Sign in to follow this  
DANCATAL

DOCK/SHORE POWER

I have a 2012 287 SSX and I am interested in installing shore power.

I have the outlet at my lift, just not familiar with how to outfit boat with converter nor where

to locate it on the boat?

Converter?   You may want to add a battery charger and inverter. Most shore power equipped rides have a dual voltage refrigerator, 115 VAC air conditioner, water heater and microwave. Lets answer what you intend to power with 115 VAC, and go from there.   W

2 hours ago, DANCATAL said:

I have a 2012 287 SSX and I am interested in installing shore power.

I have the outlet at my lift, just not familiar with how to outfit boat with converter nor where

to locate it on the boat?

I'm going to be doing a full install of shore power for my 276 in about a month or so.  I've had all the parts for the project for a while now just never was able to get to actually doing it.  I'll post pics and the process when the time comes.  Shore power at the marina is 220 and I already have a 110 outlet that I had installed that is wired directly to the battery charger, but I'd like to be able to hook up to he standard 220 power towers which are more common at most marinas. 

Curious if your 287 came with a charger?

If you get it done sooner, take some pics and post the process.

47 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

Converter?   You may want to add a battery charger and inverter. Most shore power equipped rides have a dual voltage refrigerator, 115 VAC air conditioner, water heater and microwave. Lets answer what you intend to power with 115 VAC, and go from there.   W

You know what's funny?  It's nice that people here are very precise and by the book with voltage and the electrical acronyms etc., but after building additions & houses & renovations for 28 years, I don't remember ever using the term  120 volts or 115 (AC) or (VAC) or 240 volts except maybe rarely with engineers or architects.  Usually we simplify it straight out with either 110 or 220!

"That's a 110 outlet!"  "That appliance needs 220!" :D

"220, 221.  Whatever it takes." 

(name the movie) . . . 

Michael Keaton I think, but I can't remember the name of the movie.

Great movie - Mr. Mom.  I think his character was named Jack or something like that.

It did not come with an inverter or battery charger.

I am only looking to keep batteries charged and keep fridge cool, so I don't have to empty it every weekend.

Thanks

@DANCATAL

I would suggest getting marine electric service company, qualified service marina, or some qualified help to design and install the system. The marine electrical installations are quite more involved than simple household 120/240 Vac. The boat electric systems can get complicated and/or unsafe quickly.

For one, a boat is in the water, if something is not done correctly the prospect of galvanic corrosion is the least of a problem, water significantly increases the danger of killing somebody incidentally. Second, a boat has two separate but interacting electrical systems, 120/240 Vac and 12 Vdc systems. Third, a boat might have multiple sources of power that need to be managed or sensed and switched correctly; shore power, generator, inverter on the AC side and batteries, alternator, and battery charger on the DC side.

Hope this helps ... don't be that ignorant guy who thinks he knows.

17 hours ago, DANCATAL said:

It did not come with an inverter or battery charger.

I am only looking to keep batteries charged and keep fridge cool, so I don't have to empty it every weekend.

Thanks

Best bet IMO is to get a battery charger first or at least have that installed when and if you do add shore power so you can at least charge your batteries if needed.

- Is that outlet at your lift 110 or 220?  You need to find that out first so that you know what existing voltage is you'll be dealing with.

- I would definitely have a professional install the battery charger and shorepower if you're not familiar with how boat electrical systems work.  They are pretty complicated and it's definitely not something that just anyone can do because knowing the systems in your boat and which ones you want to power through shore power need to be connected appropriately.  Most of the powered systems on your boat are running off the current batteries which have 12vt output.  So new power coming in has to be adjusted to feed those systems.  Also some of those systems can operate directly with 110 or 220 (as previously mentioned) and all this needs to be taken into consideration. 

- You need to know what voltage is that outlet at your lift and decide from there what you want to do.

My boat came with a battery charger but no way to connect to it, and I wanted to be able to use unlimited power while the boat is on the trailer in my driveway and not worry about the batteries dying.  So knowing that the power in my house is all 110, I had a 110-pronged outlet installed that is directly wired to the charger which is connected to the batteries and had it installed near the charger which is near the battery switches panel.

But this 110 outlet I installed on the boat is not appropriate for hooking up to it at the marina while the boat is in the water.  #1 reason for that is because it doesn't take those heavily insulated yellow chords that are properly grounded and insulated for plugging any electrical near or in water and #2 reason is it's not 220 which is the power at the marina.  So a lot of things to consider.

On 6/25/2018 at 9:08 AM, Futzin' said:

"220, 221.  Whatever it takes." 

(name the movie) . . . 

Mr. Mom...Michael Keaton!

16 hours ago, Jonny40QBH said:

Mr. Mom...Michael Keaton!

Funny when Futzn first mentioned that, the next day I was flicking through the channels at night and there it was, on either Showtime or Starz or one of those.  I chuckled at the coincidence.