Sign in to follow this  
brirei

05 285 SSI - Two beep warning - need new fuel module?!

Port engine had to be pulled to replace a bad coupler, about 30 minutes in to the first cruise I started getting a two beep warning.  I'm also getting a beep when turning ignition switch to 'start' (in addition to the normal beep when turning to 'on').

The shop that did the engine coupler sent out a mechanic to check things out at my dock, diagnostics said something fuel related (I forget the actual code he was seeing).

SO, they tell that the warning is not related to the engine work and that the entire fuel module needs to be replaced.  Hoping to get a sanity check here I guess.  I haven't had a chance to look at it myself but this sure seems like quite a coincidence.  My first thought is that there could be a bad/loose connection at one of the harnesses.  Anything else I should check?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Update:  No warning beeps on two trips, then started again while I was running at around 3000 rpm.  Stopped at an island and tied up for a few hours, then no start when attempting to leave.  The middle fuse on the block just next to the fuel pump relay was blown, put in new fuse and the pump primed as normal.  Started, then stopped and tried again.  Middle fuse blew again.

I checked for worn wire insulation around the alternator as I've heard that can be an issue, everything looks good.

Seems like it could indeed be bad fuel pump.  Do I just go ahead and replace the entire module or is it worth putzing around with the high / low pumps to determine the culprit?

9 minutes ago, brirei said:

Update:  No warning beeps on two trips, then started again while I was running at around 3000 rpm.  Stopped at an island and tied up for a few hours, then no start when attempting to leave.  The middle fuse on the block just next to the fuel pump relay was blown, put in new fuse and the pump primed as normal.  Started, then stopped and tried again.  Middle fuse blew again.

I checked for worn wire insulation around the alternator as I've heard that can be an issue, everything looks good.

Seems like it could indeed be bad fuel pump.  Do I just go ahead and replace the entire module or is it worth putzing around with the high / low pumps to determine the culprit?

As it would seem that one or the other pump is presently shorted to ground, I would throw an ohm meter on each pumps power lead and see which one is holding you out. Also, while you are in the module, look for debris in the module sump base screen after you remove the fuel filter. The Pump body also has a screen sock on it. Debris is usually the culprit when a pump fails.  W

Thanks W!  Just talked to the service guy again and he's telling me that there's an updated version of the module for my serial numbers, 8M0047215 which will require replacing the hose assembly as well, 22-865208T02.  Does that sound right?  If I end up replacing the entire module myself, is there anything else I should order?

15 hours ago, brirei said:

Thanks W!  Just talked to the service guy again and he's telling me that there's an updated version of the module for my serial numbers, 8M0047215 which will require replacing the hose assembly as well, 22-865208T02.  Does that sound right?  If I end up replacing the entire module myself, is there anything else I should order?

Expensive, but more comprehensive approach. You should have everything you need, but be sure to remove the filter cover and fill the new module to the brim with fresh gasoline before you start the pumps. These rotary vane pumps do not like to be run dry.  W