Sign in to follow this  
eleblanc

Sig 350 alternator wiring

I'm checking what i beleive to be wiring hacking from previous owner, where should the wires from the alternator be hooked on (merc 8,1 stern drive)? directly on port and stbd batteries? Or maybe alternator should be connected to starter, so that switching off the DC switch cuts current from going to batteries.

Most all alternators MUST ALWAYS be connected to the battery when they are spinning. If the boat equipment is connected to the alternator ?  Some alternators will go to maximum voltage. Fatal to electrical equipment.

I have blown out all the bulbs in the dash instrument more than 1 time with no battery connected. As I age. I do more things like that.  Oh well.   My boat with interruptions is fair game.

That only happens with my small O B hand pull to start motors.

In most cases, the engine harness is laid out with the alternator supply (charge wire) terminating to the main starter post. From there, the main starter cable either connects directly to the battery or through a battery switch. 

There are few rare occasions where a boat builder uses a diode type isolator for a dual bank setup, in which case, the alternator will go to the diode block.