JohnS1588

2014 Sunesta taking on water when cruising

I'm not sure.  I tried to pull the black plastic electrical connector off but I couldn't get a good enough grip on it and was afraid I would break it.  It's located under the exhaust with another black hose between the exhaust and the sensor (assuming it is a sensor).  It's impossible to see - had to position my phone awkwardly to get the pictures I did.  The water squirting out was warm/hot if that helps.  Here's a wider view if that helps.

20180702_163657.jpg

It looks like a water temp sender that is screwed into water passage.   Most likely the sender  is leaking and needs replacement.    I have had it happen with oil senders but notwster.

Thank you all for the feedback. 

If it was more accessible it appears to be a simple replacement (I wish it was easier to see) - leaving on vacation Thursday night so fingers crossed someone has one in stock locally.

13 hours ago, willbaker13 said:

I'm not sure.  I tried to pull the black plastic electrical connector off but I couldn't get a good enough grip on it and was afraid I would break it.  It's located under the exhaust with another black hose between the exhaust and the sensor (assuming it is a sensor).  It's impossible to see - had to position my phone awkwardly to get the pictures I did.  The water squirting out was warm/hot if that helps.  Here's a wider view if that helps.

20180702_163657.jpg

It looks like it is just not screwed down all the way. Before ordering a new part, I would try to tighten that one up. Plus it might get you back on the water sooner if you have to order the part.

I had a leak in the stern area where the top 1/2 of the boat meats the bottom 1/2.  right at the back of the swim platform.  I used Flexseal spray and that fixed it.  I also pull the rubrail and resealed in with 3M 5200

I ran into the service manager at the marina and started chatting him up.  He said that he believes it is a knock sensor vs. a water temperature sensor and since the boat is able to run greater than 2500 RPM that it may not be seated properly and not actually be a bad part.  Chap243 you might have nailed it on the head just from looking at a bad picture.  :D  He's going to have a mechanic take a quick look, no charge, and hopefully just tighten it up.  Fingers crossed that is all it is.

Looks like a Volvo thermostat housing.

Easy to DIY fix.  Not normal to leak here.  Not the end of the world.

On my Merc, that type of connector is the engine overheat sensor  (not sender), used to detect overheat warning condition.

Im not a mech, but i would try screwing down the brass part a bit to start.   Maybe 35 deer for a new part if needed.

I'm glad I ran into the marina service manager.  Turns out that right below the knock sensor there is a drain plug.  The drain plug was broken off and they had to drill it out and put a new plug in.  They had to remove the exhaust and knock sensor to get to it so a couple hours of labor and a few deer for a new drain plug, 263 deer total.  He said that the plug could have been cracked and eventually finally broke.  No more water in the bilge - well, I didn't get a chance to take her out but we will Saturday.  

Sounds like a great ending!!   Good luck and hope that is the end of the water.

I always have some water in the bilge but it is not even enough for the bilge to be able to pump out.  On my 2018 Sunesta, I have a drain on the riser and manifolds that are actuated by a plunger type valve.  When i return to my slip, I depress the valve and the water drains into the bilge.  Other than that I never seem to have enough water in there to even be able to pump out

Jonny

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have been on vacation all week having a greet time on the boat everyday! I have been all over the boat looking and checking all the hoses , exhaust tubes, all of the drain ports and have really found no leaks. The only place I have seen a little water is in the ski locker. If you lift the ski locker lid there is a drain that goes right out one of the ports on Port side. The water backs up when I slow down quickly and drips into the ski locker/hull. I don't think this is where all the water is coming from but it is part of it. I guess there isn't a check valve in that line and there is definitely not a hand valve. I will keep looking.  

Check with a Plumbing Supply shop. There are Plumbers Test Plugs that come in all sizes to temporarily seal a opening. They have a wing nut to expand the plug.