Medic6940

Fuel tank baffles clogged?

Just bought a ‘99 2130ssi. Having problems with several of the gauges. The one that has me stumped the most is the fuel gauge. It always reads full. I found the sending unit and pulled it out the other day. The tank was so full fuel cane out when I removed the sending unit. Now this was after running the boat for approximately 5 hrs. The float on the sending unit works freely although I didn’t check the gauge while moving the float. (Didn’t want power on while sitting over the gas tank) My question is, could there be something that is keeping the fuel in that one baffle and not letting it disperse into the rest of the tank? Why would that one section still be full to the brim after running for 5 hrs? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

2 hours ago, Medic6940 said:

Just bought a ‘99 2130ssi. Having problems with several of the gauges. The one that has me stumped the most is the fuel gauge. It always reads full. I found the sending unit and pulled it out the other day. The tank was so full fuel cane out when I removed the sending unit. Now this was after running the boat for approximately 5 hrs. The float on the sending unit works freely although I didn’t check the gauge while moving the float. (Didn’t want power on while sitting over the gas tank) My question is, could there be something that is keeping the fuel in that one baffle and not letting it disperse into the rest of the tank? Why would that one section still be full to the brim after running for 5 hrs? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

No baffles to speak of. If you turn the key on and disconnect the wire that is landed on the tank gauge input terminal, the helm indication should swing up past full. By affixing a known good ground to the same wire via a jumper, the needle should swing down to below empty. If those things happen then the tank unit is bad. If not, look elsewhere. As far as the tank still being full, your boat was not level when you removed the sending unit, and during your trip your ride also used up fuel in the filler hose and neck that rise above the top of the tank. Nothing inside the tank will prevent fule migration one end to the other.  W