Sign in to follow this  
M J

Battery's

I have a 2004 265 ssi  and have a few questions about battery switch positions. I have a 2 battery set up. While in position 1 is battery 2 being charged by the alternator, and when charging on shore power what position should the switch be in.

If you have a on board dual bank charger, the charger will charge both batteries at the same time.  

And yes both batteries are being charged while the engine is running no matter what position the battery switch is on. 

My set up is like this:

#1 Starting Battery 

#2 House battery

Switch position 1 - both batteries are charging when engine is running. 

Switch position 2 - only battery #2 is charging when the engine is running. 

When plugged to shore power both batteries are charging. 

When I leave the boat the battery switch is turned Off and the shore power continues to charge both batteries. 

34 minutes ago, Phillbo said:

My set up is like this:

#1 Starting Battery 

#2 House battery

When plugged to shore power both batteries are charging. 

When I leave the boat the battery switch is turned Off and the shore power continues to charge both batteries. 

Just trying to understand. So your batteries are combined on Position 1? On "Both" too?

4 hours ago, M J said:

I have a 2004 265 ssi  and have a few questions about battery switch positions. I have a 2 battery set up. While in position 1 is battery 2 being charged by the alternator, and when charging on shore power what position should the switch be in.

Without knowing exactly the setup and not assuming what you have. If you have a traditional 1/2/BOTH/OFF switch, then the alternator will charge into which ever bank you have the switch turned to. So to answer your question, no, bank-2 would not be charged when the switch is on bank-1. 

However, some have included an auto combining relay or similar, to the setup, which can allow both banks to receive a charge from the alternator, regardless of the switch being on #1 or #2. 

With a dual bank charger, I prefer to have the switch off. Lets the charger tend to each bank independently. 

Not good to recharge a fully recharged battery at the same time as a battery at 80% & needing charging. A charger that charges the weakest to FULL. Then switches to the fully charged battery is best. Neither battery is getting cooked to death

A easy starting engine needs no charging even after 10 start ups. The music battery always needs something.

My 5.0L carbed  engines crank for a 1/2 second after warmup.

On my Sunesta, switch to #1 charges battery 1 and switch to #2 charges battery 2.  I'm not sure about the both position.

The boat originally had one battery and I had a 2nd added.  The marina advised that stock one-battery setups did not come with an isolator, hence the individual charging.  Not a big deal, as I start on one battery one day and the other the next, using the non-starting battery for the day as the house.

20 hours ago, Phillbo said:

My set up is like this:

#1 Starting Battery 

#2 House battery

Gotta admit this is a bit confusing.  So when you say: "Switch position 2 - only battery #2 (which is your house battery) is charging when the engine is running" does that mean your starting battery becomes isolated?  Even if the starting battery is still switched on?  That's a bit strange TBH.  Don't you need them both to be charging at all times that the engine is running?  Why would the starting battery stop charging once you have the house battery switch on and engine is running?

My setup is somewhat similar to yours but I think I understand it a bit differently.  Pls correct me if you think I'm wrong. 

Switch #1 Engine Battery

Switch #2 The 2 House Batteries

Switch #3 Parallel switch (combines all three batteries to work together in case power is short on the starting battery). 

But from what I understand how the batteries work on mine, I turn Engine Battery switch on, then turn House Batteries switch on, crank engine, drive off and all batteries are charging.  I don't turn off either of the switches until I anchor or dock and just need the house batteries for the radio, fridge etc.  Keep house battery switch on as long as I need then when ready to go again, turn engine battery switch on, crank engine and take off.  If for some reason the starting battery isn't cranking the engine, I turn the parallel switch on to combine all batteries and borrow extra power from the house batteries to crank the engine. Luckily haven't needed to do that yet.

Top right red switch is Engine.  Bottom left is House and bottom right is Parallel.

2008-chaparral-276-ssx-8.jpg

On 7/3/2018 at 10:53 AM, Jjlai724 said:

If you have a on board dual bank charger, the charger will charge both batteries at the same time.  

And yes both batteries are being charged while the engine is running no matter what position the battery switch is on. 

"And yes both batteries are being charged while the engine is running no matter what position the battery switch is on". 

Never have I seen a factory installed dual battery set up wired that way. Typically the install includes a VSR/isolator and switch position one utilizes battery 1 and charges both. Position 2 utilizes and charges battery two only. I don't know why they do it that way but that's the way they are wired. Of course dealer installed dockside charges can be wired anyway the wind blows so on those boats its anyone's guess.  The larger Chaps like Hatem's example have 3 switches and are a different animal, but on the OP's 265 I'm pretty sure he would want to start on one, and switch over to two while at anchor. W

22 hours ago, OCMD2 said:

On my Sunesta, switch to #1 charges battery 1 and switch to #2 charges battery 2.  I'm not sure about the both position.

The boat originally had one battery and I had a 2nd added.  The marina advised that stock one-battery setups did not come with an isolator, hence the individual charging.  Not a big deal, as I start on one battery one day and the other the next, using the non-starting battery for the day as the house.

Both position charges both batteries, but that position is reserved for true emergencies where for whatever reason you find yourself with two weak batteries, and perhaps by bridging them together for a few seconds might get you home. The whole reason to isolate is to keep a good battery from bleeding into a bad one.  W

2 hours ago, Wingnut said:

Both position charges both batteries, but that position is reserved for true emergencies where for whatever reason you find yourself with two weak batteries, and perhaps by bridging them together for a few seconds might get you home. The whole reason to isolate is to keep a good battery from bleeding into a bad one.  W

I figured that was the case but I just didn't check that position when I tested.  I had previously believed that either 1 or 2 would charge both, but decided to test when I had a low voltage issue at the beginning of the season.  But now I know!!

2 hours ago, Wingnut said:

"And yes both batteries are being charged while the engine is running no matter what position the battery switch is on". 

Never have I seen a factory installed dual battery set up wired that way. Typically the install includes a VSR/isolator and switch position one utilizes battery 1 and charges both. Position 2 utilizes and charges battery two only.

Thats how mine is set up. I start and cruise on position 1 and switch to position 2 when on the hook. Next morning back to position 1 to start and cruise again. This way both batts stay fresh. 

52 minutes ago, Phillbo said:

Thats how mine is set up. I start and cruise on position 1 and switch to position 2 when on the hook. Next morning back to position 1 to start and cruise again. This way both batts stay fresh. 

So you're talking about only 1 switch with several positions for the different batteries?  Not separate switches for separate batteries? 

41 minutes ago, Hatem said:

So you're talking about only 1 switch with several positions for the different batteries?  Not separate switches for separate batteries? 

Correct. Chaps need to get a bit bigger before they get as complicated as yours. 28' on down, one switch is pretty much standard. You big boat guys always cloud the little boat guy issues. Ha.   Next Vacu Flush discussion will start in ten seconds. My tank vents overboard, and it stinks, but I don't have to hold open the flush valve when I'm pumping out. Relax, and go change you duck bill valves, as us little guys don't have them nor do we want them.   W

4 hours ago, Phillbo said:

Yes, mine too if I am understanding it right. But every setup is different. In MJ's case. I would trace all the wiring to get a clear picture of the setup. In Hatems case or mine, we have a VSR/combiner that can charge the other batters up even if the battery switch is set to off. The combiner or VSR will close connecting the two POS wires causing both (or in my case 3 banks off) batteries  to charge.

This is not an uncommon setup, but a very piratical one.   

21 hours ago, Wingnut said:

Correct. Chaps need to get a bit bigger before they get as complicated as yours

Thank you!  Amazing how you answered the question with just one word!  Funny not a peep from Philbo who was asked 4 questions by 3 different members including myself about his system's layout in his post.

You big boat guys always cloud the little boat guy issues. Ha.

Haha.  Honestly, I never realized that they switched them differently like that.  That's why I was confused.  Good to know now.

The 276 is considered a big boat?  It's only 28' - 10 3/4".  I measured mine with laser levels at the tip of the bow to the furthest point on the swim platform, marked the level points on the ground on blue tape, then measured those points with a laser measurer.  Can't get an accurate measurement using a tape measure because of the curves and obstacles in the way.  It's only 2 feet longer than yours, no?  I never really considered it "big boat" territory TBH ma man.   

Next Vacu Flush discussion will start in ten seconds. My tank vents overboard, and it stinks, but I don't have to hold open the flush valve when I'm pumping out. Relax, and go change you duck bill valves, as us little guys don't have them nor do we want them.   W

I think someone already posted that same exact thing a couple of weeks ago!

19 hours ago, Iggy said:

In Hatems case or mine, we have a VSR/combiner that can charge the other batters up even if the battery switch is set to off. The combiner or VSR will close connecting the two POS wires causing both (or in my case 3 banks off) batteries  to charge.

This was sent to me by Joe @ Cecile Marine.  Apparently this is the diagram of the way the switches are connected on the back.  

untitled_zpsuz4bk352.png 

From the diag. above. If the House is on or off, the house battery will charge up.