JohnS1588

2014 Sunesta taking on water when cruising

I recently bought a 2014 Sunesta 264 Elite with 8.2L Mercruiser. Problem I have is after a day of cruising and not having any water splash on deck I get about 1 to 2 gallons of water in the bilge. After draining the bilge I can let the boat sit docked in water all week with no water coming in. I looked pretty much everywhere but cannot find where the water is coming in. This is a self bailing boat and I leave the valves open but don't see any signs of water from them. Anyone else have this or thoughts on where to check.

Check your cooling and exhaust systems for the leak. Had the same problem once, turned out to be a cracked rubber exhaust hose .

Our new 264 always has some water in the bilge (we are in a slip, so I can't just pull the plug and tip to get it totally dry). It's never enough for the pump to come on but rain water and such getting in around the arch with either bow/cockpit or full mooring cover on. My old boat didn't have that issue but also no arch.

I've often wondered about this.  So, what is an "expected" amount of water that should be in the bilge?  We can run for about 20 min then stop, and our boat "pees" as the kids say - the bilge pump pushing water out.   

Never to be any water in bottom of boat. 

It is either rain.  Crashing thru high waves..  Or in your case the engine coolant system is leaking while the engine is running.. Slide pieces of BROWN cardboard under the  engine & all the way to the very back of the boat.  It helps on finding a slow dripper.   I would just run the engine at about 3000 rpm at the dock. Untill the dripping appears.

Also could be a .....NOT closing completely winter drain valve somewhere. or a valve with bad or missing  O  ring.

Check to see if the forward beverage cooler (the one nobody ever uses) has it's drain hose connected securely. Some left the factory connected to the thru-hull but had not been clamped properly to the cooler drain. Running in a chop with a bow down angle causes sea water to enter the thru hull and it gets deposited into the bilge by the dangling end of the hose. I use the cooler for bow line storage so I sealed it at the thru-hull.  W

I`ve also noticed some of my bilge water comes from my back starboard floor drain. The seal between the underside black drain cup and the floor  does not seal watertight and allows some water to drip through and into the bilge.

Good one Wingnut.

Take large enough pieces of DUCT TAPE  or  big adhesive tape & cover all those small chrome plates on the hull outsides. For 1 of your day trips.

Do you put ice cubes or ice chunks in any of the built in coolers ?    Tape the hole in the bottom of each one at the same time you do the chrome pieces.  That should leave only the engine as the leak

Or the gasket between the hull & deck assembly.

Thanks for all the great advise! I will check and try all your suggestions. AlsoI use the cooler for my line storage. 

I honestly don’t think it’s a big deal.  But some good ideas above if you want to chase down.

i have two bilge pumps.  The standard one which rarely comes on.....as far as I know....and a smaller one with a manual switch and a hose that will suck out most of the water.  I also use a wet vac too.

most of my water issues are from rain.  I can get close to 10 gallons in the bilge from heavy rain even covered.  Most of the water enters the boat between the snaps by the windshield and also from the bow opening.  I have been tossing a towel up there which has helped a bunch.

The anchor locker is a culprit too!  As is my Yeti.  The plug from melted ice drains into the bilge.

I didn't realize Yeti's allowed ice to melt.  Rumor has it that they hold ice indefinitely.

6 hours ago, Chap243 said:

I`ve also noticed some of my bilge water comes from my back starboard floor drain. The seal between the underside black drain cup and the floor  does not seal watertight and allows some water to drip through and into the bilge.

Same on ours, I noticed a dripping on the floor drain hose back on the starboard side and realized it's dripping from the floor fitting and running down the hose a bit

Yes WaterDR I'm hoping its not a big deal to have a little water in the bilge but my 1st boat would always be dry. So I will chase down everyone's suggestions and have some piece of mind that there is not a major problem brewing.

Short of extreme conditions, a well made boat with self bailing cockpit should stay dry at dock and on water. It is not normal when there is water leaking inside at all time. Might not be critical but one never knows what and why is leaking till one identifies the culprit. Then one can chose to ignore it or fix it based on personal preference and tolerance for risk.

One or two gallons per day would be way too much for me to ignore. My boat does not collect that much water in the bilge thru the entire season ... and I know where it is coming from and how much to expect.

1 hour ago, JohnS1588 said:

Yes WaterDR I'm hoping its not a big deal to have a little water in the bilge but my 1st boat would always be dry. So I will chase down everyone's suggestions and have some piece of mind that there is not a major problem brewing.

Well, not to concern you too much but I don’t consider any water in the bilge after running to be normal. Never had that issue on my boats, always a bone dry bilge. Only time some water would get in there was after lots of swimming kids running the deck, or slipped for a couple weeks and some rainy days. Never from running, even after taking a wave over the bow, we have self bailing cockpits.

Yes Phillbo the speedo works, Richard and Toddavid that is what I was thinking too! I will be looking at this weekend. I boat on the Barnegat Bay in the area from Point Pleasant to Barnegat Light house. It gets pretty rough on weekends but the 264 handles the chop well.

+1 on the bone dry bilge. We wet slip May-Oct. The only time water makes it way to the bilge is after heavy rain. Our boat had no snaps when we bought it so I opted to try the factory mooring cover from Outer Armor. One piece, lite weight and fits like a glove minus the insides of the arch - which is the likely culprit of the water in the bilge. I've had thoughts of having my local canvas shop stitch collars on to seal the gap. Curious if others have had similar issues and any mods/hacks you've tried? 

I always have a tiny bit of water in my bilge, which I attribute to rain.  In my case, I also get water in my trash can, and about the only way water is going to get into something like that is going to be rain.

One thing I would check would be your water pump.  My pump was spraying a bit of water into the bilge, which resulted in more water than usual.  I was difficult for me to detect, as when the engine is running, air movement and vibration in the bilge causes some water movement.  If you are in salt water, look for some salty overspray.

On 6/26/2018 at 5:04 AM, willbaker13 said:

I've often wondered about this.  So, what is an "expected" amount of water that should be in the bilge?  We can run for about 20 min then stop, and our boat "pees" as the kids say - the bilge pump pushing water out.   

I expect none. Your situation is not normal, you have a leak somewhere. I can run for hours and never a drop in the bilge. 

Does anybody know what part this is?  When running, the engine is throwing water from under this part. On the bottom side of the red housing. It's on the right hand side of the engine (when looking at it from inside the boat).

20180702_165339.jpg

Temp sensor? Can you post a pic that is not so close so we can get a better feel for what it looks like? 

Here you go.  Also, white arrow, bottom left corner, to show where the water is squirting out from.  Engine is the Volvo 5.7 300HP.

20180702_164320.jpg