Just 1 more

Fridge does not turn off 275 Ssi

New the forum, I am the proud new owner of 2007 275 Ssi.  My fourth Chap, and this one is nearly show room new.  I have a question that I wonder if any of you could answer.  The fridge on my boat stays on when using the house battery.  When using battery power, the red light on my electrical panel  flashes red.  Thought that might be normal, as when I use shore power, the green "normal" light glows.  But, even with shore power, the fridge does not turn off - - is this normal ?  Just thinking when using the house battery, using the ridge all the time may drain the battery quickly.  Thank you for your replies

Chap 275 Charlevoix.jpg

Electrical panel.jpg

You tried turning the thermostat ?   Still runs all the time ?

The 1 or MIN position is usually the least cold operating temperature, the 7 or MAX position is the coldest setting. Chances are the fridge's internal thermostat can be set to the OFF, ZERO (0) ... whatever its dial says ... position to switch the fridge off. The dial in my boat's fridge needs to be slightly forced into OFF position ... it feels like a switch click when getting it to the OFF position.

The galvanic isolator monitor lits red with no shore power as it should since the shore power circuit is "broken" when open.

The fridge is dual voltage (ac/dc).  It will utilize the DC current unless 110vac is present at which time it will switch to 110vac (shore power).  You can verify this by disconnecting shore power, then switching off your battery switch.  Fridge should power off.  Like others mentioned, if you simply want to shut down the fridge, turn the thermostat control all the way one direction until you feel a detent ("click").  That will power it off.

Regarding the red light flashing...something's wrong.  I'm not smart enough to help you there, but you probably should have it checked.  There was another thread where the poster said it would flash when out of the water with shore power connected thus breaking the galvanic isolation "circuit"?  Or something like that.  But your issue sounds different.

Nothing wrong with flashing red light on galvanic isolator while no shore power connected ... perfectly normal ... it means it works and says "broken" open shore power circuit. Connecting to shore power should clear the condition and lit the solid green light instead of flashing red. Then do a polarity test ... the other big red light should come on while the polarity toggle switch is on.

If in doubt, call marine electrician who can do the instrument testing.

1 hour ago, Richard W said:

Nothing wrong with flashing red light on galvanic isolator while no shore power connected ... perfectly normal ... it means it works and says "broken" open shore power circuit. Connecting to shore power should clear the condition and lit the solid green light instead of flashing red. Then do a polarity test ... the other big red light should come on while the polarity toggle switch is on.

If in doubt, call marine electrician who can do the instrument testing.

Mine has never flashed.  Hmmm..  Any thoughts as to why?

Sorry, no idea ... broken, miswired, replaced with a different model.

If there is no flashing red light with battery switches on and/or off while not connected to shore power, I would be concerned.

Thanks very much, guys.  Really appreciate the talk.  Will check it out more thoroughly this weekend, and look for that little detent / click to turn the fridge off when using the house battery.