crc_3839

Chaparral's quality going downhill

Cars are all put together by robotics.  Hard to compare. 

What I see are Pontoon’s sells like crazy in the sub 35k space.  That CAN get you a 24ft boat with a 150 outboard.  

I got lucky. My 19 H2O came pretty much perfect, trailer not quite so much, but Chap didnt build the trailer. Shorelander did. I'm a pretty picky guy, and didnt expect the boat to be built and fit and finished as well as it was. 

Thanks Jim.

We really did know that most boat builders are building more GOOD boats than BAD boats

But any bad new boat hurts when they want perfect money.

I will stick with my 2005 220 SSi

brick

Sorry to hear of the poor QC on your Vortex.   As said earlier, I hope your dealer takes care of you.  I know my dealer is awesome.

My 2014 H2O has been a fabulous boat.  Only two minor items since I bought it.  Saw a lot of new Chaparrals on the lake this weekend;  unfortunately didn’t see a “surf” version (i.e., really want to see one in action).

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 2:52 PM, WaterDR said:

Cars are all put together by robotics.  Hard to compare. 

What I see are Pontoon’s sells like crazy in the sub 35k space.  That CAN get you a 24ft boat with a 150 outboard.  

yes and no.  Car companies are also much larger and I think have the process down pat a little bit better and also have more resources to throw at quality control.   Boats today simply cost more and made cheaper.  They have overall do no come close to comparing in quality than boats built 15-20 years ago.  Things are made of plastic and not metal, fiberglass is thinner and poorly done

Fibre glass, carbon fiber, & most plastics are the cheapest ways to make a product.  HAND LABOR seems to rule a plastic industry.  Who cares why?  It is simply a fact that variety of large shapes being changed a little just to be different is not going to pay for automation costs.

The H20 discussion reminds me of my 17 year old's slightly used Hyundai Sonata we he got for his 16th bday last year.  It's a fantastic car, well made, very quick, endless tech and seems like nothing could be done better, until you hop into a 'luxury level' car then it quickly becomes apparent.  The Sonata is fine for most and beyond it is just overkill.  For many, the H20 is all they require.  

I really don't get the insane pontoon craze to be honest.  There is no break from the wind at all and larger lakes are windy often.  My wife is constantly getting out of the wind on our Chap, closing the bow door and the center glass, I don't get that part of pontoon/tritoon ownership.  

You need to put a bunch of eating, drinking, seniors, 30 year olds, a big dog, several cooler chests on a 20' Chap. In groups anywhere in the boat. Then have a moderate straight down rain occur. 

Why poontoons are so much in demand by group loads of people. Modern V hulls are a bunch of isolated areas.  The pontoon is a open ballroom floor.

For 4 people my 186 SSI V 8 is perfect for 1 to 2 hours. Doing any more time or people.  I want a pontoon.

24 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

You need to put a bunch of eating, drinking, seniors, 30 year olds, a big dog, several cooler chests on a 20' Chap. In groups anywhere in the boat. Then have a moderate straight down rain occur. 

Why poontoons are so much in demand by group loads of people. Modern V hulls are a bunch of isolated areas.  The pontoon is a open ballroom floor.

For 4 people my 186 SSI V 8 is perfect for 1 to 2 hours. Doing any more time or people.  I want a pontoon.

Right, some down sides for all the upsides I suppose for pontoons.  

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:28 AM, Chaparral Rider said:

The H20 discussion reminds me of my 17 year old's slightly used Hyundai Sonata we he got for his 16th bday last year.  It's a fantastic car, well made, very quick, endless tech and seems like nothing could be done better, until you hop into a 'luxury level' car then it quickly becomes apparent.  The Sonata is fine for most and beyond it is just overkill.  For many, the H20 is all they require.  

I really don't get the insane pontoon craze to be honest.  There is no break from the wind at all and larger lakes are windy often.  My wife is constantly getting out of the wind on our Chap, closing the bow door and the center glass, I don't get that part of pontoon/tritoon ownership.  

I don't get paying 50-60k or more for a couple of metal tubes with a deck on stop and 150hp motor on them.  I know I know they are little more than that, but really I bet the profit margin on those things is huge.

1 hour ago, soldier4402 said:

I don't get paying 50-60k or more for a couple of metal tubes with a deck on stop and 150hp motor on them.  I know I know they are little more than that, but really I bet the profit margin on those things is huge.

Like high profit trucks and SUV's I suppose.  I agree though, it's sill a pontoon no matter what you do to it. I've seen a couple of those ultra high end versions that have a full walk through windshield, a tower and very high power and that is kind of cool to me but that's about it but those are 200k. 

It is interesting that Chaparral lets you complain about their boats on their website.

Not every manufacturer would let you do that.

39 minutes ago, jeffk said:

It is interesting that Chaparral lets you complain about their boats on their website.

Not every manufacturer would let you do that.

Are there manufacturers that censor/remove less than flattering posts?

I don't think they monitor much on this page that's why its a pretty poor forum and participation all around.  Only reason I stick around is kills time and in general the conversations stay pretty civil compared to others.  But in terms of what other forums offer for boats, and cars, this one is pretty weak.

The forum is only as good as its participants.

I talk with a lot of Chaparral owners down in Florida and they do not even know this forum exists.

I was a moderator on the Crownline forum years ago...it was strictly monitored.

I am sure this one is too s from time to time posts are deleted.

I find the forum entertaining, with some good tech knowledge thrown in from time to time.

The social aspect, such as getting to meet Jeff and Larry in the Bahamas is a great pus also.

Bahamas 2019....Lets do it again!

Its definitely ok, but compared to say an OSO, challengertalk, camaro1 etc, this website is bottom barrel.  Hey their page they can do what they want.  Some of these other forums have 100k worth of threads which is a treasure trove of info.  And its not like its bulky to get through either.  Other pages have mechanical, detailing, upgrade threads, classified and vendors threads you can go.  And they are for the most part moderated so you don't have to deal with overlap and people crossing lines, because of all this you get a much better draw.  Theres good people here but you talking the same 50 people or less, the forum is pretty poor in terms of enthusiast sites out there go.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:59 AM, soldier4402 said:

I don't think they monitor much on this page that's why its a pretty poor forum and participation all around.  Only reason I stick around is kills time and in general the conversations stay pretty civil compared to others.  But in terms of what other forums offer for boats, and cars, this one is pretty weak.

Very true.  It used to be much more interesting but has definitely crapped out in the past couple of years.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:16 PM, soldier4402 said:

Its definitely ok, but compared to say an OSO, challengertalk, camaro1 etc, this website is bottom barrel.  Hey their page they can do what they want.  Some of these other forums have 100k worth of threads which is a treasure trove of info.  And its not like its bulky to get through either.  Other pages have mechanical, detailing, upgrade threads, classified and vendors threads you can go.  And they are for the most part moderated so you don't have to deal with overlap and people crossing lines, because of all this you get a much better draw.  Theres good people here but you talking the same 50 people or less, the forum is pretty poor in terms of enthusiast sites out there go.

lol, right on all points.

Chaparral is NOT  NOT a special use boat.

It is a  "  Lets take a ride in a normal boat.  ".  Average people with some common problems. That need a answer in their original post.

Almost everyone tries to add sincere help.  Wingnut & Shepherd do their best to catch a not correct answer.

Unfortunately I have had issues with my 2015 216 ssi(50th anniversary addition) .  I bought the boat in August of 2016 with the 5 year warranty. I got the folding tower option and when I took the boat out this spring All the bimini hardware just fell off or was hanging by a thread. It appears they used non-stainless hardware with toggle bolts which completely rusted and failed. After further inspection I checked the tower and noticed large cracks in the powder coated finish on each side where it connects to the boat. On one side there is a 3" break in the weld at the base so its basically coming apart.  I have been trying to get my dealer and Chaparral to respond for several weeks and the process has been really painful just to get a call back. Chaparral has offered nothing. No response, no concern about the potential for injury or worse. 

Shocking since I view this as a major safety issue. Crazy thing is we have never used the tower to tow anyone and the boat has less than 75 hours on it.
It scares me to think what could have happened if the top or tower came loose and hit someone. 

I really hope Chaparral steps forward.  I am sure most on this forum felt like they were buying premium or at least high quality boat in Chaparral. So far, immensely disappointing for me to say the least. 

If you have the folding tower on your boat I would check it very closely.

Update. Since this was posted Chaparral has agreed to build a new tower for the boat. No timetable but they are going to stand behind the product per my dealer.

Looking forward to getting this replaced and back to enjoying the boat.:clapsmiley:

13 minutes ago, Mark Browning said:

Update. Since this was posted Chaparral has agreed to build a new tower for the boat. No timetable but they are going to stand behind the product per my dealer.

Looking forward to getting this replaced and back to enjoying the boat.:clapsmiley:

:clapsmiley: