Hatem

Ever witness a boating accident?

6 hours ago, Roady68 said:

I brought up Google Earth to see if I could tell where they hit.  Hard to tell from pictures.  But did they hit near Beauchamp Point?  

Was it Rockport ME?  I thought it was here in Rockport MA?

5 hours ago, aimeusdietger said:

I once saw a ferry overturn..Oh My goodness!! there is nothing more sinister compared to this...The over crowded boat had no chance when the multitude of people rushed to alight as it neared the docking place..with the weight imbalance the ferry overturns with everybody still on..The screams could deafen someone miles away..It is sad the people traveling on boats do not take heed on the safety measures required..unfortunately lots of lives were lost..I do not wish to have such an experience again..

P.S.... It important to lean how to swim when visiting the waters..this lessons can come in handy when such incidents happen.

Where did this happen?  I agree about swimming.  Unfortunately I have an innate fear of sharks that cripples me lol.  The water is extremely cold in these parts that depending on offshore location, one could easily succumb to hypothermia. 

I see this is your first post, welcome.

19 hours ago, Auggie said:

LMAO!

lol.  Definitely not a guy who knows how to operate a forklift very well just judging by his attire! 

Big difference between that and this:  Incredible how heavy the forklift needs to be to counter the weight of the boat.

Not just weight, length also. Most big lift trucks have large adjustable counter weights, and the butt can also scoot back. I’m amazed by the ability to navigate the ramp. I was part of dropping an approximate 60,000 pound pick because we tried to back up an incline with the load high instead of pulling the trailer out from underneath, lowering and then backing. No one was hurt, but the piece was damaged. We also punched cleanly through 8 inch large diameter rebar reinforced concrete and the trailer/semi was pushed about 10 feet like a rag doll. Strangly, only bent the underslung tool box. The driver’s quote was priceless: “have you guys done this before?”. 

That kinda thing will certainly reshape your thought process going forward on how to handle certain heavy lifting items, for sure.  I've dealt with all sorts of heavy loads at my jobsites through the years and no matter how many times I go through it, it's always a pucker moment.  Some of the cranes and boom trucks that show up to hoist large pallets of lumber or steel beams and things of that sort are never things you get really used to, TBH.  Unless it's something you do on a daily basis, even then, you have to worry about complacency.  That's a VERY dangerous aspect.

I had a peculiarly difficult project where I couldn't bring in any heavy equipment into the back because it was already a finished home with a just completed, super elaborate landscape project in the backyard, so an existing bulkhead entry that needed to be reconfigured to a new, open stair entry had to be done by hand! lol.  And at 52 years old, this kinda thing gets A LOT more difficult than at 25.  Ended up building an A-frame with a come-along to hoist the heavy boulders out of the bulkhead staircase and then had to figure out how to get those boulders to the front driveway into the dump truck.  So I borrowed this thing from my excavator.  A mini, walk-behind Bobcat.  This thing is GREAT!  But you still have to be mindful of how much weight you put into the bucket because you have to lift it up and forward into the dump truck.  But you can see the way it's designed towards the back to balance out the heavy load in the front to avoid tipping it.

20180601_095422.jpg

The owner of this Azimut 50 was probably juuuuuust a little upset about what happened here.  

That video is amazing. One bummed operator. One bummed owner for sure. In our case, it was a pretty routine pick and not the first time. But, what broke the routine was a nice early summer evening, a truck in almost on top of our 7 pm shift change, a Friday, a driver not wanting to wait until Saturday morning to offload, us wanting to help him get home, etc. In a hurry, no. Other stuff on our mind, yes. Off our routine, yes. The rest is history - we dropped the load. But I’ll tell you this, when the rear of the big Versa-Lift came up and off the ground, everything slowed way down and it was almost out of body. Like standing there, but watching it from a different vantage point. It was and is still a very odd feeling. In the end, it served up a few very good lessons.

8 hours ago, Hatem said:

So what was the 60K load?

A large steel roll, plus the 4-bearings and bearing housings and storage cradle. Tolerances are < 39 millionths with a target of 20 (diameter, shape, runout). You can sit, somewhat comfortably, in the bearing housing. Hitting the concrete altered the tolerances somewhat (ha, ha). Again, no one was hurt. Tried to post a pic., but it's too large.

22 hours ago, Curt said:

A large steel roll, plus the 4-bearings and bearing housings and storage cradle. Tolerances are < 39 millionths with a target of 20 (diameter, shape, runout). You can sit, somewhat comfortably, in the bearing housing. Hitting the concrete altered the tolerances somewhat (ha, ha). Again, no one was hurt. Tried to post a pic., but it's too large.

Wow, that roll itself must've been pretty huge.  Was this before or after the imposed tariffs on steel & aluminum?  :D

You're right, though, as long as no one got hurt.  Materials are replaceable and that's what insurance is for.

Here's a pic. of the same roll, different serial number, without the 4 bearings and bearing housings. The face is just over 11 feet wide, and the journals on either side are about 7 and 5 feet long respectively.  We dropped it a few years back, so before tariffs were even a thought. Sad and sorry to say, not made in the U.S./North America any longer. Two + decades back is when the capabilities were scrapped and last production occurred. It's unfortunate, but we've essentially given many of our markets away. For quality rolls of this type, Germany is the only credible option today. Lesser quality "1/2 price versions" are available from a country commonly considered low cost, but you get what you pay for and then pay over and over again producing scrap. 

240764500_imagejpeg_-Copy.jpg.3852fbf4eb46b6b53cf1bafc8f1bf46a.jpg

Incredible.  Big piece of equipment, Curt.  You can roll out a pretty big chunk of pizza dough with that.  Seriously, is that for rolling out sheets of steel and aluminum etc.?

On 11/15/2018 at 3:41 PM, Hatem said:

Incredible.  Big piece of equipment, Curt.  You can roll out a pretty big chunk of pizza dough with that.  Seriously, is that for rolling out sheets of steel and aluminum etc.?

Looks like a rotor for large industrial electrical motor.

Not a big motor, but a real big piece of equipment. These rolls are “just” components of something much larger that’s used to make plastic films, or if equipped as such, paper. Very similar to the equipment used to manufacture and finish steel and aluminum coil.

12 hours ago, Hatem said:

32_93aa3bd66c04cd7210ac26631913acb05a049

33_3839b88cbe45f6598d6a63d0808a9be71ba23

Not what I would call totally safe, but it is one way to move 2 boats and 3 trailers with one truck.

Actually that looks like something that I would do.  Denny.

From the looks of the top picture, those tires look awfully close to the fender. No shadow to show any gap. One bad pot hole for bump and they'll be shredded and we'll have boat pizza all over the road.

12 hours ago, Denny said:

Not what I would call totally safe, but it is one way to move 2 boats and 3 trailers with one truck.

I figured that pic would cause an uproar on this forum.  :haha-7383:

12 hours ago, Denny said:

Actually that looks like something that I would do.  Denny.

lol, there you go!  Get 'er done, right?  If I was in a pinch and had no other choice, yep!  Goes completely against the tidy whitey school of thought around here lmao.  I just don't know how he made that turn out of the gas lane bay in the first pic with those parked cars.  Looks too tight to swing that much trailer behind you.

9 hours ago, SST said:

From the looks of the top picture, those tires look awfully close to the fender. No shadow to show any gap. One bad pot hole for bump and they'll be shredded and we'll have boat pizza all over the road.

If you were a cop and saw that, what would you do?  There has to be more than 3 violations in that setup.  And how are those 2 trailers held together?  Looks like it's just that one strap.  And how do you get a trailer under another that has a boat on it?!  He must've mounted a trailer hitch on that lower trailer to hook up the trailing one.

11 hours ago, Hatem said:

I figured that pic would cause an uproar on this forum.  :haha-7383:

lol, there you go!  Get 'er done, right?  If I was in a pinch and had no other choice, yep!  Goes completely against the tidy whitey school of thought around here lmao.  I just don't know how he made that turn out of the gas lane bay in the first pic with those parked cars.  Looks too tight to swing that much trailer behind you.

If you were a cop and saw that, what would you do?  There has to be more than 3 violations in that setup.  And how are those 2 trailers held together?  Looks like it's just that one strap.  And how do you get a trailer under another that has a boat on it?!  He must've mounted a trailer hitch on that lower trailer to hook up the trailing one.

Hey, what ever floats your boat, or gets it to the water.

Where there is a will, there is a way. 

Would have been nice to have had some some pop and:popcorn:and been there to watch that show., along with the unloading too.  Denny.

SO many things wrong with that set up.  I don't really believe Denny, of all people, would get behind the wheel of that negligence.  But like y'all said, I appreciate the mindset of: find a way, bring on the challenge.  But still.  That guy took a guy the approach of:  throw it against the wall, see if it sticks.

I don't crunch towing numbers to any specific degree, but I do believe in having some 'overhead' room in my capacity.  I take towing any trailer seriously.

39 minutes ago, Futzin' said:

SO many things wrong with that set up.  I don't really believe Denny, of all people, would get behind the wheel of that negligence.  But like y'all said, I appreciate the mindset of: find a way, bring on the challenge.  But still.  That guy took a guy the approach of:  throw it against the wall, see if it sticks.

I don't crunch towing numbers to any specific degree, but I do believe in having some 'overhead' room in my capacity.  I take towing any trailer seriously.

NO, there is know way that I would do that to my girl.

And just how safe is this?  Denny.

14191183659_33a34fefce_z.jpg

I only see 2 things really that are of major concern. 

1) The 2nd, tri-axle trailer is missing the center axle so it's basically a 2-axle trailer carrying all that weight.  But that's not really a huge deal since it's basically carrying that one boat and the weight of that other trailer.  My dual-axle EZ Loader is rater for 8,000lbs and I'm just under that with the 276.  So I don't think there's really an over-weight problem as long as the two trailers are properly hitched to the truck and are mechanically connected together and not just by those two yellow straps. 

2) With a trailer on top of a trailer, the bottom one is really close to the ground and will scrape for sure.  Also the rear trailer is hitched to that middle trailer fairly low and that will scrape and catch going up curbs etc.  Other than that...

I think the only real traffic violation would be the missing center wheels.

11 hours ago, Denny said:

And just how safe is this?  Denny.

14191183659_33a34fefce_z.jpg

That's perfectly fine.  I've actually seen similar setups several times.