Hatem

Ever witness a boating accident?

Thank you.

Awesome video. What was he/she trying to do (other than not hit anything and avoid the rocks)? 

Video shows two things. You guys on the ocean are boaters. Most of us inland don’t have to deal with those conditions. Second, there’s no replacement for displacement. When you need the extra HP,  you need it, and you better have it.

It looks like he was trying to come into that entry to a marina or whatever that channel led to and didn't think that nasty current would be a problem but stopped just in time.  Had he gone in any further, he might not have been able to back up enough to give that 75 feet of boat enough room to turn.  Current would've probably pushed him into that rocky ledge.  The other thing I noticed is these towering boats tend to get a bit tippy, lol.  That thing was leaning quite a bit.

We had one of those beauties in our harbor a couple of years ago.  These things are certified ocean crossers.  Nordhavn is an American company but the boats are built in China.  Sometimes they'll test their newly built boats on delivery across the Pacific!!!  lol.

These people came up from Florida to visit us.  How nice of them?  This thing has a magnificent lower cabin/galley/berths, a raised pilot house that has an amazing helm just like a tanker with an aft balcony that has the crane and a flybridge, which also has a helm lol.   

UFffcgB.jpg

o5f4Hhb.jpg

19 hours ago, Curt said:

That’s what I was thinking. Where’s the hull gouge? I don’t see it.

I just assumed there must be one with all the rocks there.  Surely he hit the rocks which disabled him then he wound up on the beach.  Just a guess.

5 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

I just assumed there must be one with all the rocks there.  Surely he hit the rocks which disabled him then he wound up on the beach.  Just a guess.

I think there was a link to the article on Facebook.  IIRC he was leaking diesel so the hull is breached and the fuel tanks damaged I would guess.

18 hours ago, Roady68 said:

I think there was a link to the article on Facebook.  IIRC he was leaking diesel so the hull is breached and the fuel tanks damaged I would guess.

I linked the article in the first post I made on it, next page back.  They did say it leaked a little bit of diesel fuel that got on the jetty rocks and made them a little slippery, so they closed it off to people. 

Martha's Vineyard (along with Nantucket Island) is a major destination for many vacationers to the Cape in the summer.  A lot of boat traffic in and out at all hours of the day and night.  Ferries from all directions coming from Hyannis Port (which is also a huge destination that most people go to see the Kenney compound etc.), a lot going on.  But there are some serious hazards to look out for, that's for sure.  I'm also getting the feeling that a lot of seasoned boaters tend to not really use their GPS' and go with their instincts based on familiarity.  That seems most likely what happened in this case because how could you miss the entrance if you were paying attention to your GPS chart?

oak-bluffs-1024x660.jpg

23 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

There's no doubt that there is a major gash in that thing.  And I'm only assuming this, but those boats should have a pretty thick hull, maybe 1" thick, at least?  And lots of layers of criss-crossing chop strand and glass etc.  Some of the newer models are being built with vacuum infusion but I'm not sure if they do that in these size hulls.  Not sure if there is any additional structural benefit with vacuum infused hulls than the traditional layer build up.

This was another boat from last year (only a 24-footer) that also hit a jetty, but look at that damage.  Ooof.

empire-boat-17fca7bbdfa5feac.jpg

These hulls can only take so much.  Maybe at speeds under 10mph there's a chance of just dinging it, depending on the shape of the rocks as well.  But if you're hauling $^& and slam into one of those things, see ya.  And how do you repair such a thing to it's original structural strength?  I think you have to add a lot of additional bracing that wasn't originally there, just to help fuse it a bit better with the rest of the hull's fiberglass.

empire-boat-7e109896b4cf1047.jpg

empire-boat-2fff2d74af5c720c.jpg

This happened in a local town called Hingham a week and a half ago.  These are all too common and I always wonder how this happens?  Do they forget to put the parking break on or does it just not matter if the ramp is slick and boat too heavy or whatever the case may be, they end up in the water?  This is actually a nightmare, despite how often it seems to happen.

Dl24IQEVAAA5C8J.jpg

On 9/5/2018 at 8:06 AM, Hatem said:

It looks like he was trying to come into that entry to a marina or whatever that channel led to and didn't think that nasty current would be a problem but stopped just in time.  Had he gone in any further, he might not have been able to back up enough to give that 75 feet of boat enough room to turn.  Current would've probably pushed him into that rocky ledge.  The other thing I noticed is these towering boats tend to get a bit tippy, lol.  That thing was leaning quite a bit.

We had one of those beauties in our harbor a couple of years ago.  These things are certified ocean crossers.  Nordhavn is an American company but the boats are built in China.  Sometimes they'll test their newly built boats on delivery across the Pacific!!!  lol.

These people came up from Florida to visit us.  How nice of them?  This thing has a magnificent lower cabin/galley/berths, a raised pilot house that has an amazing helm just like a tanker with an aft balcony that has the crane and a flybridge, which also has a helm lol.   

UFffcgB.jpg

o5f4Hhb.jpg

That looks like a 55' Nordhavn. Thats not a boat, but a ship!!! 

Just to blow your mind!!!!!!!!  It holds 2600 Gals of fuel, 600 gals of water. If it runs out of water, they can flip a switch and turn on a 25 gal per hour water maker. One 330 hp diesel, with a small fly engine if the main engine breaks down. Half of the systems run on 120V A.C. to reduce wight in the wiring for long runs. So there is aways 120v to plug into being powered off a very large inverter. There are two alternators on the main engine, one 150a and one I believe is a 300a to keep the batteries charged up for the inverter.  Two gensets, one 20k and a 6K backup. I just want the 6k backup one! 

Oh, it also has stabilizers that are active. So when you get int those 10 or 12 foot waves, it feels more like 2 or 3 footers. A true blue water boat!

I helped a friend bring his up from Fl.    

This video came up last night while experimenting with my new smart tv......talk about submerged logs!

Looks like Conowingo Dam on the Susquehanna River this summer. I wish to thank Eastern Pennsylvania and Up State New York for all you gifts. Yikes.  W

12 hours ago, Iggy said:

That looks like a 55' Nordhavn. Thats not a boat, but a ship!!! 

Just to blow your mind!!!!!!!!  It holds 2600 Gals of fuel, 600 gals of water. If it runs out of water, they can flip a switch and turn on a 25 gal per hour water maker. One 330 hp diesel, with a small fly engine if the main engine breaks down. Half of the systems run on 120V A.C. to reduce wight in the wiring for long runs. So there is aways 120v to plug into being powered off a very large inverter. There are two alternators on the main engine, one 150a and one I believe is a 300a to keep the batteries charged up for the inverter.  Two gensets, one 20k and a 6K backup. I just want the 6k backup one! 

Oh, it also has stabilizers that are active. So when you get int those 10 or 12 foot waves, it feels more like 2 or 3 footers. A true blue water boat!

I helped a friend bring his up from Fl.    

That stern view is terrific.  You get a better sense of how awesome of a boat it is.  That particular one has some neat features like those kyak holders on each side.  I think they pretty much all come with the crane for the tender.  It's basically a house boat, and a very cozy and fancy one at that.  The interior cabin is fantastic and the raised pilot house is amazing.  Never knew about them until another member mentioned it on the cruiser thead a couple years ago.  Shortly after that we just happen to see this one anchored right at the entrance of Salem harbor.  It's too big for any of the mooring fields and certainly too big for most marinas in the area.  I think it probably has too much draft to pull into our marina, especially at low tide. 

It does burn fuel at a low rate.  I think it's top speed never exceeds 17 or 20 knots for just that reason, on any model.  So a 2600 gallon tank at what, and average or $3.25 a gallon for diesel comes out to...........$8,450 to fill the tank LMFAO.  Hey, it cost me $410 to fill up my $85 gallon tank on the 276 just 2 days ago.  Sucks, but I notice I do get a decent amount of boating for each tank fill up, so that's a good thing.

15 hours ago, jeffk said:

Is that a Sea tow or aaa call?

You know, that's a great question.  Which insurance covers the vehicle damage in this case, boat or auto?

21 minutes ago, Hatem said:

That stern view is terrific.  You get a better sense of how awesome of a boat it is.  That particular one has some neat features like those kyak holders on each side.  I think they pretty much all come with the crane for the tender.  It's basically a house boat, and a very cozy and fancy one at that.  The interior cabin is fantastic and the raised pilot house is amazing.  Never knew about them until another member mentioned it on the cruiser thead a couple years ago.  Shortly after that we just happen to see this one anchored right at the entrance of Salem harbor.  It's too big for any of the mooring fields and certainly too big for most marinas in the area.  I think it probably has too much draft to pull into our marina, especially at low tide. 

It does burn fuel at a low rate.  I think it's top speed never exceeds 17 or 20 knots for just that reason, on any model.  So a 2600 gallon tank at what, and average or $3.25 a gallon for diesel comes out to...........$8,450 to fill the tank LMFAO.  Hey, it cost me $410 to fill up my $85 gallon tank on the 276 just 2 days ago.  Sucks, but I notice I do get a decent amount of boating for each tank fill up, so that's a good thing.

You know, that's a great question.  Which insurance covers the vehicle damage in this case, boat or auto?

Oh NO!! Top speed is more like 10 knots and cruises at 7 to 8 knots. It main engine is only 330HP. Dratft is 6 1/2 feet and more like 7 feet fully loaded with fuel and water. Its not built for speed, but for getting you across the ocean.

6 hours ago, SST said:

This video came up last night while experimenting with my new smart tv......talk about submerged logs!

Unreal.  Those folks in the small boat were in danger, and are fortunate.  The logs popping up as they were trying to get further out was scary and amazing.

17 hours ago, TripleGGG said:

I'm going with sinkhole! 

Definitely a sinkhole, but I was thinking more like "first thing, get the boat outta there quick!" :D

Remember this classic?  This is exactly why I can't and won't go WOT on the ocean unless for some miracle, it happens to be glassy which is almost NEVER!  I get up to 35 - 38 maybe and I can feel that size boat, at any second, if it hits a chop just the right way, this kinda thing will happen.  I don't know how those GoFast guys do it on the ocean.  Maybe their hulls run through the water a bit better but in the 276, it's scary as a MF.

That impact bounced that guy to his left like a falling wooden plank!

This was on one of the big social media sites.  From a local, south shore town up this way, this fella was out last Sunday when we had some pretty decent wind across the entire state shoreline.  But man, those are some vicious swells.  Brave guy, or...?

fb_img_1536587496326_1e18650c3ed79f44780

fb_img_1536587501026_e19ccb2aabb8fcec9e0

I've carried some interesting things on racks on some of my trucks through the years, and I've seen some "interesting" things in my lifetime and this one is right up there with all of them.  Maybe it's a boat delivery service?  Buy why not just tow it?

acid_picdump_45_1_e8bf56c88b11353d71e84b

Out on the water yesterday and when we went out at high tide around noon, headed back around 4pm tide had gone out and dropped about 6+ feet and saw this.  Felt bad for these people but this happens a lot in our area with the brutal tides and more rocky ledged than sandbars in some areas.  But weird that he seemed to be moored, or at least that mooring was very close there so it should've been deep enough.  Unless they didn't account for that huge, center keel on these sailboats.

wQAZj6z.jpg

jEL50ZN.jpg

This is pretty wild!  The USS Anchorage (LPD23) transiting through the Suez Canal in Egypt just a couple of days ago and look at the EPIRB!  That looks exactly like the one I have LOL!  Kinda strange that the US Navy would use such a simple device that I thought would be only for the recreational boating market, not to mention all the equipment and technology the US Navy has to detect and find and locate their own boats!? 

DogChZZWwAAD9zt.jpg

DogCfzXX4AAskvR.jpg

The Jetti Strikes Again!

Tough break for these folks.  This happened 3 days ago at Rockport harbor just a few miles north from here.  A couple bought this sailboat and decided to take a year and leave Rockport MA and sail to the pacific and go through the Panama canal.  Unfortunately they barely made it out of the harbor.  Maybe it's best that it happened the first day they left?  But they're homeless now as a result.  October seas are no joke.

The news video.

https://www.boston25news.com/news/sailboat-trip-to-the-caribbean-ends-in-rockport-the-day-it-began/857906459

capsized.jpg?w=860

3 hours ago, Hatem said:

The Jetti Strikes Again!

Tough break for these folks.  This happened 3 days ago at Rockport harbor just a few miles north from here.  A couple bought this sailboat and decided to take a year and leave Rockport MA and sail to the pacific and go through the Panama canal.  Unfortunately they barely made it out of the harbor.  Maybe it's best that it happened the first day they left?  But they're homeless now as a result.  October seas are no joke.

The news video.

https://www.boston25news.com/news/sailboat-trip-to-the-caribbean-ends-in-rockport-the-day-it-began/857906459

capsized.jpg?w=860

I brought up Google Earth to see if I could tell where they hit.  Hard to tell from pictures.  But did they hit near Beauchamp Point?  

On 7/1/2018 at 2:35 PM, Hatem said:

Out on the ocean all day yesterday and had a great time.  We planed smoothly at 30 mph all the way up to Gloucester and got to the Blynman drawbridge to enter the Annisquam River to head up to Wingaersheek Beach. 

The weekend prior to 4th of July is always jammed with boats in the harbor and the river....forget about it.  Every single boat imaginable from Formula 45PCs to Searays of every single type to runarounds to mahogany Christ Crafts to even a spectacular Azimut 50 flybride and everything else in between.

Once you get to the drawbridge, need to wait until the siren stops car traffic (which could take 15 minutes) then wait another 10 minutes for exiting boat traffic before we're allowed to enter.

Depending on what size boat is in front of you and the wake it leaves behind that ends up slamming the drawbridge walls and coming back in at you, you could have a rough go at it or you could have a relatively easy slide-through.  Still, you need to find that sweet spot of speed, path and control to make it through without getting shoved into the walls.  It's definitely stressful.

Of course, the bigger the boat the easier it is not to be greatly effected by the wake but the smaller the boat..............................and that's what happened in front of our eyes.

On the way out, we were stuck in a caravan of 20+ boats and we were 2nd in line at the drawbridge.  We had to wait for incoming traffic first and lo and behold, there's a HUGE FERRY TRYING TO GET THROUGH!  I swear, he must've had 6 inches on each side and he was gunning it.  Left a wake that turned the boat in front of us completely around (20ft Boston Whaler) and almost shoved us into the rocks on the river's edge.  While the boat in front of us was trying to spin back into forward position, had to wait for another little boat to follow the ferry, about 8 or 10 feet long with a small outboard and captained by a young grandma, her husband who decided to take all the grandchildren with them, maybe 6 of them!

We watched her try to gun it after that ferry only to have the monster wake that was left behind push her completely over where she hit the right side almost head on!  Saw grandpa grab one or two kids from taking a header into the mess of water when suddenly, the momentum of the smack and grandma probably keeping full throttle on the outboard just bounced back off and straight into the other side of the walls!

We watched in horror.  People crowded over the bridge watching this whole incident take place and finally, after crashing twice, grandma got control and eased off the throttle and propped through.  Once they came by us, my wife yelled out to them to see if they were ok and you can tell, everyone besides grandpa were in shock.  Felt really bad.

Never seen  anything like that in the past 4 years of boating.  Have you?  I felt really bad for grandma and you can tell everyone in that boat was shaken up really badly.  You really need to understand the effects of rough water from other boats and really understand how to handle your boat and be very aware of your surroundings out there. 

This is the Blynman drawbridge.  While really scenic and a neat place to boat through, take a look at the wake against the walls after the boat @ minute 0.30.  And this is weekday traffic, so imagine 50 boats in line, one after the other from both ends.  2nd busiest drawbridge on the eastern seaboard, after one in Boca Raton.

I once saw a ferry overturn..Oh My goodness!! there is nothing more sinister compared to this...The over crowded boat had no chance when the multitude of people rushed to alight as it neared the docking place..with the weight imbalance the ferry overturns with everybody still on..The screams could deafen someone miles away..It is sad the people traveling on boats do not take heed on the safety measures required..unfortunately lots of lives were lost..I do not wish to have such an experience again..

P.S.... It important to lean how to swim when visiting the waters..this lessons can come in handy when such incidents happen.