Sign in to follow this  
cyclops2

WHERE ARE ALL MY FISHING ITEMS ?

Need to buy the following missing items in 1 year.

Bass sized net

Light weight boat raincoat

Berkley long fishhook pliers

Spool of 4 # test braided fish line.

Spare Worth Anchor lift.

The price of being 80 years old.  :wub:

I bet you find a few lures in the bottom of several gin and tonic glasses also.

The cottage dock bottom area has several other items out of sight.  Due to early stages of .........something.       :)

I have tried using a plastic magnet, a S S magnet,  a G & T  glass magnet............ Alas

Just out of curiosity, what is the purpose of this thread, exactly?

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:59 PM, cyclops2 said:

Clopudus, in all those 80 years (and hopefully many more), have you ever seen a flying fish up close like this?

DizcZ3EWkAAIka8.jpg

How about an orca getting some serious air like this one?

Di4comZWwAAIXTq.jpg

I have seen & eaten those much smaller flying fish in the tropics. They were landing on our boat deck.

48 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

I have seen & eaten those much smaller flying fish in the tropics. They were landing on our boat deck.

Yeah that was a big one in that pic.  What fin-wings, though.

So listen, speaking of tropics, we're towing the 276 in early October from Boston all the way down to South FLA for 10 days of boating and fishing the tropics and we're cruising right through NJ, get ready with all your fishing shhttuuff and you can jump in the dually and come down with us.  We're also going on a yellow fin tuna fishing trip while down there.  Those things are one of the most fun fish to catch and eat of course. 

Check this out, some of the best fishing. 

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:59 PM, cyclops2 said:

Need to buy the following missing items in 1 year.

Bass sized net

Light weight boat raincoat

Berkley long fishhook pliers

Spool of 4 # test braided fish line.

Spare Worth Anchor lift.

Clopadopadus, did you hear about this ordeal?  Happened in your neck of the woods a couple of days ago.  Whale flipped these two older gents' boat over.  Doesn't look like either of them got hurt thank God but man, at that age and a whale coming up from under your boat and tossing it upside down must not have been a very pleasant thing to go through. 

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:27 PM, cyclops2 said:

Son of Moby Dick ?

Henh?

Epirb saves the day for these clowns.  They were out 10 miles offshore and their boat ends up taking on water and capsizes and their Epirb automatically sent out a beacon.  Coast Guard helo shows up first and diver jumps out of it.  Pretty wild situation but it's very weird how that boat got a huge gash and crack right along the keel 10 miles out off the coast of NC.  You can clearly see it halfway through the video and it probably didn't help these clowns were @#$%@#faced lol.  But what a great example of how a piece of tech can save the day.  Mine is still in its package from 3 years ago.  Definitely need to hook it up before going way out.

Pause it @3:36 and you can see the keel almost looks like it was pried apart.

A fella on another forum who is also local to my area posted this pic he took of a pair of humpback whales tossing a crapload of pogies around.  What a photo!

69274c94_29a5_4455_a231_b683abb4f8cf_987

The area he saw them is about 3-4 miles east offshore from our marina.  Definitely enticed the old curiosity factor so as we head to the marina in about 20 minutes, this will be our first destination prior to hitting the beach further north.  If we see any, I'll take a bunch of pics and we'll definitely fly the drone and get some aerial footage.

I just hope -- if they are in the area -- that they don't decide to breach next to or on top of the 276, eeesh.  That would pretty much royally suck and ruin the day at the same time, perhaps the entire summer!  Will have to keep the fishfinder on at all times.  I've never seen a whale on a fishfinder.  Wonder how big that blob looks like?! lol.

Also we've been getting a lot of great white sharks in Cape Cod this year.  When we went down looking for them in 2015, we didn't see any even though we went to the main area where they've been sighted and tagged and where the transmitter sonar buoys are set up.  Basically where the largest concentration of seals are in the Cape.  But there has been a lot of sightings this year, all the way up to Provincetown including the horrible accident that happened to that 61 yearold fella in Truro who decided to swim out 30 yards offshore with a pack of seals.  Ended up almost loosing his leg and was in a coma for a while.  They just classified him as stable after being in critical condition for 2 weeks in the hospital.  There are pics of the bite wound online and it's unbelievable that this guy not only survived, but might not lose the leg either. 

The temperature was 97 degrees on the ocean yesterday!  It was brutally warm and muggy and the greenflies were out in full force.  Man those things suck!  Even 7 miles out at this rock they were trying to bite us left and right.  Anyway, we didn't see any whales of course, since we were out looking for them!  But it's pretty wild that rock sticks out of the water at an average depth of 110' with no outcropping rocks to form the island.  It was basically a prick that stuck right out of the water.  It has beautiful corals around it also.   Someone called in a humpback siting about 20 miles north of us.  So they are around including in Boston Harbor.  Maybe someday we'll be lucking enough to see one up close to the boat. 

Here's a couple more pics that fella took of the whales in that area.  Great photography.

D72_0997-18D72_1017-19

Check out this bad larry caught by these guys up here in Gloucester two days ago.  Blufin Tuna weighing in at a mere 1,203lbs and measuring 10'-3" long lmfao!

53f64a4f_096f_4cda_a07d_71ff6afe0e08_c2c 

Cyclopadus, we had a cute little visitor to the Chaparral yesterday.  Checked the reports early in the morning and there was a pod of dolphins seen almost in the same vicinity of where those humpback wales were, about 7 miles offshore from our harbor.  So we trekked out there and of course, no dolphins but then this fella swam right up to the boat.  He first came from the back and right up to the swim platform, stuck his head up as if he was going to jump on the swim platform but then thought better and circled the boat a couple of times. Went under and around and we were loving it.  I tried to grab my phone and take pictures as much as I could but was enjoying the moment more so than trying to take pictures, so I missed a lot of great shots but that's ok.  He was also moving all the time and it was tough getting the phone camera to focus fast enough.  It was so cool and he was definitely a baby, or at least a very young seal by himself.  Hope there weren't any great whites around.

ZFwcemB.jpg

udBZYat.jpg

Y4EWQpn.jpg

Going out solo today.  Be nice to hook a couple of blues or stripers or even a mako or thresher, they're certainly out there.  A lot of guys catching sharks this year.  Maybe even some Atlantic mackerel. 

The temperature has DEFINITELY changed.  Much cooler temps inland and probably several degrees cooler on the water.  Time to wear gaddam pants while boating!  Sucks!  You know when you gotta wear pants on the boat it ain't warm.

Who's familiar with Mackerel, anyone?  Clopadus?  Yesterday I caught a dozen of these guys but this is the first time I think I've caught this particular type of mackerel since I think it's a different subspecies of Atlantic mackerel.  Not only its color was yellower/greenish than the others, but look at its dam teeth!

X2RTwBn.jpg

aRjhbsB.jpg

Compare those 2 barracuda mackerel with the next 2 below that don't have them sharp daggers and are a bit bluer in color.  I can't seem to find the appropriate names to the two, or if they are indeed different subspecies of mackerel.  The zebra zig-zag pattern is also different.  Anyone?

TE1dU1j.jpg

ftSDRUM.jpg

So I found out that the fish we caught the other day in the top two pics above are young Bonito.  They're part of the mackerel/tuna family and supposedly are VERY tasty.  Little did we know but I could tell by how zippy fast and feisty they were, quite different from the Atlantic mackerel in the bottom pics.  I've also found out that they've only been up here in these numbers the last couple of years which is making a lot of people very excited.  I'm heading out solo early this morning before work and taking the Chap out and see if I can catch a few bigger ones like this one!

Bonito2.jpg