Hatem

Ever witness a boating accident?

This sucks.  Look how fast that thing took on water.

A reminder for this season when you fuel up at the dock, make sure you check for fumes and run your blowers for at least 4 minutes!  This happened just a couple of days ago at a local marina here in MA.  A man fueled up his boat and vapors accumulated and went to start the boat and bang.  Next thing you know, witnesses said they saw him grabbing his kids and throwing them through the fire into the water.  Harbor master ended up pushing the boat away from the dock while it was ablaze.  Probably prevented the fire from spreading any further.  Gas attendant was on top of it and turned off the gas supply to the pumps.  12 injuries according to local news.

https://whdh.com/news/scituate-boat-fire-that-injured-13-ruled-accidental/

5c78aa64_095f_4e61_bf93_402b1eb38268_960

7a8ef7e1_520d_49ee_b75d_f001b363f895_87a

17765b19_1e45_4842_8af0_e8eb4c14b6a2_dbb

This is only one of many reasons that I am glad that I fuel up on land. And avoid fuel docks on the water.

As I have said before, there are boaters, people with good credit that have boats, and finally people that rent boats.

I BELIEVE THAT IF YOU ARE GOING TO CAPTAIN ANY WATER VESSEL,YOU NEED TO BE EDUCATED FIRST.  Denny.

After reading various stories on this forum about gas vapors causing explosions, I have always wondered how easily fumes could make it into my engine compartment. My filler port is on the side of the boat just about lined up with the steering wheel and about 6 inches [maybe a little less] below the window frame. The vent is forward of the filler port.

When filling my boat I can feel the rush of vapors pushing out the vent. What are the chances that vapors will get into the boat and engine compartment? How fast do the vapors fall and how much influence is needed to push it up and over the side of the boat?

My biggest concern for detonation is actually behind the instrument panel. Both vent and filler port lines are only inches away from the panel. ALL the wiring goes in and around the tubing. If there is a spark along with a vapor leak, I'm gonna be wearing my Tach, speedometer and fuel gauge..... 

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:11 AM, TexasPilot71 said:

Oh that name....

:slap:

It's amazing how many times you see these unfortunate things happen and there is so much irony with the names of the boat.

I was looking and reading about this fake hit on the tankers in the Gulf of Oman and this pic caught my attention because of the bilge pumps.  That is some serious water that is being pumped out of that bad boy.  It either has 12 or 14 pumps and I can just imagine the size of those things.  Not sure if this is the Japanese or the Norwegian ship.

rtx6z8f5_81defeddccb8c4320237cabbcaea947

1 hour ago, SST said:

Wow, that is crazy the way the cap just popped open at the front like that.  Never seen that.  Weird that a fire would cause that since they screw that cap in with stainless steel screws and then the rub rail goes over it.  So for it to open up like a mouth like that is crazy.  That boat now looks like a pelican opening up for food. 

BTW, my opening post for this thread about the Blyman bridge in Gloucester, we went through it yesterday and I was 3rd in line and the guy in front of me in a 30/32' Pursuit (really nice one) tried to gun it through because the boat before him left a gigantic wake that was slamming the walls and once he came in a little crooked and hit one of the waves, he almost slammed that beauty into the side wall we were all looking going wooooooOOOOAAAAH!  Luckily for him and his wife he missed it by a foot or so. 

Funny thing is I've gone through that thing so many times I feel like I've mastered it, especially in heavy traffic.  You just can't be right up the boat in front of you and let the wake calm down and go slow.  Really simple.

Many calls on 16 yesterday.  A dog fell in the water in the harbor bay everyone was looking for him.  10 minutes later harbor master comes on says a 400lbs person has gone overboard in the same area.  He described his weight because he was trying to tell everyone that it will probably be impossible to pull up onto your boat if you find him and to just throw him a float and line and tow him LOL!  Both, dog and big man made it to shore.  Happy ending for all.

3 hours ago, Hatem said:

Funny thing is I've gone through that thing so many times I feel like I've mastered it, especially in heavy traffic.  You just can't be right up the boat in front of you and let the wake calm down and go slow.  Really simple.

Have you ever been pressured by boaters behind you who may try to pass you cuz they think your not going fast enough?

4 hours ago, SST said:

Have you ever been pressured by boaters behind you who may try to pass you cuz they think your not going fast enough?

Nope, never, SST.  There is an unwritten rule or code or whatever you want to call it (which I assume happens at many locations like this) that is actually very well respected.  Once you get to location, there's a buoy (more like a big drum/can) that is the standoff line to give those coming out of the river into the harbor enough space and you can see who's first in line at that buoy and the rest line up behind him/her and know their place.  Once outgoing traffic is complete and it's our turn, everyone gets in line and in between distance is respected.  If you want to tail me, go ahead but most who are experienced with that know it's not a good idea and you're better off maintaining a distance to allow that leftover wake to slam against the walls and dissipate enough for you to go through without a lot of commotion. 

I think what happens in cases like the above is the guy thought he was better off sneaking inside the front boat's wake but didn't realize by the time he was in between the walls, the water had already slammed against them and rushing towards the middle.  That pushed his Pursuit up and he rolled off it towards the wall.

My buddy who was with me took a video of it but not that time, rather on the return and it's supposed to be good.  I've been texting him asking him to send it to me but I think he's recovering from a long day of boating & drinking and smoking weed and all that happy @#$%@# loool.  I don't know how he does it because he's not exactly a young chap.  One hit of that crap and I'm out like a light! lmfao.  I'm a lightweight what can I say.  :D

A couple of years ago my friend made some "brownies."  They thought the ingredients were the best! So, I'm not flying anymore and not in the airline industry anymore, therefore no drug tests, I decided to take some home. I haven't "flown" like that since I was in high school so I thought, what the heck, I'll try it. I took some brownies home and ate some of them. Tasted great....no effect. None.  I tried again......nothing. I returned the remainder of them to my friends and said they had no effect on me.   

Now give me a couple of strong Rum and Cokes......now that will get me flying!

Hey TP, talk about another ironic name and situation.

daily_picdump_004474_004_882e924d8f978b8

The best part about that pic is the calm waters.  Whenever we get that in our ocean, I take advantage and goose he up. Otherwise, very difficult to get anywhere above 20-22mph in just the standard chop we have all the time.  The boat planes well and flies, but every once in a while it'll hit an extra large chop and it's not fun going through that.

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 1:52 PM, SST said:

Check it out, SST.  My buddy Jonsey took this video of that exact moment I mentioned earlier about the guy in the Pursuit ahead of us.  I thought he videoed the way out on our return but in fact it was gong into the Annisquam river from the harbor the first time and notice the distance I maintained between his boat and mind and just kept looking back occasionally at the CC that was behind me because they were a bunch or young kids and I didn't trust them should I get stuck and they're barreling towards our boat.

But is you watch the Pursuit carefully, because he didn't time it right and ended up on top of the other boat in front of his wake, he almost slammed into the right side of the wall!

The boat behind us timed it perfectly.  Notice the gap he left between us and him which gave our wake time to dissipate and it was relatively easy for him to travers the narrow passage rather easily. That's  the way to do it  and you never worry about the boat behind you if they're in a hurry. And if they're on top of you, I wouldn't mind signaling him to back off a little for his own good.

The guy in front of you clearly came close to hitting the wall.  Twice. I see where keeping some distance reduces the impact from the wake in front of you. As you past the bridge, I could see how the gaps in the wood beams help absorb the energy of the waves thus giving you the reason to put some distance between you and others while the wake collapses.

I can only imaging how bad this would be if you only had a solid wall and the waves bounce back into the channel.

Real excitement starts when a person, kid, pet or tender drops off of a boat in the line.  Been in 2 of those doozies.

On 6/19/2019 at 11:57 AM, Hatem said:

Check it out, SST.  My buddy Jonsey took this video of that exact moment I mentioned earlier about the guy in the Pursuit ahead of us.  I thought he videoed the way out on our return but in fact it was gong into the Annisquam river from the harbor the first time and notice the distance I maintained between his boat and mind and just kept looking back occasionally at the CC that was behind me because they were a bunch or young kids and I didn't trust them should I get stuck and they're barreling towards our boat.

But is you watch the Pursuit carefully, because he didn't time it right and ended up on top of the other boat in front of his wake, he almost slammed into the right side of the wall!

The boat behind us timed it perfectly.  Notice the gap he left between us and him which gave our wake time to dissipate and it was relatively easy for him to travers the narrow passage rather easily. That's  the way to do it  and you never worry about the boat behind you if they're in a hurry. And if they're on top of you, I wouldn't mind signaling him to back off a little for his own good.

Do they regulate the traffic in and out? I did not see any boats coming in the other direction.  Denny.

Do a quick web search of …………….width of N J ocean inlets...………  No sweat anymore.

15 hours ago, SST said:

The guy in front of you clearly came close to hitting the wall.  Twice. I see where keeping some distance reduces the impact from the wake in front of you. As you past the bridge, I could see how the gaps in the wood beams help absorb the energy of the waves thus giving you the reason to put some distance between you and others while the wake collapses.

I can only imaging how bad this would be if you only had a solid wall and the waves bounce back into the channel.

You noticed that!  That's what I was talking about but too bad Jonsey wasn't holding on very well and almost missed filming it.  First of all, the guy came in way too far to port if you watch it carefully, you can't do that.  You HAVE to line up perfectly in the middle and once I let him get ahead of me a little so I'm not mired in his wake, I told Jonsey to hold on but the guy smokes so much weed lmfaoo he almost fell backwards, that's why he didn't really film it well.  But you can see him lining up right at the mouth of the cut and he overdid it and nearly scraped his STB stern, then he over corrected and went right up the other guy's wake which pushed him right back into the same wall!  Plus he gunned it way too hard, I could hear his outboard roaring.  Once you get to the mouth, because there's still quite a bit of turbulence you have to goose it just a little so you can steer and stay in the center.  I think Jonsey almost fell again that time too LOL! :D 

12 hours ago, Denny said:

Do they regulate the traffic in and out? I did not see any boats coming in the other direction.  Denny.

Oh yeah, there's a bridge-master who opens the bridge and you listen to him on channel 13 and he lets you know when the outgoing traffic is complete and we can start heading in.  Then there's the crowd of 100 people on the walkway above just watching you waiting for you to screw up! You know, those same ones that hang out at the ramp?

BTW, just today the harbor master put out a call for a sighting of "a large shark" at Manchester by the Sea" which is the next harbor south of this one in Gloucester.  So we're pumped and phsyched it has to be a great white that's hopefully hanging around and we're off with all our GoPros and drones and I have to also activate my underwater camera and go on Saturday looking for that bad larry.  Hopefully he's still around by then.  Sighting was yesterday.  What fun that would be if he came right up to the boat and started nibbling at my hanging bag of chum?  Oh wait, I think it's illegal to do that!  Dammmit!  We're gonna do it anyway! :D 

Relax everyone. It is only a 40' Megalodon.

They eat Manta rays when available.

9 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Relax everyone. It is only a 40' Megalodon.

They eat Manta rays when available.

Did you see this?  This was all over the news and not only just happened a couple of days ago, but happened right off the coast in your neck of the woods, NJ!  This is what we want to see, no question about it and look at the siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiizzzzeeaaah of that monster!  @Tuglife, this is right where you boat too, isn't it?

So I'm going today to the fish market and buying a crapload of sardines and left over guts and all sorts of crap and then I'm freezing it and making a chum bag out of it for Saturday and Sunday.  We're gonna leave a trail to attract this thing to our boat. 

Back in 2015, my son and a buddy of his trailered the boat all the way down to the south of Cape Cod to the famous town of Chatham which has the island of Monomoy just off it where hundreds of thousands of seals hang out on and the reason why we've been inundated with great whites in the past 10 years and had 2 attacks last year including a fatality that hadn't happened since 1936 in the state of Massachusetts.  We floated around and saw all the satellite tracking buoys that the Shark Conservation puts out to track their movements or presence etc. but didn't see a single shark, or as we call them up this way, shaaahks.  AND, to see one up here in the North Shore of MA is not normal.  This is an indication that they're coming by the droves and we're having a huge problem.  Our waters are not tropical by any means and to see them in this quantities is rather unusual.

Transmitting buoy set up by Greg Skomal the dude who's on Shark Week on Discovery.  I even hired that captain in that boat in front of us to lead us to the areas where they've been sighted.  He was great and spent a lot of time helping us try to find them, but he did warn us that the chances of seeing one were very slim.

d2gFaBU.jpg

Captain left us after spending a few hours helping us and we went all over the place...

gUnbiF4.jpg

even through the cut at Monomoy.

4MJsuTp.jpg

We did get a good glimpse as to why we've been flooded with great white sharks in record numbers these past years, and this is why!

O2b5Yve.jpg

You know, a lot of you other folks can contribute to this thread with the stuff you see beside @SST and myself.

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:11 AM, TexasPilot71 said:

Oh that name....

:slap:

Name:  077f74u89v831.jpg Views: 694 Size:  97.2 KB

Interesting thing happened to me the other day I figured I would share it here instead of opening a whole new thread and if anyone else has had something similar happen to them, please mention it so we can compare and see the gravity of what happened or if it's nothing.

I was alone and fishing about 7 miles offshore at an island called Halfway Rock.  It has a lot of fish because it's lie a spike that comes out of the ground under water and straight up.  It's like the tower of Pisa without the leaning.  It's an average of 100ft deep all around it and I was about 50 yards away and I had 2 lines already casted and getting ready to hook up a third when I noticed the current was pushing me bow first straight towards the rock, so I went to the helm, put it into very slow reverse and backed up slowly.  Little did I know that I was headed straight back into a lobster buoy and sure enough, as soon as I realized it I tried putting it into neutral to then go forward but the throttle was stuck!  I couldn't even click it (which is a very short distance) into neutral and then the engine stalled!!!!  Something I've never had happen.

I go back to see the buoy off to starboard by about a few feet and couldn't see anything in the props or the drive.  Even the line for the buoy went straight down so I know the line wasn't wrapped around the props.

Back to the helm and a bit stronger tug of the throttle and it went into neutral, then said a prayer and engine cranked right up and everything went right back to normal.  I got the #$^% out of Dodge moving slowly at first and the raising speed also slowly and periodically just to check and see if there is anything weird and new going on and nothing.  Ended up boating normally for another 5 hours after that and 3 more days after that including Friday with 11 people on board and all was normal.

Anyone every had anything like that happen to them where props get stuck in anything and engine stalls?