whitlatch

removing windshield for garage storage

I have a 1998 Chaparral 1830 SS Limited Edition.  It has always been stored indoors in a warehouse.  We are going to be moving it to Minnesota and want to store it in a standard two car garage with a standard two car garage door.  It is on a single axle Heritage trailer.  My biggest concern is whether it will be able to fit through the door because of the height of the windshield with the boat on the trailer.  My question is how hard is it to lower or remove the windshield?  Are there any do or dont's?  Any tips or tricks for garage storage of this type and size boat.  Thank you.

Sounds like a lot of work.. Can you lower the trailer tongue low enough to make it fit? 

Not sure yet. I will not be there for a couple of weeks. Has anyone tried an 1830 in a standard two car garage. I will hopefully be able to get in with the lowered tongue. Thank you. 

Standard garage door height is 7 feet.  Many garages are built taller.  Grab a tape measure and measure from the ground to the highest part on the boat (while on the trailer).  Then do the same for the garage opening.  If the boat measures less, it will fit.  I've never heard of anyone having to remove the windshield.  Something else to check is overall length.  Many smaller trailers have a swing-out/folding tongue.  This typically allows a 2 to 3 foot (length) reduction depending on brand of trailer, and if so equipped.  Bottom-line, check both and you'll know.

Smaller trailer tires.  BUT they MUST be RATED for the weight of the loaded trailer. Also your peak speeds on a interstate highway.  You can use steel belted auto car tires & wheels. Just DERATE THE WEIGHT THEY CAN CARRY BY 15 %. 

If you are still a tiny bit too tall ?  Reduce the tire pressure to about 18 pounds on all tires. BEFORE BACKING IN.  :o

Must refill the tires AFTER it is out of the garage.   I forgot to refill until about 1/2 hour later. The tires were very warm. But not painful. You can mistreat car tires terribly compared to real trailer tires.  People do it all the time to car tires.

You will need a newer sparetire & wheel as a spare for the trailer.  I changed the trailer hubs to the same bolt & size pattern as my old Accord wheels. what the heck. 2 spares tires on 2 vehicles.

Some garage doors track work CAN BE MOVED UP a couple of inches. Then readjust the counter balance springs.  Check out both ways on price

If the track is what's causing the interference, the door won't open unless the track's on the outside.  Never seen an installation like that.  Let's try to stay on point - measure first before panic, and be logical.  Granted, as a very last resort, he can always remove the top half of the boat from the bottom and solve two problems - (1) that nasty leak created by all those greedy people that worm their way into new companies and cause quality standards to take a big dive, and (2) the dealer network and mechanics that are out to screw you. 

He may not have found the meds, but he knows who stopped taking them.

I didn't have to read the others comments, Dumb question to ask..........

When I garaged my old boat, is used to back it in till to top of the windshield was as far in as I could get it while hooked to the tow vehicle. I would then disconnect it, lower the jack all the way down, then push it in the rest of the way by hand. Shouldn't be to hard to do with an 1830. 

15 hours ago, Toddler said:

I didn't have to read the others comments, Dumb question to ask..........

Thanks for your help. 

Everybody's a bit touchy the last couple of weeks, I thought it was boating season.  Would we have felt better if the OP had asked," Does anyone know the max height of an 1830 while on the trailer?"  The warmth and support of this group lately, has been as good as Vortex QC(Quality Control).

Thank you all for your input. I did not ask my question very artfully. I appreciate your ideas.

My plan is and always has been to try to get it into the garage without modification of anything. I agree that I can try some tricks like lowering the air pressure, lowering the tongue etc.   I have measured (last year) the boat and trailer and the garage, but I have not tried the actual move into the garage as the boat  is 700 miles away.   I can tell that the clearance is going to be close even with the suggested  adjustments and the terrain outside the garage etc will make it tricky and not possible to know until I try.

My question about possible removal of the windshield is in case despite all efforts to use the suggestions, the only way to get it in is to lower the windshield. I was asking for any experience that any one has had, if any, with that process. If it is too difficult I might rethink taking my boat up and sell it here and then possibly buy a boat in the future that I know will fit without any significant modification.

Again, thanks to those of you that have given suggestions. I had thought of most of them, but you confirmed that they are an option. If anyone has had experience with the windshield, let me know so I can consider that as welll. 

In any event, happy boating to all. 

For further clarification, I would only move it in and out of the garage twice a year. Once in the spring for summer use and once in the fall for winter storage. 

I had a 20' Larson previous to the Chap, juuuuust fit into a standard height garage, while still hooked up to the truck (only about 1" to spare").

Trailers are different, hitch heights are different, you need to measure your boat and trailer while connected to tow vehicle and also measure garage to see if it fits. I was able to have my garage opening made higher for my boat to fit in, depends on how your opening is built.

I had a '98 1830 on a heritage trailer.  It fit with a couple of inches to spare through a std. 7' door, hooked up to my truck.  You should be fine under normal circumstances, but any of the above will give a few more inches.  I had a separate draw bar with a big drop I used to put mine in it's winter storage location.

To me. Chaps have very DEEP HULLS under the windshield. They also have high windshields. The 2002 186 SSI just clears the lower single bay garage door frame.

9 hours ago, SG Boater said:

I had a separate draw bar with a big drop I used to put mine in it's winter storage location.

This was my thinking . . .