Cooler recommendations

I have both hard and soft RTIC coolers, half the price of Yeti and do the same job as my friends Yetis.  Key is always to put already cold if you can in the cooler, if you so that the soft RTICs will hold ice for a few days the hard ones can go longer.  I agree not paying 3-400 bucks on coolers.  Think I got my soft RTIC the biggest one they had for 120 and a 4ft rtic hard cooler for less 200 think it was 150 or so.

there are 4 boats in our general group. Mostly day use only. 3 of us use Igloo 30 can marine coolers, seem to work well. One of the group bought a Yeti soft side, roughly 225 deer I think he said, he said it was a waste of money, hes not happy, especially for that price. Starts with cold drinks, adds ice. All ice melted after about 5 ish hours.

I have two yetis.  Yes....expensive.

I leave one on the boat.  It’s acts like a fridge.  It will keep ice for about a week.  

Each time we head to he boat, I bring a little ice, drain the water to the bilge and freshen it up.  I store soda and beer on the boat too.  Drinks are always cold and ready.

Swapped my Igloo for a Yeti 20. Fits in the cradle but needed a strap to hold it in and I can still open the engine hatch on my 270. If I pre cool my Yeti with cold water for a few hours and use  three 24 ounce ice blocks I make in my freezer, my Yeti will stay frozen for 30+ hours depending on how often its opened and will keep things cold enough to drink for 4 days.

I use an RTIC 40 qt soft cooler. (Cool blue water look too on the outside) I'm near Galveston, TX and in a 95 degree day, holds ice well. Due to heavy use, we just close the top once we start the party, without zipping. Keeps everything cold all day. Just for day trips. Don't know how an extended trip would hold up

view1.jpg

On 6/25/2018 at 7:25 PM, WaterDR said:

I have two yetis.  Yes....expensive.

I leave one on the boat.  It’s acts like a fridge.  It will keep ice for about a week.  

Each time we head to he boat, I bring a little ice, drain the water to the bilge and freshen it up.  I store soda and beer on the boat too.  Drinks are always cold and ready.

Where are you located? I would not expect any cooler to hold ice for a week in the 110* heat of Arizona. 

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...