Hatem

Ever witness a boating accident?

29 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

Some Bondo and a garage sale will fix it up.

LOL. What do you suppose happened? Did it burn up or rust away? That’s unreal.

They were doing a destructive test of the new Carbon Fiber lower units coming out in 2 years.

They are doing away with the expense of drain screws. 

15 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

They were doing a destructive test of the new Carbon Fiber lower units coming out in 2 years.

They are doing away with the expense of drain screws. 

Your humor is on today. Good golly. Funny.

Actually, yes but not witnessed visually.  

We were anchored for the night on one of many Ottawa river beaches, sitting around the campfire on Canada Day weekend, when around 10:00 we heard a loud bang.  At first we thought fireworks but no other sound followed.

Turned out that a 20 something year old had taken a woman out on a seadoo in the dark (at her insistence) and piled into a rock island less than a km away. We heard the impact.  Both were killed instantly.  One of our party took the military first responders out to the scene in his fishing boat.  He needed a stiff beverage for a nightcap needless to say.  Not a good night.

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:22 PM, KDV said:

Actually, yes but not witnessed visually.  

We were anchored for the night on one of many Ottawa river beaches, sitting around the campfire on Canada Day weekend, when around 10:00 we heard a loud bang.  At first we thought fireworks but no other sound followed.

Turned out that a 20 something year old had taken a woman out on a seadoo in the dark (at her insistence) and piled into a rock island less than a km away. We heard the impact.  Both were killed instantly.  One of our party took the military first responders out to the scene in his fishing boat.  He needed a stiff beverage for a nightcap needless to say.  Not a good night.

That's incredible.  I can't imagine what it must've been like for that fella who took the responders out there and seeing two dead people.  Thanks for sharing that.

A few months ago, a couple and one of their friends slammed their boat into a jetty at nighttime in Miami.  The couple dies leaving a 17 year-old boy but their friend survived.  Nighttime boating of any type is obviously much more dangerous but it really is staggering how many people are careless about it.

23 minutes ago, Hatem said:

That's incredible.  I can't imagine what it must've been like for that fella who took the responders out there and seeing two dead people.  Thanks for sharing that.

A few months ago, a couple and one of their friends slammed their boat into a jetty at nighttime in Miami.  The couple dies leaving a 17 year-old boy but their friend survived.  Nighttime boating of any type is obviously much more dangerous but it really is staggering how many people are careless about it.

I did first serious night time boating late last summer.  I was mentally exhausted after a 30 minute ride home.  I had chart plotter and radar going.  I dimmed all the helm lights just to get some night vision.  And that is with quite a bit of light off the roads and shore establishments.  

Truth be told, I love cruising at night. Late at night when most everybody is off the water.  The same when I flew. Even George Lucus' Indiustrial Light and Magic couldn't reproduce flying at night. Its just a whole nother world.

But, ya gotta be good at it.

I've traveled the Niagara River many times at night over the past 11 years. The only change that is really annoying are the docking lights that boaters are using for navigation. I may see you coming at me, but I can't see what's going on behind you cuz your BLINDING ME!  Submerged logs at night aren't really nice either. 

Remember all those NIGHTTIME PADDLE BOARDERS.

In black clothing to keep warmer.

We have them.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:02 AM, Roady68 said:

I did first serious night time boating late last summer.  I was mentally exhausted after a 30 minute ride home.  I had chart plotter and radar going.  I dimmed all the helm lights just to get some night vision.  And that is with quite a bit of light off the roads and shore establishments.  

Yep, it's definitely hectic especially if you're in a busy area.  A lot of the commercial fishing boats and cargo ships etc. are out at nighttime as well as recreational fishing boaters in their CCs, all zipping in and out of channels and ports.  So far I've been out at nighttime about a dozen times and the first few times was brutally stressful because it was for fireworks.  We left Salem harbor at daylight and headed 20 miles south to Boston Harbor and you can imagine how crowded that is on the 4th of July?  Really smart by us to pick our first nighttime experience on the 4th of July lmfao.  Getting back around midnight was a challenge and a half!  Like anything else, the next few times it got easier and I did just like you, learned how to dim all the electronics and thank goodness for radar and dual screen because I'm literally glued to them, which is probably not a great thing, but can't help it.  I worry a lot about staying in deep enough water and now you have to worry about things you can't see.  Having my son or someone spot off the bow is a huge help.  Missed a nun by inches one time because spotter called it out just in time.  Even though we're cruising at 15-18 mph, running straight into one of those big $^&, red, floating chunks of metal can't be fun at all.  Not to mention the work afterwards on the fiberglass & gelcoat.

15 hours ago, SST said:

I've traveled the Niagara River many times at night over the past 11 years. The only change that is really annoying are the docking lights that boaters are using for navigation. I may see you coming at me, but I can't see what's going on behind you cuz your BLINDING ME!  Submerged logs at night aren't really nice either. 

Hahaha, yep, those logs are a #$%^$%&$.  Despite the damage it did cause, I can't believe how well that Alpha drive withstood the impact with that thing, all things considered.

So with all this screaming new technology that is all around us and engulfing us on a daily basis, including electric cars and hybrids, our dependency on this tech is definitely getting worst and worst to a point where we're probably neglecting other safety factors.  This is a prime example of that and while it may appear that we're ragging on this poor fella, we're really not, but the mistakes he made nearly cost him his life.  He's lucky he didn't break an arm or lose one even. 

And then there's the issue of electric cars and water.  So after all this disaster and checking the twitter video, check the link because the lithium batteries on the Mitsubishi ignite after the boat and car were hauled out and it took 2 hours for the firemen to put out the fire.  We're going into an interesting direction in our lives and dependency on all this new tech, but we still need to be cognizant of basic safety procedures.  God bless this fella and I'm glad he didn't get crippled, let alone even die!  But how many wrong things did he do?

Here's the link for the video and for the complete story about the batteries lightning up.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/caught-on-camera-hybrid-electric-suv-plunges-into-water-at-port-moody-boat-launch-1.4425001?fbclid=IwAR0n3aE9eEoErQBv48WmPxYXCCQ3GDlcK6F5X9BhEKOczZ23ATcETpDxxC0

Bottom line, he was not ready to launch that boat

10 hours ago, Denny said:

Bottom line, he was not ready to launch that boat

Not sure what he was doing in the boat halfway down the middle of the ramp?  If he's launching solo or even with someone, always wait for a clearing by either docks so you can hold the lines and guide and tie off the boat.  Maybe he forgot to do something in the boat and decided to get back on it for some strange reason.  He's really lucky.

Obviously he was trying to get to his truck to stop it. But clearly in panic mode, he failed to think it out, and totally misjudged his ability to jump off the boat.

Several times, I've seen boaters get into position and start backing down the ramp, stop and then start prepping the boat for launch.  Drives me nuts cuz then it blocks the ramp to those who are prepped and ready. Two years ago, I couldn't contain myself and scolded a family. They had pulled into the launch ramp and started transferring their chairs, coolers, lines, bumpers etc etc. He wasn't listening but the wife was. From a distance, I could see she convinced him to pull away from the ramp into the parking area and finish.

Broken shifter pin, kid playing inside,  brake release/failure? Regardless of how he got into this position, he's darn lucky. 

3 hours ago, SST said:

Obviously he was trying to get to his truck to stop it. But clearly in panic mode, he failed to think it out, and totally misjudged his ability to jump off the boat.

You know, even in my F-450 dually with all its heavy duty everything, once I'm backed in all the way to the dualiies just at the waterline and I know the boat's stern is floating, I'll put it in park, press the hand brake and then get out and put one of those large, heavy, rubber chalks on my left front wheel before doing anything else.  Plus I'm always in 4X4 Low going up or down.  I go way overboard because I don't care!  I'd rather look like a paranoid donkey than suffer the consequence that could've been avoided.  AND I always back down the ramp with the dock on my right side (even if I have to wait 1/2 hour for it) because it much easier to pull the boat off the trailer and tie it off and access the truck immediately, especially doing it solo.  When I am doing it solo, I actually tie off the midship line to a dock cleat with plenty of slack while holding the bow line in my hand as I winch the boat down.  That way I can grab her from sailing away with the bow line and the midship prevents the stern from turning sideways in the ramp lane.  What this guy was doing IN the boat halfway down the ramp close to the water is beyond me.  Not sure why he needed to get into the boat at that moment?  If he was near the dock, his jump out of the boat wouldn't have been so nasty.  And those Mitsubishi brakes had problems as well and apparently there was a major recall for them.  Even if he was in Park, something went wrong with the transmission.

Just saw this pic on another forum and thought it was great, especially the name.  They'll be waiting for sure.  And love the little bugaboos trying to push the boat.  :lol:

20190526_082035_1e3162a4e03fc8da79f66e46

Thought this one was pretty cool too.

image_6a73470a8b52b70d2ccd988bdbe08377a6

Is that extreme low tied, where'

9 hours ago, Hatem said:

Just saw this pic on another forum and thought it was great, especially the name.  They'll be waiting for sure.  And love the little bugaboos trying to push the boat.  :lol:

20190526_082035_1e3162a4e03fc8da79f66e46

Thought this one was pretty cool too.

image_6a73470a8b52b70d2ccd988bdbe08377a6

Is this extreme low tied, where's  the rest of the water that is supposed to be under the boat?

My girl experienced something like only once in her life since I have had her. And when she hit her bottom, man did she cry. I promised to never let that happen to her again.

The story behind it. A friend that had a1985 23 ft Welcraft Nova at the time was driving. We were coming up on a large cruiser, and he was going to pull to starboard to clear the cruiser's wake, well we sure did. He did not know that I did not set as deep in the water as he did when on plane, because of the 2 different bottom configurations.  Denny.

13 hours ago, Denny said:

Is that extreme low tied, where'

Is this extreme low tied, where's  the rest of the water that is supposed to be under the boat?

My girl experienced something like only once in her life since I have had her. And when she hit her bottom, man did she cry. I promised to never let that happen to her again.

The story behind it. A friend that had a1985 23 ft Welcraft Nova at the time was driving. We were coming up on a large cruiser, and he was going to pull to starboard to clear the cruiser's wake, well we sure did. He did not know that I did not set as deep in the water as he did when on plane, because of the 2 different bottom configurations.  Denny. 

Funny you mentioned that because the first thing that came to mind was how perfectly balanced that boat is sitting on the sand.  See, I wouldn't mind beaching the 276 like that if I knew we were going to camp out on the beach for the next 12 hours when the tide comes back in (which is probably what this guy did) except I'm pretty sure with my deep V, it'll rock over like a wood plank.  That I don't want happening and I'm surprised that boat in the pic sits so perfectly flat like that.  What kind of hull is that?

This happens a lot around our way up here, people do this on a regular basis.  This is in Cape Cod.

NJG3kGa.jpg

wER65AP.jpg

3 hours ago, Hatem said:

Funny you mentioned that because the first thing that came to mind was how perfectly balanced that boat is sitting on the sand.  See, I wouldn't mind beaching the 276 like that if I knew we were going to camp out on the beach for the next 12 hours when the tide comes back in (which is probably what this guy did) except I'm pretty sure with my deep V, it'll rock over like a wood plank.  That I don't want happening and I'm surprised that boat in the pic sits so perfectly flat like that.  What kind of hull is that?

This happens a lot around our way up here, people do this on a regular basis.  This is in Cape Cod.

NJG3kGa.jpg

wER65AP.jpg

WoW! All we have to deal with is which way the wind is blowing and how hard.  Denny.

56 minutes ago, Denny said:

You mean people actually wanted those boats dry at low tide?  One of the darnedest thing I’ve seen. 

4 minutes ago, Curt said:

You mean people actually wanted those boats dry at low tide?  One of the darnedest thing I’ve seen. 

Yeah it's pretty crazy.  And this is just a small sampling.  This was in Wellfleet which is one of only 3 or 4 spots with a ramp once you get past the big towns like Hyannis and are actually on the horn of the Cape.  When I took those pics, we were on vacation and this is where we were planning on launching the boat and once I saw this @#$%@#, I said @#$^#^ that! :haha-7383:

Then we went further up where we were staying in Provincetown and you couldn't even make the turn from the main street into the ramp lot with an RV4 towing a dinghy, let alone a huge Ford with a 36ft trailer loool.  But you walk down the beach which is much longer than that marsh area in those pics and you'll see hundreds of boats moored and laying on their hulls at low tide just like that.  Talk to anyone of the owners and it's perfectly normal for them and doesn't cause any damage as long as it's sand.  Come high tide and they float right back up. I do have a pic somewhere of that where you see boats sitting on their hulls for as far as you can see.

3 minutes ago, Hatem said:

Yeah it's pretty crazy.  And this is just a small sampling.  This was in Wellfleet which is one of only 3 or 4 spots with a ramp once you get past the big towns like Hyannis and are actually on the horn of the Cape.  When I took those pics, we were on vacation and this is where we were planning on launching the boat and once I saw this @#$%@#, I said @#$^#^ that! :haha-7383:

Then we went further up where we were staying in Provincetown and you couldn't even make the turn from the main street into the ramp lot with an RV4 towing a dinghy, let alone a huge Ford with a 36ft trailer loool.  But you walk down the beach which is much longer than that marsh area in those pics and you'll see hundreds of boats moored and laying on their hulls at low tide just like that.  Talk to anyone of the owners and it's perfectly normal for them and doesn't cause any damage as long as it's sand.  Come high tide and they float right back up. I do have a pic somewhere of that where you see boats sitting on their hulls for as far as you can see.

Wow.  Only seen something like that after a storm.  And to think, trailer and lift bunks give me anxiety.  You know, all that soft carpet rubbing on the hull.

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 2:22 PM, Curt said:

Wow.  Only seen something like that after a storm.  And to think, trailer and lift bunks give me anxiety.  You know, all that soft carpet rubbing on the hull.

loool, so true!  Here we are fussing and worrying about hairline rubs and what type of fender covers are soft enough to not hurt our precious hulls while these guys lay their boats right on the ground.  :haha-7383: And in some of those pics it doesn't look exactly like soft sand, either.  More like a mix of sand and rocks and pebbles.

So this happened yesterday on the more common of the two bridged that cross the Cape Cod Canal from the mainland to Cape Cope here in MA, the Sagamore bridge.  I've towed the 276 several times over this super tight asss bridge and look at those lanes looool.  Imagine a 29ft boat being trailered by a dually trying to stay in one of those lanes with those 2ft high curbs!  Ain't gonna happen.  I always take part of the other lane as well because it's just too gaddam tight of a lane.  Just put my blinkers on and go slow and most people stay behind me until the end or they get a clearing to pass. 

Knowing this bridge pretty well, you know this fella just came too close to that high curb and this was the result.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cape-cod-bridge-shut-down-after-crash-involving-boat/ar-AAC9SaJ?ocid=spartanntp

a group of men riding on the back of a truck: Sagamore Bridge Boat Crash

The Lilyputian forgot to bother with stern tie downs or a licenses plate. The southern Good Old Boys are rolling on the floor about this one.  :clapsmiley:

That is how you change the left rear flat tire. Without a jack.

Maybe it thought it was a dog & the Jeep was a marking pole ?