Hatem

Ever witness a boating accident?

11 hours ago, Denny said:

I am not a lover of snakes or spiders, I think it is like everything else, it is the fear of the unknown and under standing their purpose and what we need to know to be able to cohabitate with them. They actually are harmless to us, it is the unknown that makes us uncomfortable. I think that humans need to leave Mother Nature alone, she knows what she is doing, She has her way of doing things, and has been doing a fine job of it for a long time.  Denny.

I had a pet snake once.  That woman is a bad a$$.  I love it.

While I totally agree with your stand point, I will continue to act irrationally when confronted with a snake. Watching the video above, I just cringed when she uncovered that nest of snakes. haha. Call me a wimp, I don't care! haha

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:16 AM, Denny said:

Just another reason why I love my Great Lakes.:) 

I do love watching them on the large HD TV's though.  Denny

I hope the open invitation is still in effect because that's definitely on my list, to experience that beautiful fresh water of the great lakes.  Might be a shorter trip than to Florida.

It would also do quite the flushout on the 8.1 lol!

11 hours ago, SST said:

While I totally agree with your stand point, I will continue to act irrationally when confronted with a snake. Watching the video above, I just cringed when she uncovered that nest of snakes. haha. Call me a wimp, I don't care! haha

Kind of gave me the chills too!  Denny.

12 hours ago, Roady68 said:

I had a pet snake once.  That woman is a bad a$$.  I love it.

I'm sure she knows which ones she can hold like that, and which ones to leave alone.  Denny.

12 hours ago, Denny said:

Kind of gave me the chills too!  Denny.

Yeah but those are non-poisonous snakes, right?  They're not like the infamous cottonmouth or any of the vipers etc.  I don't know, snake, or whale? :D 

I wouldn't mind an encounter like this, just don't decide to jump over the boat!  And probably not a good idea to touch them, either, but I know it's hard to resist when they're this friendly.  And if mom suddenly gets angry, lookout! lol

Friendly young seal comes on board and hangs out close to the owner and even lets him pet him.

Yeah that guy allowed the seal pup to get on the boat which I think is ok.  It might've been lost and exhausted or in some cases like here in the Cape and other places, it's escaping a shark and looking for shelter.  But then it got onto the bench seat and started rubbing it's snout on the guy's legs etc.  He ended up knuckle-petting it's throat area a couple of times but that's risky as the thing -- despite the friendly behavior -- could've reacted differently and bit him pretty hard and caused all sorts of problems.  But it is tough to resist when you're confronted with such a friendly, wild animal. 

Those people with the whales were ridiculous.  Giving the pup whale a kiss on the snout is like WTF?! lol. 

And speaking of seals, some of the problems we've encountered here (and I think in many areas with large seal populations) is some of the fish species that fishermen are catching have worms in them.  These worms are because the fish are actually eating the seal's feces and one of the main species with that problem is haddock.  Some of the local fellas who go out during haddock season and catch them talk about finding worms in them when they're cleaning them out for cooking.  The seal population here might end up being some type of epidemic, not only because they're causing the increase in the great white shark population during the summer time, but for the diseases that they carry and it's effect on the surrounding environment.

And whales, these pics were taken by a local boater 2 summers ago just outside our harbor, maybe about 5 miles out.  This is what worries me is if we're floating around near a school of pogies like those in the pic and then suddenly these fellas decide to have dinner!  Their tales alone can cause serious damage.

BIwxxFG.jpg

Handling wild animals ?     

Glad people have so much medical knowledge of bacteria that a bite from any animal will cause .

Turn on your depth reader set the alarm to their  " Get ready to attack a school of bait fish depth. " A quick look at the screen will warn you by the massive echoes of the whales & baitfish ball.  Fellow boater taught me that one in whale feeding areas.

4 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Turn on your depth reader set the alarm to their  " Get ready to attack a school of bait fish depth. " A quick look at the screen will warn you by the massive echoes of the whales & baitfish ball.  Fellow boater taught me that one in whale feeding areas.

Their "Get ready to attack a school of bait fish depth" LOLOL!  What setting depth is that, Clopadopadus?  I like it, actually and it just reminded me that I need to finish hooking up my underwater camera!  Wondering what the depth of field it has and the clarity in our waters.  Watching is in nice, crystal clear waters on beautiful, Bahama mama coral reefs was outstanding, but that's a whole different ball of game than what we have up here.  Darker, Atlantic waters of the northeast will be limited greatly simply because it's just darker waters although on bright, sunny days, you can see 10 feet, maybe?  Maybe the new underwater drones lol.  If there was a way to hook up the GoPro to the TV and get real time video feed, that would be awesome.  Got a few items to take care of that are A LOT more important than the underwater camera like my new manifolds, risers/extension and elbows/risers.  My trim cylinders repair kit needs to be done when the outdrive comes off in the spring and I think I'm changing the bellows this year, even though they looked brand new last spring when I took off the outdrive.  They're the original ones and it's been 10 years, 5 of those in salt water and some, not much barnacles that have attached themselves to them so it is time for that.  So between the manifolds and risers and outdrive and cylinders, might not have time for anything else but we'll see how it goes.  At some point in early March, gonna do a serious investigation on whether it's feasible to install a bow thruster or not.  So add that to the menu while I'm running my business at the same time lmfao! :D   But yeah, you got me thinking.

Set it for any depth deeper than the whales & bait balls .  That group / pod of big whales will fill the screen . A black screen on the fish finder with pinging & a depth alarm sounding solidly . Means   W O T     & get out of the way of the rising whales . Have to be hand on the throttle & wheel .at all times. 

If I wanted to move in close to the whales feeding ? I would buy a 360 degree full scanning fishfinder . That would show you their bearing & speed of coming up  from depth.