Hatem

Ever witness a boating accident?

1 hour ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Next boat...."Be Happy"  :D

Funny. Or, “No Sinky”.

1 hour ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Next boat...."Be Happy"  :D

Who doesn't love that song?!  I bet that whole title belongs on many boats!

33 minutes ago, Curt said:

Funny. Or, “No Sinky”.

Change it up a little, I like it.  I quoted TP with the picture because he picked up on the name of the unfortunately sizzled boat out of one of our local marinas is Situate, Ma, and I had responded on how ironic these names seems to be on these boats that suffer these terrible consequences.  Just a fascinating phenomenon to me.

I posted this pic below on @Bt Doctur's carburetor thread, but since he put up a rather interesting title to go with it, the thread turned into pics of hot chicks almost immediately and he was the one who initiated it, so can't blame others such as yours trult or @jeffk for taking advantage of that LOL!  

BUT WTF are these two still doing on the boat that is half full of water and being towed back?  Is it really that much fun?  I guess I forget with age!

imshmacked_62390717_714643385632289_1901

8 minutes ago, SST said:

I presume we've seen this.

Yeah saw it on the news this morning, pretty amazing and scary as heck.

51' Sundancer got hit by lightning at Texoma this weekend.  Fried all the electronics and engines wouldn't operate.  He had to be towed in.

How do you explain this to your insurance company?

12 hours ago, Sinecure said:

Someone came into the dock a little hot...

Boat1.jpg

Boat2.jpg

boat3.jpg

That's awesome!  Not the accident, of course, but the post!  Thanks for posting that, Sinecure.  Feel bad for the owner of the Pontoon, poor guy has it parked one minute and the next it has a Baja sitting over it.  :lol:

Any idea where this was?

Sweet-looking boat, too! Shame for the roof and the pontoon looool.  Hope no on was hurt?

Thought this was funny. With all the wake speed boarding issues I've had lately I gotta laugh at this one, as much as an unfortunate situation will allow one to laugh without crossing that unclear inconsiderate line.

funny_pic_20_no_wake_b560a972aeca9114ed7

The St. Francis river used to flood the main street of a small town I used to live in. There was a permanent sign erected stating no motor boats over 5hp.

On 7/9/2019 at 8:42 AM, SST said:

How do you explain this to your insurance company?

'I only had one drink sir'

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 4:08 PM, Waterfun said:

The St. Francis river used to flood the main street of a small town I used to live in. There was a permanent sign erected stating no motor boats over 5hp.

Check this out.  You've heard of the influx of great white sharks that we've had in Cape Cod, yes?  Well, most of them gather around the southern tip of the horn or the Cape outside of a well-known towns called Chatham which borders the infamous island of Monomoy. Monomoy is considered a natural persevere for wildlife, marine, shorebirds of all types but the main occupant are harbor seals. There are literally hundreds of thousands of them that take over that entire island.

Here's quick look at the topography of the inland and you can see where the town of Chatham is in relation.

See the source image

I've taken the 267 through the cut from Chatham and to the south end of North Monomoy island and looking to see if we can find great whites feeding on seals or just swimming by and get some cool photos and videos, but we didn't find any. This was September 2015 and we're going again this September because shark actitivty has increased exponentially in the last couple of years with 1 very bad attack and one fatality but much further north from this point. There are a lot of YT vdeos of people fishing or just boating in this area and seeing sharks attacking and devouring seals or even huge sharks just coming right up and circling the boats etc.

The reason I'm posting all of this is that this happened 2 or 3 days ago right along that Monomoy Island stretch.  The boat had 4 people and who know why, but it flipped in a pitch pole way, meaning stern over bow!!!!  That must've been absolutely crazy for that to happen.  Not much in the news about it except how if flipped and that all 4 people got rescued very quickly, luckily, and the boat got towed back flipped over!!!  Never knew that was possible to do so since the drag and the chance of it suddenly going under and pulling the towboat with it are high!  Crazy!  So those 4 got lucky they got rescued before any great whites got to them and have you or anyone else ever seen any boat towed upside down like that?

c0b7d6a2_c30d_4bdc_8505_0e8a32967ec7_309

12 hours ago, Hatem said:

have you or anyone else ever seen any boat towed upside down like that?

A 22 foot center console with a pair of 150's was swamped in Port Bruce, about 100 feet from the pier. It was towed up the creek to the marina upside down. But only 8 feet of water and about 10 minutes. Certainly not of the scale in your picture.

1482650533_20190707_152347copy.jpg.e4fd658a3ddd327f94ac7c95c83af753.jpg

Wow, very cool, Waterfun.  Thanks for posting that.  Crazy, granted that one was swamped so no fault of the owner, but it seems to me that those center consoles are so fast and maneuverable and think newbies to that style boat get a bit complacent about how far they can push them.  But in the Monomoy one, the biggest discussion ATM is how does a boat flip over stern over bow?  :blink:

10 minutes ago, Hatem said:

Wow, very cool, Waterfun.  Thanks for posting that.  Crazy, granted that one was swamped so no fault of the owner, but it seems to me that those center consoles are so fast and maneuverable and think newbies to that style boat get a bit complacent about how far they can push them.  But in the Monomoy one, the biggest discussion ATM is how does a boat flip over stern over bow?  :blink:

Perhaps one of those Great White sharks got a hold of it. BTW, I'll never be visiting South Beach. Looks really nice but...

4 minutes ago, Waterfun said:

Perhaps one of those Great White sharks got a hold of it. BTW, I'll never be visiting South Beach. Looks really nice but...

lol, you know some will say that for the most part these animals will only be inquisitive and come and check you out and when they find out you're human and not a fish by either looking at you or taking a little nibble that doesn't taste right to them looool, check this really quick video out that puts all those theories to sleep!  These are aggressive creatures and will take the right opportunity to make you pay.

So this guy is Greg Skomal, he's the head of the great white shark conservancy and he's been the one researching all these whites here in the Cape and installing transmitting buoys and counting them and he's also part of the director's board at the New England Aquarium which gives him a lot of this authority to go out looking for these animals and harpooning tags into them.  Well, guess what, a shark that gets a tag harpooned into it -- even if it's at the lower dorsal part that apparently doesn't really hurt them -- is probably going to get quite pisssed off and isn't that like the last thing you want to do to a great white shark, pisss it off?  So not sure why this GW acted the way it did in this video but my guess is that Skomal tried to harpoon it before and either missed or whatever, but essentially pisssed it off royally.  So it tried to return the favor and watch what this thing did!  It's truly incredible.  I don't think anything like this has ever been recorded and funny how they didn't talk much about this specific behavior of the animal. 

11 hours ago, Hatem said:

But in the Monomoy one, the biggest discussion ATM is how does a boat flip over stern over bow?

A very large wave from astern.  Denny

11 hours ago, Denny said:

But in the Monomoy one, the biggest discussion ATM is how does a boat flip over stern over bow?

A very large wave from astern.  Denny

I think that's pretty much the only way something like that can happen, right?  A lot of guys out at the same time reported huge swells, I forget the numbers but some predictions were in the 10 to 15 foot high swells but usually swells, even close to each other wouldn't cause such a thing.  This had to be a major wave that just timed right with the boat to cause it to flip stern over bow.  That's some scary stuff.  Then knowing there are great white sharks in those waters in large numbers must've been quite frightening.  Hopefully they were able to get up on the hull and sit there out of the water until rescue showed up.

I have my EPIRB set up and it's a floater so it once it gets ingulfed in water, it knows the boat is sinking and it automatically separates, activates and floats.  I feel much better with that but when I was at West Marine the other day, I'm looking at all the new, compact ones they have and I can't believe how small they've become.

IbWhC1Y.jpg

On 7/20/2019 at 7:55 AM, Hatem said:

I think that's pretty much the only way something like that can happen, right?  A lot of guys out at the same time reported huge swells, I forget the numbers but some predictions were in the 10 to 15 foot high swells but usually swells, even close to each other wouldn't cause such a thing.  This had to be a major wave that just timed right with the boat to cause it to flip stern over bow.  That's some scary stuff.  Then knowing there are great white sharks in those waters in large numbers must've been quite frightening.  Hopefully they were able to get up on the hull and sit there out of the water until rescue showed up.

I have my EPIRB set up and it's a floater so it once it gets ingulfed in water, it knows the boat is sinking and it automatically separates, activates and floats.  I feel much better with that but when I was at West Marine the other day, I'm looking at all the new, compact ones they have and I can't believe how small they've become.

IbWhC1Y.jpg

Pretty sure you need a breaking wave from astern to cause a full pitch pole.

The devices you pictured are a mix of EPIRBs, PLBs, and MOB beacons. I'm considering renting at least a PLB for my upcoming cruise to Port Sanilac which is about 20 miles up the coast of Lake Huron once I exit the St. Clair River heading north.

EPIRBs (third in from the left) are expensive, like $500+, and meant to be a signal for your boat by sending a signal to the satellite search and rescue network. They all float, have greater battery life (due to larger size), and many (all?) have strobes to help locate you at night.

PLBs (second in from left, and last three on the right) are meant to be worn on life jackets and/or carried with you. They signal the satellite network to call for help. Some float and some have digital screens on them. There are much more reasonably priced, but still run around $300 and you must replace every 6 years.

The other two devices pictured are AIS man overboard beacons. They do not notify the satellite network. Instead, they broadcast an AIS signal so that all local vessels which have AIS enabled will see the signal on their connected device.

On 7/20/2019 at 7:55 AM, Hatem said:

IbWhC1Y.jpg

Well " I'm looking at all the new, compact ones they have and I can't believe how small they've become." Because only one of them is a EPRIB.

I bought one of these  https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?name=acr-resqlink-personal-locator-beacon&path=-1|135|2028709|2028730&id=5539677  Its not as good and it manual operated.  

Love all the save the animal people. Then keep quiet when the over population brings in people eating attackers.  Animals are FAR MORE important than people.  Ask them .

Shoving the bow under a big wave at high speed works. Almost done that 2 X...…………….Need a crane to roll over glass boats.

17 hours ago, rjbergen said:

The devices you pictured are a mix of EPIRBs, PLBs, and MOB beacons.

Yeah, they just happened to display them that way.

EPIRBs (third in from the left) are expensive, like $500+,

Forgot what I paid for my Globalfix PRO406MHz GPS EPIRB back in 2014 knowing we would be making a lot of offshoring trips and wanted to make sure my family and whomever was with me had the best chance of survival, so $ didn't really matter to me as much as survival chances and the quality and information (especially actual testimonials) of the unit itself, but it was a little less than that.  Now they're around $600 but I'd still pay that if it was going to save my family's and my life.  Had to struggle to find the perfect location to mount it on the boat, but I do believe I found a great spot for it, especially that the mounting fixture itself is considerably larger than the unit itself.  USCGAUX chief who gave me a slip inspection and my sticker said it was perfect.   That helped a lot.

They all float, have greater battery life (due to larger size), and many (all?) have strobes to help locate you at night.

Yeah, pretty sure they wouldn't work very well should they sink with the boat.  That's why the mounting location was very important (since it needs to dislodge once it gets engulfed in water) but it makes me feel very safe every time we're far enough were we can't see land anymore despite that not really making much of a difference since with the water temps up this way, your survival rate before hypothermia sets in is very short.  Seamanship course taught us that the average time in the water during NE boating season is approximately 5 minutes, if you're not used to swimming and don't go to the beach a lot etc. and you're body is not accustomed to cold water.

14 hours ago, Iggy said:

Well " I'm looking at all the new, compact ones they have and I can't believe how small they've become." Because only one of them is a EPRIB.

Oh you were thinking I was taking about all those units on the shelf?  No, I was referring to all that wooden paneling look how small they are, and those orange EPIRBS way back in the far right top corner never seen them that small before and especially that beautifully, shiny chrome EPIRB bar there either.  Some amazingly compacted stuff.

10 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Love all the save the animal people. Then keep quiet when the over population brings in people eating attackers.  Animals are FAR MORE important than people.  Ask them .

Oh I get tears in my eyes when I see an abused or suffering pooch than almost any human going through the same process.  Who's the first one to come greet you when you come home?  The wife? The kids? Or your dog, maybe the kids will accompany him?  My cat I swear was supposed to be a dog but somehow ended up looking like this and I just ordered him a life jacket to take him out.  Not sure how he'll react since he's super curious about everything including water puddles and actually looks forward for when I give him baths.  Loves truck rides like nothing else.  But a boat in the ocean might be a different experience for the little bugaboo.  Certainly won't venture far from the marina just incase and of course won't force him. The life jacket is returnable, so that's a good thing.

11 hours ago, Hatem said:

Forgot what I paid for my Globalfix PRO406MHz GPS EPIRB back in 2014 knowing we would be making a lot of offshoring trips and wanted to make sure my family and whomever was with me had the best chance of survival, so $ didn't really matter to me as much as survival chances and the quality and information (especially actual testimonials) of the unit itself, but it was a little less than that.  Now they're around $600 but I'd still pay that if it was going to save my family's and my life.  Had to struggle to find the perfect location to mount it on the boat, but I do believe I found a great spot for it, especially that the mounting fixture itself is considerably larger than the unit itself.  USCGAUX chief who gave me a slip inspection and my sticker said it was perfect.   That helped a lot.

Yeah, pretty sure they wouldn't work very well should they sink with the boat.  That's why the mounting location was very important (since it needs to dislodge once it gets engulfed in water)
[snip]

Is your GlobalFix Pro a CAT I in the white housing around the EPIRB?

Also, being you bought it in 2014, if you haven't already, you're due for a new battery. And if it's a CAT I self-releasing style, you need a new hydrostatic release unit as those are supposed to be replaced every 2 years once installed, or 4 years from date of manufacture on the hydrostatic release unit.

1 hour ago, rjbergen said:

Also, being you bought it in 2014, if you haven't already, you're due for a new battery. And if it's a CAT I self-releasing style, you need a new hydrostatic release unit as those are supposed to be replaced every 2 years once installed, or 4 years from date of manufacture on the hydrostatic release unit.

Oh, and don't forget you need to re-register every two years with NOAA.  Good call!!

4 hours ago, rjbergen said:

Yeah battery is due soon.  It was closer towards the end of 2014 getting ready for the 2015 season.  I think it's 5 or 6 years on that battery.  I'll check it, thanks. 

Back to topic.

uscg_required_flotation_f48551b2c65642ae