gwscot2

Cooler recommendations

Let’s hear what kind of cooler you use to keep the lake necessities cold!  - Pictures welcomed :)

Looking for hard and soft cooler suggestions. 

I have Yeti's and Rtic coolers.  They are heavy and the inside dimension is smaller than your regular cooler.  But they hold the ice all day long no matter what the temp is.  For two days on the water I use those.  For one day on the water, the marine igloo is just fine.

I've never found a soft cooler that held ice well. I just use your regular Igloo but I'm sure you get a lot of recommendations for the Yeti coolers... Personally I can buy a Lot of ice for the price of a Yeti and they take up a LOT of room.  

Rtic soft coolers will hold ice for two days.  The trick is to make sure your drinks are cold before putting them in the cooler.  Room temp beverages will melt a 20lb bag of ice fast.

Rtic Soft Cooler

Always pre cool the drinks. I also freeze most of the water bottles since I boat in Az I can take one out and it will thaw in less than an hour. 

We can do 6 days on the lake and only have to buy Ice once. 

2 cooler system. Food cooler is in the galley and all the meats are packed frozen. 2 frozen 2 liter bottles of water. Packed with each days meal stacked so all you have to do is open and grab the top zip lock. It gets 2 bags of ice and is only opened 2 times a day. Since it's in the galley under the berth it last a long time (have gone 4 days). Drink cooler is in the cockpit and everything is pre chilled and the waters frozen. 2 1 gallon water bottles frozen are nice. I take one out every 2 days and let it thaw and fill smaller drinking bottles as it does. I can go 3 days on that cooler only because as the ice melts I'm required to drink my scotch neat and I'm not a fan :)

Ice on our lake is  $6.00 a bag ( has to be barged up 45 miles ) so we try to maximize the ice we buy on land. 

I have had really good luck with this soft cooler from Ozark Trail.  It’s a Yeti knockoff but works just as well.  High quality zippers, no water leaks, and nice padded carry strap makes it easy to carry around.

Full day, full sun, in and out constantly and still ice at the end. Probably not a multi day cooler if you are in/out often but get the job done for me at a fraction of the price.

I caught it on sale for only $39

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Premium-Jumbo-Tote-Gray/188204328

Just took a minute to look at some of the recent reviews and they don’t look great... 

who knows, I love ours 

The new backpack coolers from yeti and otter box look nice for ease of transport but $$$

Small Danby  fridge.  

Use it sometime with ice packs or hook it to shore power.  Denny.

IMG_5510.jpg

2 hours ago, Phillbo said:

Always pre cool the drinks. I also freeze most of the water bottles since I boat in Az I can take one out and it will thaw in less than an hour. 

We can do 6 days on the lake and only have to buy Ice once. 

2 cooler system. Food cooler is in the galley and all the meats are packed frozen. 2 frozen 2 liter bottles of water. Packed with each days meal stacked so all you have to do is open and grab the top zip lock. It gets 2 bags of ice and is only opened 2 times a day. Since it's in the galley under the berth it last a long time (have gone 4 days). Drink cooler is in the cockpit and everything is pre chilled and the waters frozen. 2 1 gallon water bottles frozen are nice. I take one out every 2 days and let it thaw and fill smaller drinking bottles as it does. I can go 3 days on that cooler only because as the ice melts I'm required to drink my scotch neat and I'm not a fan :)

Ice on our lake is  $6.00 a bag ( has to be barged up 45 miles ) so we try to maximize the ice we buy on land. 

Still can buy a small bag of ice here on the lake for 1.25 to 2.00, depending where you are.

It is hard when you are a captive audience, like your, to get a bargain.  Denny.

Some guys that I know, when they go on extended trips, line the bottom of their coolers with dry ice.  Denny.

I spent the Money an bought an ARB 37 quart refrigerator/freezer. Runs on 12/24 or 110v. It will get your drinks cold fast an plenty of room cause you don’t need ICE. Love mine. 

Cooler I have just regular Igloo's, plus the boat cooler. I only empty half the water out every morning then a bag of ice with a home made block.  We make the blocks from empty Cascade tubs the dishwasher soap comes in. Rinse them out then fill with water put the lid back on, 2 days in the freezer they're good to go. I park the boat at the marina when we're on vacation most times it's covered for the night, If I uncover it one morning and the Igloo's gone! Ho Well off to the 20 dollar Igloo store here we go. But if I uncover it and the 300+ dollar Yeti is gone I'm still going to the 20 dollar Igloo store but not going to be in a 20 dollar mood. Not counting the Cold Beer:pirate:

As others have said I can buy a lot of ice for 300 bucks, but If I lived in the desert Id think Id might be going the Yeti way.

Well this is interesting, Phil you boat at Powell and don't have a Yeti. When I was out there we were going through ice like crazy. We stopped at Dangling Rope one day, all They had left was 8-10# blocks of ice, "Great, I'll take 2". I was amazed at the boats reloading ice with 20# bags of cubes than blocks, blocks last longer.

Yeti's are too big and don't carry enough for my application. We manage ice well and avoid boating during the really hot summer months due to the crowds unless we have friends that are going to be on the lake. We spend a lot of time on the lake after the crowds leave. September and October are the best. Cooler days and the water is still warm. Plus, you know the good beaches are going to be available. 

I have the igloo cooler that came with the boat.  I am planning on modifying it to make it better.  Gonna drill a hole through the outer skin and inject expandable foam in between the outer and inner skin.  I think that will make this little cooler a LOT more efficient

Jonny

I have a Yeti hard cooler and an RTIC soft cooler.  Bot hold ice for 2 days.  

48 quart Coleman. Two 1.5 deer bags of ice, one dumped, the other one kept in the bag almost like a block. Keep it under the sunpad right next to the engine. Still has ice in it at the end of the day. Go figure. We are just day boaters and never overnight so it works. 

I've spent some time over the years figuring out best arrangement for our crew -- sometimes overnighting for 1 or 2 nights, mostly day.  I replaced the original igloo which fits under cockpit sink with a new one, since original was looking beat up and had a sharp edge.  New one is called igloo ultra -- better handles but I'm not sure how different...  Drinks in this -- using frozen 16oz water bottles to supplement the ice

For food, I use a norchill 24-can soft cooler and keep it under table in galley (below, out of sun).  Soft cooler is easier to manage down below than hard coolers, imo, given small space down there.  I'm going to try the idea of making an ice block from the cascade container, but to-date, I've always just used 16oz frozen water bottles.  I tried some of the blue cool packs, but prefer frozen water bottles since we can drink them in the end!  Also, I freeze the food beforehand if applicable.

https://www.norchillcoolers.com/product/marine-cooler/.  norchill has a deal where they give some 25% trade-up discount if you send in a pic of your old cooler; I've not done it, since I've found good promo discounts around holidays. 

has anyone found a cooler that fits under the cockpit sink, like the igloo oem arrangement?  From just looking at dimensions and design, it seems a yeti, rtic or other hard coolers wouldn't stay put like the igloo that is held in place by handle bracket.

On 6/21/2018 at 10:37 PM, Phillbo said:

can you use that on house battS?

Yes

We use the factory supplied Igloo Marine 25.  It keeps drinks cold for a day, which works for us. Not a great choice for multi-day outings, but it fits  

On my 220SSi I can reach back from the helm seat and grab a drink...

brick