Hatem

Ever witness a boating accident?

Well, not really boat accident, but we had a drowning this weekend.  Almost two.  Two brothers were swimming off the back of their boat when current caught one of them and he went under.  Found him tangled up in some underwater debris the next day.  Then night before last, one of the guys on our dock had waayyyy too much to drink, and fell backwards into the water.  He can't swim, but fortunately someone at the dock went in and got him.  

^^ That's really sad.  You hate hearing any "deaths" resulting from these accidents, but unfortunately we're dealing with waterways, whether ocean or lake and here is a certain amount of danger associated.

And here's the other thing, if you can't swim and like to go to the beach, take a gaddam course that will cost you $100 so you can survive!  How much is that cino worth to your life?

We hear ALL SORTS of "man overboards" and distressed boats etc. on the radio yesterday.  We were headed to a certain cove that a friend of mine told me about and let me tell you, I was doing an experiment related to my other thread about getting the most usage out of your GPS that I was going to get to this area using my charts only and no GPS whatsoever and I used landmarks to compare to the chart.  I also calculated traveling distance by ruler on the chart and being somewhat familiar with the area up to about 6 miles short of the cove, I couldn't help but realize how much I/we depend on our electronics  and really without them, our boating would be DISASTROUS!

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:54 AM, rjbergen said:

Is your GlobalFix Pro a CAT I in the white housing around the EPIRB?

Also, being you bought it in 2014, if you haven't already, you're due for a new battery. And if it's a CAT I self-releasing style, you need a new hydrostatic release unit as those are supposed to be replaced every 2 years once installed, or 4 years from date of manufacture on the hydrostatic release unit.

I didn't fully answer your question; yes, it is the one in the white housing which is huge and why it was a problem fining the proper location to mount it where it would function correctly and not be so visible since let's face it, not only is it ugly as fuuk, but it really is much more suite for larger boats where you can mount it on a large and undisturbed surface so that white housing can dislodge on its own once it sense it's been engulfed in water.  I thought of making modifications to it (in other words, cut it down a bit!) but that kinda think I think we all know voids warranties and might even disrupt the way it is supposed to function.

So my plan is to get through the next 2 months (after checking battery) and purchasing a much smaller unit, hence why I posted that picture.  I also posted a video on a thread where a hand-held unit actually saved a bunch of people who's boat was sinking way off shore. USCG cutter showed up in 10 minutes and they were still fighting the water coming in the bilge, finally gave up.  I think @TexasPilot71  also opened up a thread on being saved by a small, hand-held.  I'll have to do some research to see the pros and cons and how much more you need to o to the smaller units (frequency of battery change etc.) and then decide on the new unit.

EDIT: PS, @cyclops2, I'm surprised no one on this forum (actually I'm not surprised AT ALL....) said anything about the two on the overturned boat in the last pic I posted on the previous page.  On another forum where people are MUCH MORE explicit and post a lot more said "@#$%@#, that looks like Trump and Obama" LMFAO! :haha-7383: 

1 hour ago, Hatem said:

06846875_d876_4509_8c00_5747af6f1f03_739

BAHAHAAAAAA!

That's like the old joke about the guy who just discovers his wedding is the same date as the Superbowl, and he says he can't go to both.

"Would someone please go in my place?

Her name is Cathy, and she'll be the one in white at United Methodist church on Main St."

But seriously, how does that happen to a boat like that? Was it placed there? I guess maybe it was rolled there by a high tide?

lol, hard to tell how it ended up upside down like that but tide as you mentioned could've cause that. 

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 12:38 PM, SST said:

Deleted.

Undelete, please, so we can read what you actually said! :D It's just a joke so no one should take it personally.

Nice Freeman with quad blobs but what I like is the space between the two to port and the two to STBD. 

BTW, this might be the 2nd best thing to do if you forget to put in your butt plug?

581a0aaa_a46a_4a39_8b68_cf8e382f6bbc_14e

40599379_c326_4913_a4f5_84f20b1085e3_482

Best to do if your hull cracks, you're taking water and you want to save the engines for resale. 

18 hours ago, SST said:

Best to do if your hull cracks, you're taking water and you want to save the engines for resale. 

Or...hiding from the Coast Guard/Border Patrol.  Or attempting, anyway, since I'm pretty sure either could pick it up easily on radar, FLIR, night vision etc LOL.

If it was a recreational owner, it makes you really wonder how something like this happens because individuals who go out and spend the kind of loot to buy a 40' center console with quads on it (and a Freeman, no less) are usually, for the most part, pretty dam good captains I would say.

On 8/1/2019 at 6:42 PM, SST said:

Was it with you we were talking about following seas the other day?  Check this out!

Not sure if it was me.  If I lived in this area and had enough experience about local conditions, I would have waited. Beyond the pier didn't look all that bad but one must take into consideration every aspect of boating including conditions inside the channel. I likely wouldn't not have gone out. 

Unlike your channel that you operate through, this place does not have anything to absorb the energy of the waves. It just gets reflected back into the channel.  At least the passengers were wearing life jackets.

The driver IS A IDIOT !!   You never ride over the crest of a wave with a TUBBY boat that is OVERLOADED.   

On 8/6/2019 at 11:31 AM, SST said:

Not sure if it was me.  If I lived in this area and had enough experience about local conditions, I would have waited. Beyond the pier didn't look all that bad but one must take into consideration every aspect of boating including conditions inside the channel. I likely wouldn't not have gone out. 

I think it was @delaney and the other new member who was asking a lot about buying a 327ssx and how it makes out in following seas.  Doubt that boat has any probes with that even in conditions like this,

Yeah man who'd thunk that harmless rolling waves from behind would cause not only the bow to get plunged into the wave ahead, but to INSTANTANEOUSLY turn what was probably a great and fun trip into a life or death situation like that?!?!  Pus that inflatable whatever it is, is nowhere near designed for this type of heavy, ocean waves.

He would've probably been ok if he just rode the top of the wave and let it take him at in at its speed but then he would've needed to accelerate like the dickens to prevent the net following wave from reaching him, instead of having it follow him and engulf the boat like that.  Reminds me of one of the greatest boating/fishing/love story movie of all time, The Perfect Storm which this was literally the perfect timing for that unfortunate disaster to happen.  You're 100% right, thank God most of those who probably didn't know how to swim, had life jackets on.

On 8/6/2019 at 11:31 AM, SST said:

Unlike your channel that you operate through, this place does not have anything to absorb the energy of the waves. It just gets reflected back into the channel.  At least the passengers were wearing life jackets.

Oh, you're taking about the Blyman Draw Bridge which I opened this thread with.  Yeah, we'll be going through that on Sunday as we headd to the beach early and I'm sure we'll tape some very close and unfortunate calls happening since this year has been unusually full off either accidents or close calls at that draw bridge.  I'll show you a very funny thing very close to there it's called the "Greasy Pole" and it's about 75 yards from the shore and it's a post that sticks out vertical from the ocean bottom and then has a telephone pole bolted horizontally to it and they fill the top of the telephone pole with grease and have competitions to see who can walk out on it as far as possible on that stupid thing as far as possible before taking a header LMFAO!!!  It's hilarious and even more funny that it's only about 100 yards from that drawbridge.  People crashing their boats  a d people falling off the greasy pole all at once nice place to anchor lol.

Few weeks ago, this guy is from Gloucester as seen on his boat name and he was first in like and I was chit chat-ting with him and all was cool but then once we got going, I couldn't believe how he purposely hugged the right side of the bridge which I found astonishing!!!!  My son said "I bet he has a strategy because he's a local and goes right into the marina that's right past the bridge so he must know what he's doing.  Well, even though he didn't his the side.  Well, he came awfully close and I saw NO advantage to doing that. 

It's pretty simple, if you're behind a huge boat, you keep a longer distance in between and slow down until his/her wake dissipates a little, then stay IN THE MIDDLE and throttle up just enough to get you through. The guys who punch it I just can't figure it why.  It was this guy who was maybe 3ft off the right side

0nuglEc.jpg

15 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

The driver IS A IDIOT !!   You never ride over the crest of a wave with a TUBBY boat that is OVERLOADED.   

I think that is probably a bit harsh to call him that, but I'm kinda with you.  He made a HUGE mistake and not sure if it was because he's an idiot or was distracted or was inexperienced.  I think it's the latter.  Amazing how that wave made short work of that boat flipping it over like that.  But this is a HUUGGEEAA lesson for all of us.  It's not just the waves in front of us, but the ones behind us.

That picture IS the best example of    " Pitchpoling "  a boat. 

20131253_29_600_399_a264483e52df8302b49f

That looks lie a lot of fun, probably up to a certain point.  White water rafting with that rig?

River cruises in a bus.       :mandancing:

I will wait for the other tour bus.

I had the link posted but I lost it by accident when I was trying to edit the post for grammar.  Dammmmit!  Anyway, the title was DRONE CAPTURES CAPSIZING BOAT.  I think it was an add for the boat maker themselves that they all do that unfortunately this one went terribly wrong.  It's quite amazing.

But looking back at that very unfortunate and crazy accident in the video I posted above, check out what this drone captures.  I think it was the making of an advertising for this type of boat but you know he was in big trouble prior to what ended up happening.  He didn't have that

And yesterday with the crazy fog in Boston Harbor that we could actually see from 35 miles north of the city, a ferry runs aground.  Boston channels are very strict and you need to stay well within them.  While many venture out of them to reach the islands and all that (including yours truly), you're taking a huge chance because there are A LOT of shallow and dangerous spots including shifting sandbars.  4 injured in this.

Name:  Lightening-ferry-grounding-800x536.jpg Views: 0 Size:  57.7 KB

This is what fog in Boston can look like!  You really need to know how to use your radar.

photo-612.jpg

This pic was taken very early this morning somewhere in Stuart, Florida, but I think (according to the discussion) that it had been moved since and good for the owner.  If there is any damage it's probably minor it the water it deep enough not to have messed with the prop shafts. 

Anyone in FLA stay safe and be careful, looks like that state "should" be ok but Georgia is next so you folks there stay safe.

resized_20190902_153114_c68e11251e155601

On 9/3/2019 at 9:58 AM, Hatem said:

This pic was taken very early this morning somewhere in Stuart, Florida, but I think (according to the discussion) that it had been moved since and good for the owner.  If there is any damage it's probably minor it the water it deep enough not to have messed with the prop shafts. 

Anyone in FLA stay safe and be careful, looks like that state "should" be ok but Georgia is next so you folks there stay safe.

resized_20190902_153114_c68e11251e155601

There is some very shady mess related to that one.  Have a few hours to spare read this:

https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat/1033957-boat-beached-what-say-you.html

Wait to you get to the part about the brother beating the owner with a drive shaft, lol.

7 hours ago, dan02gt said:

There is some very shady mess related to that one.  Have a few hours to spare read this:

https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat/1033957-boat-beached-what-say-you.html

Wait to you get to the part about the brother beating the owner with a drive shaft, lol.

Yeah I followed some of that and what surprised me at first is the marina wouldn't let him dock it there to keep it safe from the surge?  But I think the rest of the pics show the stern in the water and the thing pretty much flooded.  Fraudulent insurance claim? Never know.