MontreAl

Another oil question - No Chap Content

I think the best oil advice I have received has been from Wingnut posting on this forum.  I use mobil 1 in 2 boats, 2 cars, a motorcycle, ATV and snowmobile. I am sold on mobil 1.

My new car, a Volvo V60 with a 2L turbo asks for oil meeting standard ACEA A5/B5, which I think mobil 1 does not. The only readily available oil I could find meeting ACEA A5/B5 is Castrol Edge.

What am I missing? 

12 hours ago, MontreAl said:

I think the best oil advice I have received has been from Wingnut posting on this forum.  I use mobil 1 in 2 boats, 2 cars, a motorcycle, ATV and snowmobile. I am sold on mobil 1.

My new car, a Volvo V60 with a 2L turbo asks for oil meeting standard ACEA A5/B5, which I think mobil 1 does not. The only readily available oil I could find meeting ACEA A5/B5 is Castrol Edge.

What am I missing? 

Mobil 1 comes in different flavors. Extended performance Mobil 1 is derived from a PAO ester, and generic Mobil 1 is a severely hydrogenated conventional base stock which the industry has accepted as being synthesized. The purest at Mobil don't agree with that distinction but when the lawyers got involved it became the new industry standard. Call Mobil's tech support line and they will dial you in or visit the website below and punch in your vehicle data. Mobil made the base stock for Castrol and I think they still do. We actually blended and packaged their products at our Bayone NJ lube plant for years, but closed that facility when the contract was over as it was a loosing proposition. Mobil Link Below...  W

https://mobiloil.com/en/product-selector

6 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

Thanks for the input, WIngnut.  I followed the Mobil Oil link you provided and got this:

Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 0W-30 viscosity and oil that meets ACEA A5/B5. We currently do not offer any motor oils in the United States that meet these specifications.

Castrol has a similar oil selector and recommends Edge, and the PDS indicates:

Characteristics

API SN
ILSAC GF-5
ACEA A1/B1
GM - dexos1TM supersedes GM-LL-A-025, GM6094M and GM4718M

Meets Ford WSS-M2C929-A, Ford WSS-M2C946-A
Meets Engine Protection Requirements of Chrysler MS 6395 Honda HTO-06

Note that the PDS for Castrol Edge does not say it meets ACEA A5/B5, rather A1/B1.  The new car owner's manual recommends Castrol Edge, so that's what I am planning to use.

Rather confusing, no?

6 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

Mobil 1 comes in different flavors. Extended performance Mobil 1 is derived from a PAO ester, and generic Mobil 1 is a severely hydrogenated conventional base stock which the industry has accepted as being synthesized. The purest at Mobil don't agree with that distinction but when the lawyers got involved it became the new industry standard. Call Mobil's tech support line and they will dial you in or visit the website below and punch in your vehicle data. Mobil made the base stock for Castrol and I think they still do. We actually blended and packaged their products at our Bayone NJ lube plant for years, but closed that facility when the contract was over as it was a loosing proposition. Mobil Link Below...  W

https://mobiloil.com/en/product-selector

3 minutes ago, MontreAl said:

Note that the PDS for Castrol Edge does not say it meets ACEA A5/B5, rather A1/B1.  The new car owner's manual recommends Castrol Edge, so that's what I am planning to use.

Rather confusing, no?

It's all about volume and if the majors can make money on a blend to order product. That's why we got out of marine oils on the consumer side as the certification process costs more than the products were worth to us. We are making the Volvo gear oil as a blend to order, but can get a good price for it wholesale. We do make marine oils on the commercial side and target the high volume marine diesel market. 55 gallon drums rather than 1 quart bottles just makes better business sense. DTE 797 is a turbine oil we sell. MobilRad 797 is the exact same product/formulation that we sell to the nuclear industry that commands a 40% premium because of all of the secondary certifications required by the regulatory agencies. 0w-30 is an odd-ball and likely not worth the effort for Mobil, as they are maxed out on their Mobil 1 production lines anyway. The major engine builders have really tightened up their tolerances of late allowing for lighter viscosity oils. The 0w's really cut down on frictional losses from drag, but the film needs to hang in there. I talked with Cris MCGaha's engine builder and uncle at the Las Vegas NHRA event and he showed me the oil they were running. The stuff poured like tea. Sounds like you have your answer and I'm sure Volvo has some obscure reason for their spec. I remember when the Ford Pinto specified the first 10w-30 for their 4 cylinder. The 10-40 did a better job once it got there, but the oiling system was so poor on those engines that they needed a 10w-30 as it arrived on scene sooner than the 10w-40 in cold weather start-up situations and saved camshaft lobes. Funny how the industry evolves and adapts to fix a poor engine design.  W