Lemon Aid

Thru Hull Exhaust Water Leak...help pls

2015 SSX 307 thru hull exhaust is leaking water into the bilge on both sides.  See attached picture as example of one side.  

Chap will not cover the issue...hoping someone has some advice on what could be the issue on recommendations on how to correct...

I’m very concerned something wasn’t designed right or manufactured correctly since it’s on both sides.  It was likely an issue for awhile that went unnoticed, but discovered when an inspection occurred when the float switch wore out recently.  

Thabk you for any advice. 

7658BF89-B0EB-4593-9691-1568A88E55C0.jpeg

Is it a slow leak to whereas you could apply plumber’s puddy,  RTV or Plastiseal to eliminate the leak?

Remove the exhaust make sure any exposed hull is sealed with resin.   Then a double bead of 3M caulk on the exhaust flange, maybe even make a stainless 1" wide plate to go from bolt to bolt to use on the inside instead of those washers.

3M makes some great above water and below sealants.

If you don't want to remove the flange clean out the old caulk best you can and lay a new bead, but I would not bet on that working water has a way of going where it wants.

Call the company. Send the picture & posting............... They will tell you it is a problem that a new complete set of gaskets will solve.  My opinion.

Can be replaced in a small rowboat boat along side ?

I would loosen the bolts (screws) on the fixture and the clamps, pull it out a bit. Clean off the hull and exhaust fitting.  Reseal it using 3m 5200 or 4200.

11 hours ago, Toddler said:

I would loosen the bolts (screws) on the fixture and the clamps, pull it out a bit. Clean off the hull and exhaust fitting.  Reseal it using 3m 5200 or 4200.

+1

Whatever you decide, do it right.  If ignored or "caulked around the edges" this non-problem could become a major problem.  "Caulking around the edges" could hide the problem, and cause a much larger issue to develop over time.  There are probably gaskets on both sides (outside/inside) that just need replaced, or the bolts re-torqued.  Regardless, disassemble, clean, replace the gaskets (if so equipped) and use 3M's 5200.  Spread the 5200 evenly, on both sides, and after the bolts have been torqued properly, wipe away the excess.  Follow 3M's directions regarding dry time.  Don't rush it and compromise your hard work by cheating dry time.  Jdsdls05 has a great point regarding fabricating a stainless plate.  This is a great idea.  Don't panic, this is an addressable issue.   

I have never seen 5200 wiped away. It gets spread around more & more as you try to remove it. Wait until you want to remove a 5200 glued in place part. I only use 5200 on a part I / me will never have to deal with again.

I would buy new gasket set if the bolts are loose enough to allow a leak.

I'm laughing as I read your post, because, yes, I've been down that messy road before and you are right.  Whether white or black 5200, when trying to wipe away excess it smears all over and is a pain to remove from everything (including your hands).  So, the moral is, use the right amount, no more and no less, and don't mess with it.  Agree with gaskets provided they are available.  Even if they aren't, you can make a set easily.  The key here, fix the leak and don't ignore. 

On 6/15/2018 at 7:52 AM, jdsdls05 said:

Remove the vent make sure any exposed hull is sealed with resin.   Then a double bead of 3M caulk on the exhaust flange, maybe even make a stainless 1" wide plate to go from bolt to bolt to use on the inside instead of those washers.

3M makes some great above water and below sealants.

If you don't want to remove the flange clean out the old caulk best you can and lay a new bead, but I would not bet on that working water has a way of going where it wants.

Thanks.  I’m pretty sure there are no gaskets...the bolts are snug.  I need to buy some 3M (hearing 5200 is maybe risky or hard to deal with...I need to do a comparison with 4200).  I really wish Chaparral would fix the issue or weigh since they are the expert.  The dealer isn’t quite sure what’s going on either or why this would occur...we are suppose to meet on how to attack the problem, but that just likely means $$$.  It’s a premium $ feature that should be designed robust enough so that leaks don’t occur (no leaks are kinda fundamental especially for a boat with only three summer seasons). 

I appreciate all the advice and options. 

On 6/15/2018 at 7:52 AM, jdsdls05 said:

I’m trying to determine if there is another source of a leak...when I pull the boat out of water and put the muffs on the engines to clear the salt water out, I’m experiencing very hot water coming out of the side thru hull exhaust.  I check the engine temp gauges and they are steady at 175 degrees.  Is it normal for water to come out of the thru hull exhaust for Chaparrals?  Thx.