I have a 2003 chaparral signature, I bought in April, it has run great and haven't had any problems until yesterday. I was moored on the beach and when it was time to leave my boat would start then immediately die It did this about 10 times, then we pushed the throttle down and got it to start. was able to get back to my dock, shut is down and it started back up. let it sit without shore power for about an hour tried  starting it and  it immediately died. Hooked it up to shore power left it over night, went to start it up and it started right up with no problems. I am afraid to take it out on lake Michigan if I can't trust it.  I thinking it could be a fuel issue as I hear my fuel pump run constantly when I turn on my batteries ( is this normal)  , or a battery issue. ( am I supposed to switch from shore to AC main when I am out on the water?) Any help would be appreciated. 

it would help all if we new motor EFI or Carb,  A couple of easy checks Fuel water separator should be replaced every season,   EFI pumps run a few seconds before the motor turns over to prime not all the time. Yes out on the water I assume your switch should be in boat batteries

Thanks, The motor is an Mercruiser 350 MPI Bravo III.  Any idea what would make the pump keep running? 

Maybe you have a bad IAC valve.

IAC Valve was my first thought too.

Easy to DIY.  Less than 150 deer.

Google for removal, checkout, and replacement.

I was thinking that it could be as jdsdls05 mentioned the water separator, the fuel filter, or the IAC, the fact that it started without problems today really confuses me. The wife is sure it is the charge on the battery, but it turns over, I assume like a car if the battery is dead this wouldn't even turn over.   

1 minute ago, gr8lakes said:

IAC Valve was my first thought too.

Easy to DIY.  Less than 150 deer.

Google for removal, checkout, and replacement.

I checked Youtube for some videos, looks like a job I can do.  

23 minutes ago, Jomace said:

I checked Youtube for some videos, looks like a job I can do.  

How many hours on the motor?  IAC usually go out around 300 hours.

26 minutes ago, Jomace said:

I was thinking that it could be as jdsdls05 mentioned the water separator, the fuel filter, or the IAC, the fact that it started without problems today really confuses me. The wife is sure it is the charge on the battery, but it turns over, I assume like a car if the battery is dead this wouldn't even turn over.   

Well, if it started today, then maybe not the IAC valve.

50 minutes ago, TexasPilot71 said:

How many hours on the motor?  IAC usually go out around 300 hours.

254 hours 

1 hour ago, Jomace said:

Thanks, The motor is an Mercruiser 350 MPI Bravo III.  Any idea what would make the pump keep running? 

The pump should not run constantly. Remove the top plastic engine cover and you will see a bank of relays. One is marked fuel pump. It is stuck in the on position. Replace it. Also, sounds like your idle issue may be a failed IAC valve as others have said. Get the relay fixed first.  W

6 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

The pump should not run constantly. Remove the top plastic engine cover and you will see a bank of relays. One is marked fuel pump. It is stuck in the on position. Replace it. Also, sounds like your idle issue may be a failed IAC valve as others have said. Get the relay fixed first.  W

Thanks I will check that out. 

I am suspect of any 15 year old boat. I noticed it liked the overnight recharge a lot.  After a day of cranking a lot.  I would do another recharge wait 2 days. Then have it load tested by a testing machine that prints out the voltage & current with a paper graph. The graph will show shorts occurring during a load being applied. Find the stuck relay

The 10 times of start & die times. Followed by holding the throttle wide open. Sounds like a flooding idle condition. Wisely you went to full throttle to try something different. It acted like a flooded engine & ran.  I think the engine needs a mechanic like Wingnut to go thru it & write up a list.

It restarted normally after the longer run home.  Battery partially recharged.

If the pump runs constantly ?  It may over heat the gasoline in a hot engine room. Like the immediate restart. But then the hard start after a hour. Hopefully the stuck pump relay cures several problems.

I had a buddy who is a mechanic come out, we messed with relays and the pumps started acting normally. I ordered 2 new relays and will replace them later today. Hopefully this solves it. 

2 minutes ago, Jomace said:

I had a buddy who is a mechanic come out, we messed with relays and the pumps started acting normally. I ordered 2 new relays and will replace them later today. Hopefully this solves it. 

That should solve the constant fuel pump run issue, but my thought is you still have another issue. Good luck and please let us know.  W

If/ When I need to change out the IAC, is there exact match can get at an Auto parts store?  I know it will take days for the marina to get it and I assume the cost will be much more. 

Mercruiser 350 MPI Bravo III

27 minutes ago, Jomace said:

If/ When I need to change out the IAC, is there exact match can get at an Auto parts store?  I know it will take days for the marina to get it and I assume the cost will be much more. 

Mercruiser 350 MPI Bravo III

2002 Ford Windstar 3.8L has the same IAC, got mine at Napa, only difference is it will be missing a coat of black paint.

I went to the chaparral dealer yesterday and they told they could charge me $150.00 or I could go to Autozone and pay $40.00 of the IAC 

59 minutes ago, Jomace said:

I went to the chaparral dealer yesterday and they told they could charge me $150.00 or I could go to Autozone and pay $40.00 of the IAC 

True, just make sure it's a name brand like Motorcraft or Delphi as I have had bad luck with the knock off's.  W

For my 5.0, advance auto parts had a nonbrand name part, Duralast or some such, with "lifetime warranty", offered, 50 deer or so.

I would rather have had Merc or Motorcraft, but AAA is open on holidays.  I dont want to be on the water with family and friends when the offbrand part fails.