crc_3839

Chaparral's quality going downhill

Just purchased a 2018 vortex. Waited 16 weeks to receive a product I would be ashamed to have put my brand name on.  The start buttons were hooked up incorrectly, the stereo control on the swimplatform wasn't hooked up at all, the fuel gauge doesn't work, there are missing seat cushions, and a visible hole under the bow eye. Decals are already peeling off. Bolts were missing in the grates. How this boat passed quality control is beyond me.  There are numerous other problems. I am embarrassed to show off the new boat. Now my 2006 220 SSI, that boat is in better shape. Come on Chaparral's what happened to your standards?

The demise of the SSi line, and the advent of the H20 and Vortex seem to correspond to much of the QA issues we hear about on this forum.

Your issues sound more like a travel trailer experience.  Let's hope Chap isn't devolving in that manner.

I'm keeping my 220 . . . 

Dealer is the one who should have corrected those things prior to delivery.

You would be surprised what dealer's have to do sometimes to "fix" what the factory

has done before they sell the boats. Chap is no better or worse than other brands.

I picked my new 227 ssx up three weeks ago with several issues from the factory. The dealer is making it right, but I was still disappointed the day I received the boat.

Main issues were:

Tower had a chip- chap is replacing

hole in one of the seats- chap is replacing

white over spray on black hull- dealer handled that one

trim not working correctly- dealer has fixed

bimini top mounts pulled out of the tower on first use

My dealer has been awesome and are getting the problems fixed, just frustrating to wait so long and then have to deal with this stuff. 

crc

In my opinion you have a used / parts stripped / cannibalized boat that was sold as new. Usually a dealer leased out boat. Check the HIN & date of manufacture if interested.

A dealer will take a real factory piece of crap & use it for parts. Then sell it.  60 years ago we had a local one of those in Manahawkin, N J.

Hammer down on your dealer to make things right.  Hopefully word will get back to the factory so that final inspection personnel changes can be made. If truly a factory issue, no excuse for such carelessness.

If a new boat from Chap ?  Sounds like Chap will be sold soon. Or already agreed to.  Clear out all the junk for the new owners.

My saying of. " It is easier to climb down a ladder. Than to climb up a ladder ".  Seems to fit. 

This years profits should be HUGE.  Lowered taxes for all corporations. Add in stock buy backs ?  Hard to find good interest or dividends as a result.

Using cheaper materials is one thing. Not fastening and/or attaching them together properly is quite another.

Todays younger entry workers treat a company the way some of them are treated.  Badly.

The new boat owner gets all the grief for top dollar.

While I'm a lowly H20 peasant, I find myself in the same boat concerning the quality control.  We recently purchased our first ever new boat, a 21' H20 S&F.  While inexpensive compared to some other Chaps, the $48K we paid for our H20 is a lot of money to us.  We were impressed with the quality in the showroom.  Upon receiving our boat, I found about 10 fasteners, screws, etc. in the bottom of the boat along with masking tape.  We have a bonus hole under a console, the steering rubs and is difficult, the live well pump didn't run (fixed by dealer), carpet snap broken, scratches on the gel coat on the side of the boat, lots of uncovered wood and fiberglass that they didn't even bother to paint.  There's a chunk of fiberglass missing under a hinge for a compartment, compartment doors not mount level, broken wood under the gunnel, hose clamps not mounted to anything, missing and stripped/cross threaded screws, etc.  I have typed up a list of about 16 items for the dealer already.  Who ever is in charge of QC'ing things over at Chaparral is clearly not doing their job very well.

Salespeople are running / ruining  the company.   Typical modern company standards.  Buy a older boat. 2002 186 SSI 5.0 L are a good year for me to keep buying. Black & white.  So easy to color match any color.       :)

Get it right now...I bought 2015 307 SSX 50th anniversary with a “wonderful extended warranty” for five years.  It’s interesting how the booklet for warranty is about all the exclusions.  Basically nothing is covered past the first year. 

It’s not sales people.....it’s finance people!!!

Many boat manufacturers have consolidated too.  It’s the ulmighty dollar and making the share holders rich.  Chap is part of a public company....therein lies the root of many evils.

As to question quality problems...

- Is it the manufacturing and QC process?

- Is it the shipping process causing damage as a result of going with cheap shippers?

- Is it a poor delivery process....as in the dealer not doing their part?

- Is it all of the above?

Sorry to see this post!  Our new 21 H2O is due to arrive any day now.  

I looked at numerous H2Os at various dealerships and the Hartford boat show and they all looked top notch.  The fit and finish and quality of materials looked better than the competition, excellent in fact.  The dealer said that the demand for H2Os has been huge and the factory has had to gear up for it.   Hope our new one looks as good as the ones in the showroom.    

Trends in boat sales....

Pontoons sell.  They all go.  Everyone wants one. No inventory anywhere.

Cuddys are out.  Cabin cruisers....no one wants them.

open bows making a bit of a come back, but the less expensive lines.

Bayliners are selling like mad now around here.  Can you believe it?  

The sweat spot for new boats seems to be 20 to 40k in the upper Midwest.  Sure...there are few of people buying 500k Whalers....but that’s it.

6 hours ago, Sacandaga said:

Sorry to see this post!  Our new 21 H2O is due to arrive any day now.  

I looked at numerous H2Os at various dealerships and the Hartford boat show and they all looked top notch.  The fit and finish and quality of materials looked better than the competition, excellent in fact.  The dealer said that the demand for H2Os has been huge and the factory has had to gear up for it.   Hope our new one looks as good as the ones in the showroom.    

Your dealer with have a LOT to do with how well the boat stands up at delivery.  Be prepared to go over it with a fine toothed comb and make notes for the dealer to address before you take delivery.  Enjoy your new boat!

But   but our congress says there are no people unemployed. Wages are rising rapidly.  The sick are really in excellent health.  People own 2 or more cars to commute to part time jobs.

Life is good again in the USA.       Down sizing at all income levels is now anti American.

Stop stop !!     The Repo Man wants to take my Windows 8.1 desk top computer away.

I could live in Somalia , China , Russia, or North Korea.

Thankfully I live in the U S A.     :wub:

11 hours ago, WaterDR said:

Trends in boat sales....

Pontoons sell.  They all go.  Everyone wants one. No inventory anywhere.

Cuddys are out.  Cabin cruisers....no one wants them.

open bows making a bit of a come back, but the less expensive lines.

Bayliners are selling like mad now around here.  Can you believe it?  

The sweat spot for new boats seems to be 20 to 40k in the upper Midwest.  Sure...there are few of people buying 500k Whalers....but that’s it.

I'll add to that as I am in MN and the overwhelming trend is tritoons and pontoons and also the $150k surf boats are taking over our lake as well. 

Bowriders are dying a medium slow death here and 'they aint no new bayliners' on our lake.  Nobody is buying new bowriders whether they be the cheaper H20's or overpriced Cobalts.  The sweet spot seems to be lower end 60k-ish tritoons and the surf boats.  The tritoons at 60k are lower end because they are not the twin 300's and twin 150's as are on the lake as well but we do get our share of way over 100k tritoons. The tritoons and pontoons are allowing people to get rid of two of their three boats and boat lifts, extra dockage on their shore and insurance policies.  I don't get the alure of the wake boat but those people also have a tritoon.  Our sand bars have become a whos who of the tritoons and pontoons. 

The real problem is pricing much like I see it in cars, although I feel as if car quality control is better.  Boats have dramatically increased in price you cant get into something new for much less than 50k, and that is a lot of money for the majority of americans, specially something that a lot only use 4 months out of the year.  The boat population has been in decline so in order to make money boat makers have to raise prices and cheapen the product, just the way it is, and its also a part of the throw away mentality, nothing is meant to last more than a few years anymore.

Ive said it before my 1991 and 1993 of different makes were lacking in some of the newer tech but in general were hands down better quality than my 2002 chap.