo 3 had the engine lock up  replaced with a jasper remain and now I’m not getting no spark I double check timing checked the coil and  module and they were fine (tryed on my truck) checked all wires and connections I’m getting fuel and oil pressure but no spark any ideas had someone change key switch and when u turn it on fuel pump turns on so I’m guessing it’s right please lmk ASAP 

Do you have loose green wire too?   :pirate:

I can’t help u with your problem, but you should start a new topic with your problem.   You will get a better response and not confuse your problem and the OP.