Sign in to follow this  
Hatem

Ever witness a boating accident?

Out on the ocean all day yesterday and had a great time.  We planed smoothly at 30 mph all the way up to Gloucester and got to the Blynman drawbridge to enter the Annisquam River to head up to Wingaersheek Beach. 

The weekend prior to 4th of July is always jammed with boats in the harbor and the river....forget about it.  Every single boat imaginable from Formula 45PCs to Searays of every single type to runarounds to mahogany Christ Crafts to even a spectacular Azimut 50 flybride and everything else in between.

Once you get to the drawbridge, need to wait until the siren stops car traffic (which could take 15 minutes) then wait another 10 minutes for exiting boat traffic before we're allowed to enter.

Depending on what size boat is in front of you and the wake it leaves behind that ends up slamming the drawbridge walls and coming back in at you, you could have a rough go at it or you could have a relatively easy slide-through.  Still, you need to find that sweet spot of speed, path and control to make it through without getting shoved into the walls.  It's definitely stressful.

Of course, the bigger the boat the easier it is not to be greatly effected by the wake but the smaller the boat..............................and that's what happened in front of our eyes.

On the way out, we were stuck in a caravan of 20+ boats and we were 2nd in line at the drawbridge.  We had to wait for incoming traffic first and lo and behold, there's a HUGE FERRY TRYING TO GET THROUGH!  I swear, he must've had 6 inches on each side and he was gunning it.  Left a wake that turned the boat in front of us completely around (20ft Boston Whaler) and almost shoved us into the rocks on the river's edge.  While the boat in front of us was trying to spin back into forward position, had to wait for another little boat to follow the ferry, about 8 or 10 feet long with a small outboard and captained by a young grandma, her husband who decided to take all the grandchildren with them, maybe 6 of them!

We watched her try to gun it after that ferry only to have the monster wake that was left behind push her completely over where she hit the right side almost head on!  Saw grandpa grab one or two kids from taking a header into the mess of water when suddenly, the momentum of the smack and grandma probably keeping full throttle on the outboard just bounced back off and straight into the other side of the walls!

We watched in horror.  People crowded over the bridge watching this whole incident take place and finally, after crashing twice, grandma got control and eased off the throttle and propped through.  Once they came by us, my wife yelled out to them to see if they were ok and you can tell, everyone besides grandpa were in shock.  Felt really bad.

Never seen  anything like that in the past 4 years of boating.  Have you?  I felt really bad for grandma and you can tell everyone in that boat was shaken up really badly.  You really need to understand the effects of rough water from other boats and really understand how to handle your boat and be very aware of your surroundings out there. 

This is the Blynman drawbridge.  While really scenic and a neat place to boat through, take a look at the wake against the walls after the boat @ minute 0.30.  And this is weekday traffic, so imagine 50 boats in line, one after the other from both ends.  2nd busiest drawbridge on the eastern seaboard, after one in Boca Raton.

There is no speed limit through that cut? Good lord.......

Only a harmless rental of beer drinking by  20s .  1 mile from the rental dock.. Drove on a ledge as I waved. They raised their beer cans in salute. as the came to a stop.

Oh well.

You'd think that would be a no-wake, 6 knot zone.

23 hours ago, Pops said:

There is no speed limit through that cut? Good lord.......

Oh there definitely is, 5 mph but because of the narrowness and the wakes, most boaters have no choice but to step on it a little bit to get through that rocky turbulence.  It's actually very tricky when there's heavy traffic.  But yeah, it is crazy lol.

22 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Only a harmless rental of beer drinking by  20s .  1 mile from the rental dock.. Drove on a ledge as I waved. They raised their beer cans in salute. as the came to a stop.

Oh well.

All the centuries that you've been alive and boating and that's the only thing you've seen?  I don't buy it.  I think it's memory loss! :-)

21 hours ago, OCMD2 said:

You'd think that would be a no-wake, 6 knot zone.

Yeah it is.  That blue sign posted there.  Plus no one actually follows the light signals when it gets really crowded and chaotic.  We had no choice but to go through it when it was a red light because traffic was moving and what was I supposed to do, stop with 18 boats behind me?  They would've killed me.  I had to waive "sorry" to the bridge attendant and he just waved "hello" back loool.

The boat with grandma and grandpa and 6 grandchildren bouncing full throttle off the walls reminded my son and I of this crazy incident that happened a few months back.

I do understand the occasional need to step it up a bit, but those larger fishing boats blasting thru there, on full plane, is ridiculous.

All bridges, at lest everyone that I have seen. Has a No wake zone around it. 

On the right side of the bridge has a no wave sign. 

1 hour ago, Iggy said:

All bridges, at lest everyone that I have seen. Has a No wake zone around it. 

On the right side of the bridge has a no wave sign. 

Many (at least on lakes) do not.  Our lake has at least one that we all routinely go under on plane.  It's essentially a freeway with probably 20 or 30 sets of pylons down the length of it.  So you have no "walls" and therefore not a problem with the wakes.

On 7/2/2018 at 9:00 AM, Pops said:

I do understand the occasional need to step it up a bit, but those larger fishing boats blasting thru there, on full plane, is ridiculous.

I agree.  I've been through that cut maybe a dozen times and most of the times we try going through it during a weekday when it's not too crowded and even then, for some ecological reason, either due to the flow of the water coming out of the river into the harbor or the  other way around, even if it's calm, there's a brutal current that can pull you to one side or the other.  I think that's the reason most of these boats fly through it like lunatics.  I just find that "just fast enough" to be able to correct the bow one way or the other but man, talk about standing hairy ball bags every time lol! :D

On 7/2/2018 at 11:32 AM, TexasPilot71 said:

Many (at least on lakes) do not.  Our lake has at least one that we all routinely go under on plane.  It's essentially a freeway with probably 20 or 30 sets of pylons down the length of it.  So you have no "walls" and therefore not a problem with the wakes.

The Boston Bruins TV announcer/radio talk show host just posted this pic on his twitter feed with the caption:

Saw this on our boat ride yesterday.  My nephew called it an “expensive miscalculation.” #wantogetaway

How ironic is that boat name?  He didn't say where it was but people were guessing Wood's Hole or Nantucket, where all those sports personalities love to go hang out with Bill Bellichick and Co.  Those outcropping rocks scare the living crap out of me and I stay the heck away from them as far as possible.  I can't figure the clowns that go blasting over these known hotspots like they don't exist simply because they know it's high tide, and plaining gives them that little bit more added height.  Numbnuts.

DhGu9mJU0AYvJ87.jpg:large

That is my area look as water levels change on the St. Lawrence River.  PAPER DEPTH CHARTS.    ONLY

Not many shoal markers around anymore.  Why ?  Some smart arrrrr decided to make WHO EVER puts a shoal marker on a shoal. Is Legally Liable......  DUUHH

Drunks and druggies have fun at night moving the markers.  We now have 1 marker on some shoal 1/2 mile long. Used to have 3 or 4 on it.

Memorize those accurate shoal charts.  I do not trust a goof ball in Mongolia writing a electronic shoal map for my area.

Edit ....

All my charts are way before electronics. Plastic covered paper ones.  Over the decades the freighters have snapped off the tall skinny spikes of rock on the channel edges. They are now Xs on my charts.

2 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

All my charts are way before electronics. Plastic covered paper ones.  Over the decades the freighters have snapped off the tall skinny spikes of rock on the channel edges. They are now Xs on my charts.

That's waaaaaaaaaay too old school for today's crowd and millennials, ma man.  With this video game and phone apps generations, it's too much work to actually pull out a chart, look at all that overwhelming detail, make notes and then learn where those areas visually correspond!?  Oh ma goodness.  Must be able to touch a screen and be shown and told not only what is where, but how to best maneuver around it.  Everything must be handed over in the easiest way possible.   

Google "boats on nix's mate"  This is on the edge of Boston Harbor

I can only imagine what Boston harbor is going to be like tomorrow as we head in there.  4th of July is going to be a bum #$%$&$% crazy boating bonanza boatapalooza.

Gonna have my head on a 360 degree swivel!  Hope there's some military vessels docked for the occasion.  That usually brings out BPD and the USCG to keep everyone in line.

Good thing we don't have these guys around here!

23 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Looks like a fat person mooning you.  :huh:

Baby hippo.  But what I don't get is the speed that thing was able to get at in the water.  It almost got to the boat FAST!  Don't they have hoofs?!  He must've been galloping under water.

DhIGEUhW4AAb3gV.jpg

Thank GOD yesterday went smoothly out on the ocean and through many different harbors with the 3 billion boats that were out there.

A lot of calls for tows and someone unfortunately was heaving either a heart attack or a major medical emergency at the marina.  Harbor masters were out in droves as well as the CG and all the fireworks barges were secured and all in all looked like a safe day on the water.