Sign in to follow this  
tdago

Inverter

Hi there.  I am a bit out of my element here asking technical questions, but I am going to give it a shot.  My boyfriend and I bought a 2004 Chap 240 Signature last year.  It had an 1100w inverter.  For whatever reason aside from using it to having the fridge on while out on the lake and using to plug in an inflator, we didn't use it much.  By the end of the summer it died.  We weren't able to keep the fridge running while not on shore power of course.  We bought a new inverter this year.  He installed it.  unplugged shore power and tried it while still in our slip.  The fridge and Microwave turned on.  We figured we were set.  For whatever reason while on the lake over this past weekend we weren't able to get it to turn on the fridge.  I feel like we are missing something.  It does work.  It turns on.  We are able to plug things into it, but can't get the right switches turned on to get it to run the fridge/micro.  What are we doing wrong?  What exactly do we have to have on/off when running it while off shore?

TIA 

Tina

2 hours ago, tdago said:

Hi there.  I am a bit out of my element here asking technical questions, but I am going to give it a shot.  My boyfriend and I bought a 2004 Chap 240 Signature last year.  It had an 1100w inverter.  For whatever reason aside from using it to having the fridge on while out on the lake and using to plug in an inflator, we didn't use it much.  By the end of the summer it died.  We weren't able to keep the fridge running while not on shore power of course.  We bought a new inverter this year.  He installed it.  unplugged shore power and tried it while still in our slip.  The fridge and Microwave turned on.  We figured we were set.  For whatever reason while on the lake over this past weekend we weren't able to get it to turn on the fridge.  I feel like we are missing something.  It does work.  It turns on.  We are able to plug things into it, but can't get the right switches turned on to get it to run the fridge/micro.  What are we doing wrong?  What exactly do we have to have on/off when running it while off shore?

TIA 

Tina

Does the micro and fridge still work on shore power? Perhaps the new inverter is fine and you have tripped a ground fault receptacle that feeds the 115 VAC appliances. Otherwise, failed breaker or wiring failure.  As available voltage goes down, amperage demand goes up in an attempt to do the same amount of work with less available voltage. This is a common issue when utilizing battery power. When amperage demand goes up, so does resistance heating and wires can fail and breakers can trip. You start by looking at the connection points where wires are landed under a screw on a breaker or an outlet. Discoloration is a good indicator of a loose connection. Take a volt meter and start at the inverter going forward looking for a voltage drop.  W

Yes, they both work on shore power.  And I found it strange that as soon as the inverter was installed, we tested the fridge and microwave and both worked when we flipped the inverter switch on.  

3 hours ago, tdago said:

Yes, they both work on shore power.  And I found it strange that as soon as the inverter was installed, we tested the fridge and microwave and both worked when we flipped the inverter switch on.  

Make sure you have both 12 vdc and good ground feeding your inverter, then check the output side for 115 vac.   Sure sounds like the thing shoud be working but it would seem that you may have a failed inverter.  W