We purchased a 2015 Chaparral 223 Vortex new from the dealer and have had minor issues with it since our purchase.  It all started with the shifter being difficult to return to neutral.  3 years later we finally got Chaparral to warranty the part that was supposedly causing the problem.  We get the boat home, put it in the water. and not only do we still have the same issue, but now, our boat is showing 7 different errors and our depth finder is non-operational.  Check Engine (STBD), Check Engine (PORT), Low Battery Voltage, P0300 (STBD), P0302 (STBD), P0303 (STBD) and P0562 (PORT).  Can anyone help with these codes and does anyone know if they are caused by a bad battery?  Thanks

The low battery voltage can cause a variety of other errors to pop up.  I know on my car a low battery causes many others to pop up, which clear after battery is fixed.    Check the battery and either charge or replace and see what errors remain.

Thank you. I am replacing the starting battery today. My dealer is no help answering any of my questions. They put the same regular battery on both starboard and port side. Does anyone know if one of the batteries should be a deep cycle battery? 

I have a 244 Sunesta, and it has the same standard marine battery 1000 cca as each of the two batteries.  They were just replaced by the dealer at the beginning of the season and that is what they installed.  

Not real familiar with the vortex but what do the batteries do? If they start an engine you do not want deep cycle. If they power house items you do want  deep cycle. 

I replaced the battery today.  My low voltage codes (562) went away but unfortunately, the other codes did not.  After much searching on the internet I have found that the 300, 302 and 303 codes are cylinder misfires. 

Sounds like the dealer is the problem.  Change him. How could he release the boat with all those new codes ?

13 hours ago, jsphillips29 said:

I replaced the battery today.  My low voltage codes (562) went away but unfortunately, the other codes did not.  After much searching on the internet I have found that the 300, 302 and 303 codes are cylinder misfires. 

It sounds to me like you really need to step up your "communications" methods with your dealer.

Seems like you have several issues, one of them being that battery was bad and that's taken care of but now there's something else with either the engine or something else and your dealer is blowing you off probably because it's been 3 years.  Did you buy the 5-year warranty?  If you did, I would push the dealer a bit harder to resolve the problems but if not, take it to another dealer and have them diagnose it properly and pay for the repairs.  I don't think you really have any other options other than those two at this point.  Unless you can figure it out an fix it yourself but this seems to be a difficult one.  Good luck.

There are only 2 Chaparral Dealers in my “area”.  The nearest dealer is 1-1/2 hours away. The other dealer is 2 hours away. We purchased and previously took our boat for maintenance and service to the closer dealer. Each time we got our boat back the problem we took it in for was fixed but the boat then immediately had a different problem. We decided for this last issue we would try the dealer a little further away and yet we get the same result. Issue addressed but new problem. The dealer assured us that he tested the boat in the test tank. If so, how could he have missed the error codes. Even if he did miss the codes, the engine runs so roughly you can’t ignore it. Or, maybe you can. Chaparral has also balked on warranting some of the work. So I came out of my pocket for things that I believed I should not have just to get my boat back. We love our boat but are at the point that we will get rid of this Chaparral as soon as we get it running correctly and WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER! 

A lot of misfire fault codes are caused by worn spark plugs.  Have they been replaced since you got the boat?  They should be checked or changed every session.

Cleaver - thanks for the information. The spark plugs have not been checked or changed this season. I did have the plugs changed either last year or 2 years ago. i didn’t realize plugs fouled so easily and often.  I am going to have the plugs checked tomorrow. I hope everyone had a safe and happy 4th of July! 

I think the 2 dealers are connected. Constant bleeding a customer with " come back problems. "   Runs rough ? Misfire codes ?  They pull the high voltage cable loose. Then push it back on when you bring it in.

Oldest  game in servicing equipment.

No way. You have a very depressing view of people and the world.

23 hours ago, jsphillips29 said:

There are only 2 Chaparral Dealers in my “area”.  The nearest dealer is 1-1/2 hours away. The other dealer is 2 hours away. We purchased and previously took our boat for maintenance and service to the closer dealer. Each time we got our boat back the problem we took it in for was fixed but the boat then immediately had a different problem. We decided for this last issue we would try the dealer a little further away and yet we get the same result. Issue addressed but new problem. The dealer assured us that he tested the boat in the test tank. If so, how could he have missed the error codes. Even if he did miss the codes, the engine runs so roughly you can’t ignore it. Or, maybe you can. Chaparral has also balked on warranting some of the work. So I came out of my pocket for things that I believed I should not have just to get my boat back. We love our boat but are at the point that we will get rid of this Chaparral as soon as we get it running correctly and WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER! 

I hear ya.  It's a tough and very frustrating position to be in.  As long as you know that anything can be fixed and you will fix it eventually so the only thing left is to chalk it up as a learning experience.  Keep us posted.

I changed the plugs on both port and starboard side engines. Started the boat and seems to now be running fine. No audible miss but codes not cleared. I only ran the engine for a few seconds so I am going to take it out on the water for a longer test run later today.  Hopefully the codes will clear after a longer run on the engines. 

Great job.  Fingers crossed.  Something to look at, is the condition of the plugs that were removed.  They are the "on the front line" and have a story to tell - both good and bad.  I try to keep them in order so if something looks different, the cylinder (and in your case) engine is known. 

Most good sparkplug companies have a bunch of pictures describing why a plug looks odd or different than a good one does. Worth looking up & printing out.

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:26 AM, Curt said:

No way. You have a very depressing view of people and the world.

Cy has been cynical about dealers and big bad corporations for a while, but it has become more pronounced of late.

I would like to report that I changed all 6 spark plugs. The boat is now running fine with all codes cleared. I am still VERY disappointed that the dealer allowed the boat to leave with the engine running rough. I guess I should actually be thankful. No telling what they would have charged to “diagnose” the problem and change the plugs. Thanks for everyone’s input. New issue: my depth finder is non-operational. I’ve heard it is just oil in a cup of some sort. Does anyone know where to find this cup? 

7 hours ago, JPFunk said:

Cy has been cynical about dealers and big bad corporations for a while, but it has become more pronounced of late.

He's been a grumpy old man for a while... Ignore him and his inability to take his meds.