huhner

Bleeding of Snap Eyelets

Forum team,

I have a quick question...I have custom snap eyelets to allow my cover to be snapped into place along the whole boat...  What drives me crazy is that these eyelets bleed all the time and then I end up having a grey/dirty residue onto the sides of my boat which I always have to polish up with polish or wax.  Does anyone know how to get around this issue?  Are there different kinds of snaps? Thanks in advance for your help.

H

Bleeding? Is it rust? I would talk to the shop that installed them and replace with SS snaps. 

Is the runoff from under the snap like rust or from the cover that is attached to them?

In any case, the dark color signs of runoffs happen everywhere where rain water flows down, with or without the cover. It's the air pollution, dust and pollen that stains the gelcoat. The snaps are water collection/diversion points and the runoff flows from them down the hull and stains the gelcoat.

Neither of my 2002 Chaps bleed anything. Both have factory original black covers.

All my light colored cars, trucks, and boats have the same "problem" of rain runoff stains.

There is a simple and easy solution ... washing more often ... :)

I have this issue too,  haven’t found anything to do but wax them out every so often 

Thanks all... sounds like there isn't really a solution other than washing!  

Could wash the cover per Sunbrella instructions , then coat with 303 waterproofing spray. 

I do what gr8lakes and White Shadow do.  For over 60 years on my & friends boats. We replace any tight SS snaps as soon as we feel them.

Stains ?   Up here on the USA & Canada border we have a MUCH LESS pollen, dust & road dirt problem to cause run down stains.  ALL those forest fires & volcanos tossing up dust are not helping the streaks problem.  Long droughts cause the airborne dust build up some years.

Again...I have the same issue.  I think it’s dirt and grime running off the cover.  Looks like it’s from the snaps but not.  I could be wrong.

next year when we swap marinas I’ll let you know.

Are the snaps made of Stainless Steel or Nickel.  The Nickel ones tend to leave streaks.

I've got the same issue.  I think they are stainless but not 100% sure as mine is  new to me this year.  The bleeding/streaking is annoying...  Going to try vaseline and see if that helps

Same problem here on our new boat. Never had an issue on the old on but that always had a full mooring cover on and the sides were covered so things ran off it differently. Now we switch between bow and cockpit and mooring cover (no snaps). I haven't checked to see if it only happens with the bow and cockpit cover on or not.

Something to double check and confirm.  Our experience with one-Sea Ray and two-Chaparral's, all with black canvas bow and cockpit covers, is that they get surprisingly dirty over a short period of time, especially in the spring and fall.  When it rains, all of the dust, pollen, bugs, etc. that collect wash into and down the sides (more into though).  Unsightly, yes;  permanent, no.  Snap-on covers seem to have similar weakness, more so with our two Chaparral's at the pass-through and around the fixed arch, leakage.  Funny observation, I can't seemingly get the covers nearly as clean as a good rain does.  With our former Sunesta 264, I'd take it out of the boathouse occasionally and leave it in the rain so the arch cover would get a thorough cleaning (bow and cockpit cover as well). 

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Something to double check and confirm.  Our experience with one-Sea Ray and two-Chaparral's, all with black canvas bow and cockpit covers, is that they get surprisingly dirty over a short period of time, especially in the spring and fall.  When it rains, all of the dust, pollen, bugs, etc. that collect wash into and down the sides (more into though).  Unsightly, yes;  permanent, no.  Snap-on covers seem to have similar weakness, more so with our two Chaparral's at the pass-through and around the fixed arch, leakage.  Funny observation, I can't seemingly get the covers nearly as clean as a good rain does.  With our former Sunesta 264, I'd take it out of the boathouse occasionally and leave it in the rain so the arch cover would get a thorough cleaning (bow and cockpit cover as well). 

This year is really bad for pollen around here and I don't know if it's just dumb luck timing with what cover is on and the rain that happens but our navy blue bow/cockpit cover gets almost a yellow haze to it in spots. Things definitely will get in around the arch but I feel like the canvas bow/cockpit collects more "yuck" than the nylon black mooring cover.

Which reminds me, I need to take the bow and cockpit cover and treat them with 303. Not sure if I can do that on the nylon cover so I need to check into that.

As mentioned....mine does it too.  But I don’t think it’s the snaps.  I think is grime running off the cover.  The snaps are the low drain points.

WaterDR.  You hit the nail on the head.

watson524.  There are spots the collect more water than others.  It's normal.  To see this, take a look at the covers when it's raining.  You'll see low spots here and there, and this is where water and this scum collects.  When the water dries out/evaporates, the scum is more concentrated and creates these visible spots.  If you'd like to keep your new Sunesta, or any boat for that matter,  totally clean, under a boathouse it goes or use a single piece mooring cover that extends below the rub rail/gunwale. 

Just started this problem as well. Never had it happen untill this year i put my bow and stern covers in my washing machine. Ran them on 2 cycles each. Put them on the boat and applied 2 coats of water proofer. Now i get streaks.