x1y2z3

175-200ft of anchor chain instead of chain & rope

I recently bought a Signature 290 of 2008. I will do some changes before starting the boating season.
We decided to change the regular setting of 30ft anchor chain plus rope to 175-200ft of 5/16" polished stainless chain.

Will there be enough room for the chain at the locker?

Do you think there is a good chance of a pile 10 X larger.............Anchor grade chain fitting into the locker ? Remember that only 1 TINY   TINY spot of the 2 links are rubbing against each other. in a week long storm. several times a year. every year.

Anchor line & chain are easy to forget about once they are stored away.

A major chain company can possibly give you a idea of cubic feet of that amount of chain......... Caution !!      ONLY buy OVAL link type of chain. It rarely tangles on itself.

Power winch or hand retrieving ?

Do a web search of     Anchor chain swivel failure                           Interesting reading before committing. 

Be sure to read the bottom 1 called.................. Lucky escape.

Cheap S S chain can be no better than cheap line.  Call a chain MANUFACTURER      BEFORE   BUYING.

it's not just cubic feet... and yes, swivels have to be first grade quality.

Any Sig290 owners out there experienced on the amount of chain fitting to the locker?

I'd be more worried about the weight, you are probably looking at several hundred pounds on the bow, you may be plowing a lot of water.

3 hours ago, Pgeiser said:

I'd be more worried about the weight, you are probably looking at several hundred pounds on the bow, you may be plowing a lot of water.

I was thinking that too.. is that much weight shift material on a 290?

It'll be 164 or 188 lb for the new stainless minus aprox 55 for the existing gear.
109 to 133lb extra weight on the bow.

nah to bulky noisy and chain will destroy everything it touches.  windlass system goes up I'm now trying to haul up 200ft of chain weighing 200lbs plus anchor?  Just doesn't seem logical to me vs what benefit. 

Machine polished stainless chains run and lie down way smoother and more compact compared to any galvanized steel chain.

Let me repeat: Will there be enough room on a Sig290 for 175-200ft of stainless 5/16" chain at the anchor locker?

How deep are you anchoring where you want 200 feet of chain.  50 feet of chain then rope should be plenty for most applications.

19 minutes ago, x1y2z3 said:

Machine polished stainless chains run and lie down way smoother and more compact compared to any galvanized steel chain.

Let me repeat: Will there be enough room on a Sig290 for 175-200ft of stainless 5/16" chain at the anchor locker?

To my knowledge, no one on this forum runs all chain, but I'm sure you'll continue to get some feedback regarding pros and cons.  Good luck.

20 minutes ago, Futzin' said:

To my knowledge, no one on this forum runs all chain, but I'm sure you'll continue to get some feedback regarding pros and cons.  Good luck.

yup just like guys asking if putting square shaped wheels on a car is a good idea.  stick with what works. 

Cheaper to lose 50 feet of chain than 200 feet of chain too if you get the anchor stuck.  

Also what if there is an emergency and your anchored and you need to cut the rope real quick to get out of the way or something.  How do you cut an polished stainless real quick?  I don't carry a plasma cutter on my boat. 

a plasma cutter is well thought out, thx!
I will put this - high priorized - on our list. But, to be honest, not earlier than I know whether there is room for the new chain or not.

While I can't speak to the newer model years, I will say that the rode locker on my 1992 Signature 28, will hold that amount of chain.  I purchased the vessel at auction and was astonished at what I found in the locker.  I had acquired 100' of galvanized chain followed by 300' of rope rode.  Initially I had no idea that this was overkill(to say the least), but I did know that it didn't fit in the rode locker without being organized.  I pulled it all out of the locker, and replaced it in the locker with some organization.  It now all fits, but the last 10' of chain doesn't fall smoothly into the locker without moving the "pile" from under the entry point(windlass).  I'm going to remove the works again this summer and remove half of both the chain and the rode.  We typically anchor in about 10'-20' of water.

You will now only be able to ride out a Category 3 hurricane.   :)

Not too many Cat. 3's in Southwestern Colorado, we do have some nasty microbursts and thunderstorms though.  Our lakes have rocky bottoms(large rocks), so more chain is better than less. We boat on the northern end of Lake Powell, and a small lake close to home called McPhee Reservoir, and don't plan trips when the weather is forecast to be bad, but I do appreciate your concern.

2 hours ago, Jjlai724 said:

I don't carry a plasma cutter on my boat. 

Oooooo.....plasma cutter.  Hang on, I'm heading over to the boat modification thread.  I have an idea!!  :)

2 hours ago, Jjlai724 said:

Cheaper to lose 50 feet of chain than 200 feet of chain too if you get the anchor stuck.  

Also what if there is an emergency and your anchored and you need to cut the rope real quick to get out of the way or something.  How do you cut an polished stainless real quick?  I don't carry a plasma cutter on my boat. 

Really good point!

12 hours ago, x1y2z3 said:

I recently bought a Signature 290 of 2008. I will do some changes before starting the boating season.
We decided to change the regular setting of 30ft anchor chain plus rope to 175-200ft of 5/16" polished stainless chain.

Will there be enough room for the chain at the locker?

I have a 2011 Sig 290. With 30ft. of chain and 200ft of line. In 3 foot wave, it held. You may want 5 or 10ft. more. But 200 of chain, I think you will make the boat bow heavy and have a hard time getting on plane.

Thx to JPFunk and Iggy for their thoughts on my question! This will help on our consideration.

Sounds like no matter what sound advice is given to this guy he is DETERMINED to put 200 feet of chain on that boat...lol.  Sometimes you just cant talk someone out of doing seemingly crazy and pointless things like putting 200 feet of 5/16 chain on that small of a boat:beat-dead-horse:   

The 200 feet of chain with weight of 200 lbs is not reall that much for Sig290. It is less than two skinny ladies or one average adult American male lounging on the bow sunpad. Will it affect the boat's center of gravity, yes, a little, not in a significant way considering all other things on the boat that change weight distribution like fuel tanks, gear, people, etc. The boat can take it with ease, and he can change and manage the weight distribution in a number of ways.

Will it fit in the chain locker? Probably ... it would fit on my Sig270, there is a lot of space there.

How you going to cleat off the chain when anchored.  Your not suppose to depend on the windlass to keep the rope/chain secured while anchored.  

Anchors dont work going straight down ,so using a modest 5-1 scope  your looking at a depth of 40 feet

10 feet of chain and 600 feet of 1/2 inch is more than plenty