watson524

Towing tube from 264

Hi all,

I haven't towed from our new boat and we have company coming the week of the 4th with their young daughter who wants to tube. I'm looking into tubes for 2 or 3 people I guess (we have an old single tube O'Brien but she's only 7 so I want to make sure an adult can be on with her). On the old boat we towed tubes from the transom eyes. That can't work because they're under the platform. We do have the ski hook on the transom but I'm thinking that might swamp the tube. Do people just fold up the bimini and tow from up there? Just look a line around the recess in the base of the nav light area?

Thanks for any tips/advice.

I`ve pulled tubes from my transom hook before and it works good. The rope can submerge in turns but you pulling a 7 yr old, I wouldn`t think you would be driving real aggressive anyway. It should work fine for you needs. I`m leery of tubing from my tower as a tube can exert some serious stress on the tower and mounts because of the tubes resistance , especially if the tube becomes submerged.

16 minutes ago, Chap243 said:

I`ve pulled tubes from my transom hook before and it works good. The rope can submerge in turns but you pulling a 7 yr old, I wouldn`t think you would be driving real aggressive anyway. It should work fine for you needs. I`m leery of tubing from my tower as a tube can exert some serious stress on the tower and mounts because of the tubes resistance , especially if the tube becomes submerged.

Nope definitely no aggressive driving, even with any adults that want to try it. I guess I didn't realize a tube would have that much more resistance than a wake board but that makes sense. I've seen some tubes with a ball that goes on the rope about midway which I assume is to stop the submersion 

Anyone have any recommendations on tubes that aren't super big but can handle say 2 adults? I guess we'll inflate and deflate each time maybe or just put it on the platform for transport

I tow from the hook on the transom.  Only very low profile tubes are a problem when it comes to the rope submerging.  I use the booster ball for those tubes.

1 minute ago, MonkeySeaII said:

I tow from the hook on the transom.  Only very low profile tubes are a problem when it comes to the rope submerging.  I use the booster ball for those tubes.

Ok so I'll go with the tow hook (which is good, then I can keep the bimini open, I LOVE having that thing, didn't know how much I was missing without one - I don't tollerate direct sun well at all).

I'm looking at one of those tubes that's more like a couch where you sit up or you can turn around on your knees. Anyone have one like that? I'm thinking for a young kid those seem safer than the big wide open floating "tubes" which apparently aren't tubes like my old one, they're more like big disks.

I agree with you re: the bimini; even with my large bimini, still plenty of sun to be had.  It is almost always deployed.

I don't much care for tubing, but I think I'd like the style you've suggested.  Put me back there with a refreshing beverage and hit 5 mph please . . . adult tubing.

2 minutes ago, Futzin' said:

I don't much care for tubing, but I think I'd like the style you've suggested.  Put me back there with a refreshing beverage and hit 5 mph please . . . adult tubing.

That's exactly what I'm thinking!! I couldn't possibly tube the old way anymore, I already pay my chiropractor enough, but sitting up right just tootling along would be awesome!! Too bad our river is behind the no wake/tow zone, that'd be cool to float down there.

can someone explain the proper way to attach a tow rope to the transom hook.  want to make sure i am doing it right before i give it a try in a couple weeks

The speedy bouncing up & down ride ???  The dentists who replace crowns  & doctors who put stitches in lips & tongues.   ALL LOVE YOU VERY MUCH.

Keep tubing.      :thl_speedboat:

1 hour ago, watson524 said:

Ok so I'll go with the tow hook (which is good, then I can keep the bimini open, I LOVE having that thing, didn't know how much I was missing without one - I don't tollerate direct sun well at all).

I'm looking at one of those tubes that's more like a couch where you sit up or you can turn around on your knees. Anyone have one like that? I'm thinking for a young kid those seem safer than the big wide open floating "tubes" which apparently aren't tubes like my old one, they're more like big disks.

I did a lot of research on towables when we got ours, as my daughter was 4 or 5 at the time, and I wanted something fun, but safe.  After lots of reading, watching video comparisons, etc, we settled on a Connelly Fun 3 (https://www.connellyskis.com/fun-3.html) as it received very high marks for stability when towed from the front, but can be reversed, allowing people to have a more exciting ride.  They also make 2 and 4-person versions.  

It's been a great towable, very high quality, and extremely stable.

10 minutes ago, sburke91 said:

I did a lot of research on towables when we got ours, as my daughter was 4 or 5 at the time, and I wanted something fun, but safe.  After lots of reading, watching video comparisons, etc, we settled on a Connelly Fun 3 (https://www.connellyskis.com/fun-3.html) as it received very high marks for stability when towed from the front, but can be reversed, allowing people to have a more exciting ride.  They also make 2 and 4-person versions.  

It's been a great towable, very high quality, and extremely stable.

Thanks for the feedback!! How big is that thing when blown up and what do you do with it when not in use? Say you do some tubing, then ride around, then do some more tubing, I'm assuming you don't inflate/deflate each time so just hang from the swim platform? We have a decently sized boat but I know they can get a lot smaller with a tube in them :)

And one other thing, on a 2 person tube (or 3) if you have 1 (or 2) people on it, is that ok? We'd go with a 2 person since we don't have that many people that would do it I don't think but didn't know if it was ok to ride with max - 1 people

3 hours ago, watson524 said:

Thanks for the feedback!! How big is that thing when blown up and what do you do with it when not in use? Say you do some tubing, then ride around, then do some more tubing, I'm assuming you don't inflate/deflate each time so just hang from the swim platform? We have a decently sized boat but I know they can get a lot smaller with a tube in them :)

And one other thing, on a 2 person tube (or 3) if you have 1 (or 2) people on it, is that ok? We'd go with a 2 person since we don't have that many people that would do it I don't think but didn't know if it was ok to ride with max - 1 people

Our Fun 3 is pretty sizable when inflated (I'll try to measure it if we inflate it over the weekend), but narrow enough to strap it to the swim platform when it's inflated by not in use.  I usually use a dock line to strap it up on the swim platform, then, if we anchor somewhere, use the same line as a tether.  The kids use it as a raft when we're at anchor.  It works fine with 1, 2 or 3 on it. 

Here's some video from a couple summers ago, towing behind our 225.  I use a transom harness for tube pulling.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AgSRJ1WhyvIqmS2w0-udABih0WhG

7 minutes ago, sburke91 said:

Here's some video from a couple summers ago, towing behind our 225.  I use a transom harness for tube pulling.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AgSRJ1WhyvIqmS2w0-udABih0WhG

oh wow, so do you just jump in the water to hook to the transom eyes under the platform? I can't get to mine without being under there and I guess I didn't realize the platform was that high off the water when underway.

2 minutes ago, WaterDR said:

We have moved away from towable and now use a lillypad 

That's also something I plan to investigate since tubing/water sports is not going to be a main thing for us, but given the 7 year old visiting..... I've heard those lily pads can roll up and support a bunch of people

As said, never tow a tube from ski pylon on arch, you could do some serious damage if the tube submerges. Tow from the eye above the swim platform. We use a Super Mabel, three person, stows in the bow ski locker.

1 minute ago, Toddavid said:

As said, never tow a tube from ski pylon on arch, you could do some serious damage if the tube submerges. Tow from the eye above the swim platform. We use a Super Mabel, three person, stows in the bow ski locker.

Good to know about Super Mabel fitting up there. I was looking at Big Mabel which is the two person. Do you use the inflator on the boat? I haven't tried it but I'm hearing it's a long slow process.

Remember I built a central inflation/deflation station with a shop vac. 5min to do each task.

1 hour ago, watson524 said:

oh wow, so do you just jump in the water to hook to the transom eyes under the platform? I can't get to mine without being under there and I guess I didn't realize the platform was that high off the water when underway.

I can reach the transom eyes by laying on the swim platform.  That said, the first time I hooked up the harness, it was more of a reach than I expected.

32 minutes ago, watson524 said:

Oh that's right! (I've kept that link open, just not ready to do modifications yet LOL)

This also inflates pretty quickly:

https://www.amazon.com/Airhead-High-Pressure-Air-Pump/dp/B000OF92KA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529027439&sr=8-1&keywords=airhead+high+pressure+air+pump%2C+12v

I put a 30 amp trolling motor outlet (on a dedicated breaker) on the hull just above the swim platform, but if you're not ready to drill holes yet, it can just clip to the battery terminals.

17 hours ago, watson524 said:

I have one like that.  It's a 2 person tube that looks like a lazy boy:)  HO is the brand.  I also have an old "Viper" 2 person tube that is really low profile.  That's what I used the Booster Ball for