crc_3839

Chaparral's quality going downhill

We took delivery of new Signature 270 last July, and in past year we’ve had no problems. All systems are green and go. Well made boat and this is our third boat of this size and class.  Best one of the three is the Chap. That’s been our experience. 

Peace,

Joe

On 6/22/2018 at 9:51 AM, Mark Browning said:

Update. Since this was posted Chaparral has agreed to build a new tower for the boat. No timetable but they are going to stand behind the product per my dealer.

Looking forward to getting this replaced and back to enjoying the boat.:clapsmiley:

Well, it's now July 17th. I have been trying to get an update as to when the tower will be ready. Crickets..... Half the summer is gone and I still don't have a usable bimini top and the tower continues to deteriorate. Totally unsafe to tow anything and I have been taking it easy with the boat due to fear of it breaking or coming loose further.   Hopefully I have some news soon but so far it's been a long series of voicemails, pictures sent, an agreement to repair but no action.  1st contact was June 3rd.

I know this thread is old but I just posted about our new 21’ surf. Same quality issues. I didn’t think I need to do a quality check before I accepted it and guess what the dealer is out once it left his door. What a joke. These things are not cheap to buy. We even waited 2 weeks for it to be “prepped” I have seen bayliners that had better fit and finish for half the cost! So much for chaparral being a top shelf brand. 

1 hour ago, T. Heath said:

I know this thread is old but I just posted about our new 21’ surf. Same quality issues. I didn’t think I need to do a quality check before I accepted it and guess what the dealer is out once it left his door. What a joke. These things are not cheap to buy. We even waited 2 weeks for it to be “prepped” I have seen bayliners that had better fit and finish for half the cost! So much for chaparral being a top shelf brand. 

Did you purchase the H20? I'm pretty sure the hull and interior is the same quality as the Vortex. Thinking about looking into the SSI surf and hopefully the quality will be better.

On 6/14/2018 at 6:35 PM, Lemon Aid said:

Get it right now...I bought 2015 307 SSX 50th anniversary with a “wonderful extended warranty” for five years.  It’s interesting how the booklet for warranty is about all the exclusions.  Basically nothing is covered past the first year. 

yup I hear you sort of sucks  1 year with chap 4 years with who knows who. Mine is elite package in 2015 had some gelcoat issues chap said they fixed it dealer said there guy didn't I got screwed know trying to find a honest dealer or repair guy I figured it be under warranty but both are pointing fingers

My number one rule- never buy a brand new boat. I buy 4-6 years old with all the punch list items worked out... Thats about the time people realize what a hassle it is for a depreciating item they never use anyways and get rid of it...

8 hours ago, Phillbo said:

My number one rule- never buy a brand new boat. I buy 4-6 years old with all the punch list items worked out... Thats about the time people realize what a hassle it is for a depreciating item they never use anyways and get rid of it...

My best friend is a broker out of Sugarland Texas, and has a Suncoast with less than 40 hours, which was garage kept. Woman's husband dies, and Jim goes to look at the boat. Then he see's every option that Chap offers, with all the canvas goodies still sealed in the factory bags. Trailer was used once to launch the boat until it arrived in it's covered slip on a hydra-hoist. 50 large takes it which is hard for the owner to accept, but age rules the market, not condition. The thing still has 4 years of warranty left. Nice.  W

On 6/24/2018 at 10:53 PM, NC-H20 said:

Congrats on your new H2O - it’s a great boat!  Sounds like you have a similar dealer who appreciates your business (i.e., as they should).

Enjoy and have a great summer.

NC-H2O

I know this is a old post but I gotta say my experience was great!! We picked up a 19 h20 sport and everything was spot on. My dealer went above and beyond showing us everything about the boat. Included fenders, lines, and all safety equipment. We are beyond happy and wil stick with Chap...

The slacking quality is more an issue in the entry level boats. The cruisers are less of an issue when it comes to QC...

2 hours ago, Phillbo said:

The slacking quality is more an issue in the entry level boats. The cruisers are less of an issue when it comes to QC...

My experience is that in spite of manufacturing variance across product lines the philosophy is constant. 

The cost cutting, work-around, customer support and dealer support are consistent. 

There really is no such thing as “...this model boat is high quality but the other model boat is fraught with factory defects...”

3 hours ago, El Comandante said:

I’m watching this thread as a SR owner looking to upgrade in quality. 

This makes SR shine. 

I`m sure if I were to look, I`d see similar threads on the SR site from their owners. I`ll keep my Chap.

Just now, Chap243 said:

I`m sure if I were to look, I`d see similar threads on the SR site from their owners. I`ll keep my Chap.

For sure there is which is why I am considering Chap but....

21 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

My 1984 Lowe aluminum is still a virgin..   :)

Not quite sure how to take that ......

Not a replaced or patched up place on her.  A real Timex ?

There is nothing to the hull. Just .040 Marine Grade ? Aluminum.  According to Lowe Boats. It has survived freezing water in the 1/2 round hull frames.  Building was leaking into the hull 2 winters. Great little boat. The welds & rivets are tight.  If a boat is built as designed ?   Long term happiness.  :)