mike2155

Bilge stays on

I have a 2014 206ssi and had to replace the battery today.  As soon as I did, I realized the bilge was staying on, and that must have been what killed the battery.  The toggle switch for the bilge is lit, but I can't turn it off.  I put some water in the bilge and it pumped it out just fine.  It just won't turn off.  

Do you think the problem is with the toggle switch or the actual pump itself.  For now I've disconnected the battery.  Also wondering whether it is safe to run the boat before I get this resolved.  Is it a problem for the pump to run dry?

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: Thank you everyone for your help.  There was some debris stuck under the float for the bilge pump.  I cleaned that out and everything is working properly.  Thanks again. 

Edited by mike2155
Problem resolved

Without me seeing the pump type & how it is wired ?  It should be a stuck up / on float switch. most common part to cause running pump.

Can you lift the float switch arm up & down ? does that still control the pump ON & OFF ?   Yes ?  Replace it.

I've got a 246SSI and my bilge usually runs a few min after turning the engine off no matter whether there is water to pump out or not.  The float appears to be in the fully down position.  I assume there is a timer as a safety precaution - but I could be incorrect in that assumption.

Thank you both.  I crawled down there and took a better look.  There was some debris under the float that I couldn't see from up top.  As soon as I cleared that out, everything was working perfectly.  

Thanks for the quick responses!

My float has stuck a few times on mine. There wasn't even any water in the bilge, I just drove up the ramp or the steep hill to my house and it was enough to activate it. I just give it a poke with one of my cover poles to stop it.

Will

I would be suspicious of any pump with the ability to run after power is turned off.  Not normal to run for several minutes with no water.

A test run with no water for a few seconds is normal on many computer pump models. I would see if you can read company & model number. Call the pump company for information.

13 hours ago, willbaker13 said:

I've got a 246SSI and my bilge usually runs a few min after turning the engine off no matter whether there is water to pump out or not.  The float appears to be in the fully down position.  I assume there is a timer as a safety precaution - but I could be incorrect in that assumption.

Your situation is not normal. If it is truly the bilge pump thats running, something is wrong and I would look into it as you want that pump available if needed and they really don't like being run dry.  W

Will

Do the lifting the float switch up and down.... carefully. If the sund goes ON & OFF with the float arm movement ? It is the pump in trouble.

If the pump sound keeps running ? Then it is not the bilge pump.  Normally.  ..............1 other possibility.    Someone has added a LIVE BAIT TANK switch to your bilge pump accidently. Some have a bunch of options on the running of the tank motor.  ................1 being the running of the pump out motor long enough  to drain the tank of water WHEN the ignition switch is turned off.    I remember many decades ago it had options of 2 or 3 position switch to get the pump in the tank to do any possible combinations of running times.

I go with  Wingnut being suspicious it IS NOT the bilge pump.  Or a timed bait tank  switch is jury rigged to even the fuel pump circuit.  Post back on what you find. 

This is a odd ball right now.

Thanks.  It may be a couple weeks before I can dig in as heavy travel schedule for work is going to prevent me from getting out.  Sitting in an airport now - ugh.  I appreciate all the thoughts/assistance.