Hatem

Ever witness a boating accident?

LOL.  If any 200 foot something or other is coming up on my left (or right, bow or stern for that matter), me and my 31 footer are getting out of the way.  Mass trumps ROW.

LOL. I guess size DOES matter. In this case, at least.

Oh no!  The most beautiful boat ever designed on this earth took a hard hit on the jetty at Oak's Bluff yesterday!  Tough to see such a beauty so helpless, ouch!  Nighttime boating is not for everyone, even in these big-time fancy boats with all the safety and electronics features.  You still need to captain the boat.

Azimut 50 Fly Buffalo Soldier.

http://www.mvtimes.com/2018/08/31/boat-crashes-oak-bluffs-jetty/

CB_boat-crash_01.jpg

IMG_3419.jpg

I love this part lol!

“Apparently he was coming in the wrong side of the jetty,” Harbormaster Todd Alexander said of Jared Barlow, the owner and operator of Buffalo Soldier. Alexander said there was no indication alcohol was a factor and no charges are pending from his department.

“I think he’s just embarrassed,” Alexander said.

Not just anyone can captain a rig like that in the dark, even with all the electronics that must be in that thing.  Although I would think if he did leave from that same inlet, his GPS should've left him bread crumbs to follow back, so why did he go in on the wrong side of the jetty?  Unless he didn't have his bread crumbs or tracking on.  Even so, I think those jetties are clearly defined on any large screen GPS. 

Agree fully. That boat has a vastly more sophisticated and accurate suite of GPS and gadgetry than what you, I and many others have combined. He got it out without missing.  Should be able to get it back without missing.  Follow the trail (crumbs as you say). No idea how the jetty was missed or could have been missed. That's where our friend Paul Harvey comes in.  Now for the rest of the story...

Having the bucks to purchase a boat like that does not mean the fellow driving has a lick of common sense. Just has a fat wallet (not as fat as it was before the crash, anyway).

43 minutes ago, Pops said:

Having the bucks to purchase a boat like that does not mean the fellow driving has a lick of common sense. Just has a fat wallet (not as fat as it was before the crash, anyway).

It's really hard to believe that he was paying attention to anything like this -- which would've been on any GPS screen and probably much better on the Raymarine in that boat -- and somehow not follow the channel?

screen_shot_2018_09_01_at_1_13_57_pm_271 

3 hours ago, Pops said:

Quote of the week, perhaps month. Very well said. 

So I was almost part of a boating accident today on Lake St Clair, but avoided it luckily. 

A storm was rolling in so I was heading back to the marina. As I’m heading in, getting ready to line up with the marina channel (not really necessary as the water is 3’+ right up to the sea wall here), I see a jet ski without a rider floating in line with the channel. There are a few dozen boats all heading toward this area to head into one of the 5 different marina channels here. I spot the jet ski rider bobbing about 20 yds from the jet ski. What I didn’t see were his 2 passengers nearly 50 yds from the jet ski. I was on a direct course toward the passengers and didn’t see them until they were much closer than I would have like. I was probably less than 100 yds out, cruising at 23 MPH before I saw them and adjusted course. As I approached, they were waving for help. We came to an idle and began to circle and put someone on out swim platform with a throwable even though they had life jackets on. Luckily, a smaller cuddy and a second jet ski came over to help. The cuddy has a passenger don a life jacket and jump in to assist the 2 passengers in the water. They got both onto the cuddy and the downed driver of the jet ski managed to get back on. The cuddy took the 2 passengers in to the marina and the jet ski headed back to the launch. 

My conclusion from this is to always maintain a vigilant watch, especially when the light is darkening as a storm rolls in and you’re running with isinglass up impairing clear vision. All 3 downed riders were African American and only had their heads above water. They were very difficult to see with the 1-2 foot waves and poor lighting. 

Looking back, I should have hailed the TowBoat vessel that was maybe 500 yds out. They would have been an extra smaller boat to assist and run a large RIB that the jet ski could have been pulled alongside to aid in reboarding. Along with that, they have flashing emergency lights to keep other boats away. 

9 hours ago, rjbergen said:

and you’re running with isinglass up impairing clear vision.

I've found my isinglass (and it's practically brand new, used it only once and ripped it back off and threw it in the helm storage) is the WORST!  I can't see @#$%@# out of that crap.  Hate it, hate it, hate it!  With a passion. 

But good looking out by you.  You could've easily shredded a couple of human heads with your props if you weren't paying attention. 

I think we all know that fire is probably the worst enemy of boats, and once fiberglass starts burning, it's almost impossible to stop it unless you overwhelm it which ain't gonna happen with just a couple of fire extinguishers.  These folks in Vineyard Heaven lucked out big time, although almost like that Azimut, this Tiara is probably a complete loss.  Glad the two got out safely.

Two people aboard a boat docked at Tisbury Wharf Co. escaped injury when it caught fire at around 1 am, according to Tisbury officials.

The 52-foot boat, named Wanderer, is registered in Newport, R.I. It is owned by Brian Pane of Bristol, R.I.

The fire is under investigation, Tisbury Fire Chief John Schilling told The Times.

IMG_9441.jpg

http://www.mvtimes.com/2018/09/01/two-escape-boat-fire/

13 hours ago, Hatem said:

I've found my isinglass (and it's practically brand new, used it only once and ripped it back off and threw it in the helm storage) is the WORST!  I can't see @#$%@# out of that crap.  Hate it, hate it, hate it!  With a passion. 

But good looking out by you.  You could've easily shredded a couple of human heads with your props if you weren't paying attention. 

I think we all know that fire is probably the worst enemy of boats, and once fiberglass starts burning, it's almost impossible to stop it unless you overwhelm it which ain't gonna happen with just a couple of fire extinguishers.  These folks in Vineyard Heaven lucked out big time, although almost like that Azimut, this Tiara is probably a complete loss.  Glad the two got out safely.

Two people aboard a boat docked at Tisbury Wharf Co. escaped injury when it caught fire at around 1 am, according to Tisbury officials.

The 52-foot boat, named Wanderer, is registered in Newport, R.I. It is owned by Brian Pane of Bristol, R.I.

The fire is under investigation, Tisbury Fire Chief John Schilling told The Times.

IMG_9441.jpg

http://www.mvtimes.com/2018/09/01/two-escape-boat-fire/

Good thing they have managed to escape but then again they still get hurt. 

On 9/1/2018 at 6:11 PM, Curt said:

Quote of the week, perhaps month. Very well said. 

There are boaters, and then there are people that own boats.  Denny

I must lead a sheltered life, the extent of my experiences, is people that can't back up a trailer, or know how to put their boat on it.

I use to belong to a boat club that had a public ramp next to it, that was the daily entertainment.

11 hours ago, joynhappiness said:

Good thing they have managed to escape but then again they still get hurt. 

Indeed.  Looking at that pic a bit more looks like that back seat and portside stern are charred up worst than the rest of the area.  The rear, canvas enclosure also looks like it sizzled right off, not much of it left at all.  I think the galley is right there under that hardtop as soon as you enter the cabin, maybe the cooktop or something cooking on the burners or a gas grill started the fire?  But you're right, that's a painful thing to go through for sure.  Somewhat said that boat had a lot of work done to it in the wintertime, so they had put a lot more money into it before the season and those Tiaras are not exactly cheap boats.  Some of the nicer ones out there in that 40'+ cruiser class.

8 hours ago, Denny said:

There are boaters, and then there are people that own boats.  Denny

I must lead a sheltered life, the extent of my experiences, is people that can't back up a trailer, or know how to put their boat on it.

I use to belong to a boat club that had a public ramp next to it, that was the daily entertainment.

Yup, a Sunday afternoon on the sea wall, at Green Harbor in Marshfield MA, w/ a cooler. Was great afternoon entertainment, especially when the tide was running strong in the river.

Only wish they had the video equipment back then that is available today.

10 hours ago, Denny said:

There are boaters, and then there are people that own boats. 

Another great quote.

Went through the Blyman bridge cut again yesterday and holy cow, there was more traffic in that area than the 4th of July and some massive boats coming in and out of there as well.  And again, the same exact thing happened to the little 12' skiff that was behind us.  Felt really bad because it was our wake that he had to deal with so I feel partly responsible, but there is no other way to cut through that thing without stepping on the throttle a little bit.  I counted 8 boats ahead of me that left a mess behind them for us to deal with but the Chappy handled the mushmush of pounding waves and driving current like a champ.  Looked behind me after getting through and the poor guy with his young son bounced off the walls a couple of times.  It's doubly worst when there's a crowd of on-lookers on top of the bridge just hanging off the balcony and watching and filming all the boats going through lol.  But I slowed down and waited till they caught up to us and asked them if they were ok.  The fella played it off like it was nothing, just a little bump.  It's a nasty spot.

We kept hearing the CG on the radio dealing with a capsized boat and a couple of people in the water at the other end of the river.  By the time we reached that spot we could see them towing the boat.  They were constantly on the radio telling all boaters to make way and keep their distance, so I didn't want to get any closer and get stuck behind them for the trek back through the river so I turned around before reaching them.

That's the boat capsized between the two CG inflatables, but check out that silver Cruisers Black Diamond right behind them.  He ended up behind us all the way back through the river doing 5mph and even he had a tough time getting through the cut!  I watched him work that bow and stern like crazy and at one point he was almost sideways.  Just crazy stuff.  People were having problems all day out on the water.  Harbor masters and the USCG had a very busy day yesterday. 

cZuUUAP.jpg

But once we got out into the harbor, this guy came to portside, waived hello to us and just stepped on it loool.  5 minutes later he was out to ocean.  Beautiful boat.

B2jU2o5.jpg

eCt63t4.jpg

On 9/1/2018 at 7:17 AM, Hatem said:

Oh no!  The most beautiful boat ever designed on this earth took a hard hit on the jetty at Oak's Bluff yesterday!  Tough to see such a beauty so helpless, ouch!  Nighttime boating is not for everyone, even in these big-time fancy boats with all the safety and electronics features.  You still need to captain the boat.

Azimut 50 Fly Buffalo Soldier.

http://www.mvtimes.com/2018/08/31/boat-crashes-oak-bluffs-jetty/

CB_boat-crash_01.jpg

IMG_3419.jpg

I love this part lol!

“Apparently he was coming in the wrong side of the jetty,” Harbormaster Todd Alexander said of Jared Barlow, the owner and operator of Buffalo Soldier. Alexander said there was no indication alcohol was a factor and no charges are pending from his department.

“I think he’s just embarrassed,” Alexander said.

A little sleuthing and I see that he's an anesthesiologist and body builder.  This is his fourth year owning the vessel.  He's had three vessels names "Buffalo Soldier".  He frequently operates it with his wife and two young daughters.  The article says there were four aboard...probably the same four.  Sad to lose such a boat but glad they are all okay. 

1 hour ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Sad to lose such a boat but glad they are all okay

You think it's a total loss?

Being somewhat familiar with the layout of that boat, and from the position it's in, the props and shafts are most likely damaged along with the two, accompanying rudders and the fact that the pump hose is in the forward most porthole window suggests they must be pumping water out of forward master berth which also has beautiful, high end furniture but I think is a step down from the hall that leads to the two aft berths and the engine room where I believe there is a pair if diesel Cummins.  Then there's obviously the gash in the hull.  That is a lot.  Not sure if his insurance would consider that a loss or would cover such a monumental repair job.  

She looks so sad on the beach like that.  Good that they're all okay.  Could have been real bad.  What do you suppose one of those price's out at?  That has to influence whether a total or not, and wherever the shipyard is that built her. 

1 hour ago, Hatem said:

You think it's a total loss?

Yeah, I have no idea at all.  The pump hoses out the porthole made me figure the interior was toast; not to mention the hull gouge.  I have no idea how to "price out" a repair like that....not to mention the horrible resale value after repaired.

On Oak's Bluff.  I have been though there in day light, at night that channel would be tough if you were not using your GPS, radar and fish finder.  On a boat that size, I am sure he had all three. 

17 hours ago, Curt said:

What do you suppose one of those price's out at? 

For that year model which looks like a 2008/2009 model, you can get a used one for about $300k +/-.

Yeah they'll definitely repair it.  They won't be calling that a loss and junking it.  Highly doubt it.  They'll be back out next summer.

17 hours ago, Curt said:

That has to influence whether a total or not, and wherever the shipyard is that built her. 

Azimut is an Italian, luxury brand.  All boats are built in Italy and they are literally the nicest and most common flybridges all over the world because they're simply superb.  They had one at the 2015 Boston boat show and it was marked down from $1.2 million to somewhere in the $800's.   Nowdays you couldn't get any of the newer models for less than $2 million.  They come with IPS pods now.  They even have a passerelle like much larger luxury yachts. 

The raging discussion is how could this guy have come in the wrong side of jetty if he was using his GPS?  I've noticed in my area, people cruise over shallow areas that I avoid like the plague.  I'm glued to my GPS all the time and try to stick to white water as much as possible.  Blue water is anything under 20' and in some cases could be as low as 1.2' at low tide.  Yet I see so many people just fly right through these areas without a care in the world simply because they're either familiar with the area and know their boat will be fine or they simply don't use their GPS.  I bet this guy did the same thing.  Came into the channel, never paid any attention to his GPS and saw the northern jetty and thought it was the southern one.  At nighttime, knowing there are rocks like that, not only would I have my radar overlay, but I would magnify my map to see exactly the location of the two jetties. 

Check out this guy's close call in a beautiful Nordhavn 75 Expedition Yact Fisher.  Now this guy made the right call but even so it was a very close call.  These bigger boats don't turn on a dime.