Sign in to follow this  
Arynden

SeaDek Info for Owners of 2014 Chap 21 H2O Sport

Hello all,

I've been a long time visitor to this site and others since I became a boating newbie back in 2014, and even back in 2013 when I first started researching boats prior to purchase. However, now I need advice from an owner with the same model boat as mine who hopefully has gotten a SeaDek or other non-standard mat for their swim platforms.

I bought the 2014 21 H2O Sport model when it came out and got the optional swim platform mat. This went to Heck pretty quickly and I made the costly mistake of buying the only mats available from Chaparral, despite being warned they could only send a mat for the new models they have. I foolishly thought this couldn't be too different and I would just adjust/trim the mat for my boat. The dimensions are just too far off. So that was $300+ down the drain. I've scoured the Internet, Chaparral, and even tried to measure the angles of the mat on my boat, but there is just too much curvature.

I'm begging ANYONE with a 2014 21 H2O model who has gotten a non-OEM mat to give me the specs or dimensions I need so I can order a custom model, especially if you ordered from SeaDek. I know I should drive to a certified fabricator and installer but the only one is many hours away, and my trailer is no longer highway worthy (I'll get it fixed eventually, but am not in a rush since it sits at the marina 24/7).

TL,DR: My mat is crap, need to know dimensions for 2014 model mat so I can order a custom one.

You may need to order the template kit from Seadek and trace your own if Seadek does not already have your boat on file. It`s not hard to do on the dry but as you are still in the water, it could be a little more challenging.

Okay thanks, I got a message telling me about a tracery sheet I could order from them, too. For some reason I didn't come across mention of that when I had looked at SeaDek's site (just their existing templates). I think that may be the only reasonable option for me.

I traced and installed mine, which means it's easy to do.  In my case, I essentially used the edge of the non-slip crosshatching as my border.  I did request they add 1/4" to length and width to allow for shrinkage, but I don't believe I've had any.  And boy, am I happy with the stuff!  Absolutely love it; safe, comfortable and attractive.

5afb8b7f8360e_phonepics1420.jpg.c280f93f16b8c88dcded5abbb0f649d8.jpg

11 hours ago, Futzin' said:

I traced and installed mine, which means it's easy to do.  In my case, I essentially used the edge of the non-slip crosshatching as my border.  I did request they add 1/4" to length and width to allow for shrinkage, but I don't believe I've had any.  And boy, am I happy with the stuff!  Absolutely love it; safe, comfortable and attractive.

5afb8b7f8360e_phonepics1420.jpg.c280f93f16b8c88dcded5abbb0f649d8.jpg

Looks good!  Gonna be time for me soon to consider whether this or the new type of carpet since we like the carpet a lot, but it is starting to look a bit raggy and shaggy and dirty, especially the one section that gets the most traffic from the swim platform to the cockpit area.  That one is taking a beating and a half.  But I do like the new carpet stuff, too.  Seems more durable and better looking than the older, standard shhtuuff I have.

I've done the SeaDek template four times, and have an order in manufacturing now.  Their customer service is really good. 

A few tips I've used since my first attempt.  Order several extra pieces of the clear template, not just one.  Complete one on the boat, then re-trace it up in house on the dinning room table/center island/floor.  Tape it down in multiple places so it doesn't move and the wind doesn't grab it.  Take your time and draw with a smooth, "soft" hand.  When SeaDek digitizes, everything transfers.  So, if you make a sharp corner and you intended a nice rounded one, you'll get a sharp corner.  The exact lines you trace transfer, mistakes and all.  They absolutely don't guess, and don't expect them to - all boats have slight differences, even the same model, and all owners are generally looking for something unique to their taste.  I always pay a few extra bucks for the "dry-fit" option, and associated shipping.  Takes extra time, but money well spent in my opinion because it avoids the "it doesn't fit" or "doesn't fit as I expected" syndrome. 

I too follow the anti-skid pattern.  I've never allowed for shrinkage, and haven't had any.  But, I've always used light colors, none of our boats have ever sat in direct sunlight (let alone southeastern, southern or southwest sunlight which is much more direct than up north), and all polymers shrink given enough time.  Allowing for shrinkage is a great idea.  A quarter-inch is more than sufficient, an eighth is probably all that's needed.     

Follow their directions and check-list explicitly when submitting the template.  Provide all required information or your order will be delayed and timeline extended.  Watch their video - it answers a lot of questions. 

When it comes to installation.  Don't rush it.  Clean the area with MEK, let it dry and then go slow.  Work on an angle so air doesn't become trapped.  These materials with pressure sensitive adhesives, once down, are hard/near impossible to reposition without causing other issues.  Generally, this is a get it right the first time kind of installation, especially on the large pieces.  It's not hard if you prepare, have a plan, follow the plan, stay calm and don't become distracted.  The results are wonderful.  Really makes your boat standout.  Really provides great functionality.

Hatem.  Great installation.

Great post, Curt!  Awesome information and really well said.  Thanks for that effort.

I'm dying to see a pic of your 307 SSX with dual VPs and EVC joystick!!!  Wow, that combination is like there isn't anything better! 

Please post one, or as many as you would like!  I'll use the excuse that I need to see the SeaDek LOL.

Hatem - I'll post a few pics tomorrow.  It's really a fantastic model.  Very stable, very powerful and maneuverable.  Yes, there's been a few things to fix here and there that should have been contained in the factory.  But, it's a boat and shakedown squawks are normal.  With about forty hours of effort and counting, it's getting close to perfect.  Nothing major, mostly dumb fit and finish type issues.  For example, the mirror in the head fell off and broke.  The mirror is attached with plugs, and double face tape.  Well, double face tape doesn't work if you don't pull the face off.  Like everything, the fist 90% is easier than the final 10%.  But, you and I the consumer expect that last 10%.

I don't have SeaDek on this one yet, completed the templates a few weeks ago.  Have real teak.  Looks great albeit a bit slippery when wet.  However, when in any direct sun and dry, it's hotter than h-e-double hockey sticks.  The 307 SSX swim platform sits a bit high, and doesn't get much splash when floating or running.  Not sure how to remove it yet, but assume it's applied with a pressure sensitive adhesive and that it will take a good bit of time.

30 minutes ago, Curt said:

Hatem - I'll post a few pics tomorrow.  It's really a fantastic model.  Very stable, very powerful and maneuverable.  Yes, there's been a few things to fix here and there that should have been contained in the factory.  But, it's a boat and shakedown squawks are normal.  With about forty hours of effort and counting, it's getting close to perfect.  Nothing major, mostly dumb fit and finish type issues.  For example, the mirror in the head fell off and broke.  The mirror is attached with plugs, and double face tape.  Well, double face tape doesn't work if you don't pull the face off.  Like everything, the fist 90% is easier than the final 10%.  But, you and I the consumer expect that last 10%.

I don't have SeaDek on this one yet, completed the templates a few weeks ago.  Have real teak.  Looks great albeit a bit slippery when wet.  However, when in any direct sun and dry, it's hotter than h-e-double hockey sticks.  The 307 SSX swim platform sits a bit high, and doesn't get much splash when floating or running.  Not sure how to remove it yet, but assume it's applied with a pressure sensitive adhesive and that it will take a good bit of time.

Awesome, can't wait to see them.  When that model first came out, I was like "mother #%&*%^ #%^$&%$ #$%^$%&$ why didn't I wait!!!!"

Yeah, double sided stick tape does work juuuust a little bit better when the face is off looool!  That's great that most of your stuff is minor, pretty much the same thing on my 276 but they are annoying to as #$^%. 

Interesting that there was real teak on there.  Might want to consider selling it after removing it, for "recycling" purposes....uhm.  That stuff looks great when it's new.  Once it's weathered it pretty much looks like @#$%@#.  Aside from price, probably a huge reason why the synthetic materials are much more appealing, at least in boats other than larger flybridges and yachts.

Thank you for all the great advice. The pictures all look fantastic, which is why I'm so eager about SeaDek. I was worried about how steady of a hand I would have trying to duplicate the mat, but the extra quarter inch suggestion sounds like a really good idea, especially since I know there was plenty of extra room around the border of the original.

One other question, should I bother trying to trace the Chaparral logo or just ask them to place it in the center themselves? I know they'd likely do a better job than me at etching it than I would do at tracing it.

Hatem - attached are a few pictures.  As mentioned, it's a really fantastic model.  If I were to offer suggestions to Chaparral on this one, they'd be as follows:  lower the swim platform a few inches (it sits a bit too high off the water), extend the swim platform six to eight inches (so it better covers the outdrives, and they don't interfere with swimming), add a trim switch in the vicinity of the swim platform and offer/include docking lights.  Enjoy summer.    

pic1_.jpg

pic2_.jpg

pic5_.jpg

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Hatem - attached are a few pictures.

Curt, what the heck is wrong with you?  You need to keep up with the cleaning a little bit LOL! :D

2 hours ago, Curt said:

As mentioned, it's a really fantastic model.

That is just beautiful.  Really, really nice.  Chaparral really outdid themselves on this one and the 256, 277, 327, 337 and the entire Signature line with all the new bells and whistles like that vinyl dashboard and the square seats and just everything.  But the dude at Chaparral who designed that hardtop needs a raise.  That thing has the best lines to complement the boat.  Those Chap hardtops are sleeker and nicer looking than the Sea Ray ones IMO.  The latter makes them a bit smaller in relation to the boat and they look skimpy.  These are just the right size and shape the design team hit a homerun with it.

2 hours ago, Curt said:

If I were to offer suggestions to Chaparral on this one, they'd be as follows:  lower the swim platform a few inches (it sits a bit too high off the water), extend the swim platform six to eight inches (so it better covers the outdrives, and they don't interfere with swimming), add a trim switch in the vicinity of the swim platform and offer/include docking lights.

Hopefully they're reading this.  But I'm looking at that teak and wondering why you're replacing it?  Other than if you're looking for the softer feel of the Seadek, it looks like it was installed this morning.  Definitely find a way to pull it off in one piece so you can recycle it.

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Enjoy summer. 

Likewise.  Thanks for posting those awesome pics.  That thing is a beauty.

Hatem - Thank you. 

Agree fully that the quality, functionality, fit, finish, materials, etc. of the Chaparral SSX and Signature lines far surpass Sea Ray and all others.  Living on a lake, we are fortunate to be able to see and ride in a lot of boats that we'd otherwise have to guess about or admire from a far.  The design and execution of the SSX open bows simply exceed every other brand.  As to the Signature cruisers, these are superior for sure but the design just seems a bit boxy and stogy to me. 

You nailed it on the Chaparral hard tops.  They just look fantastic and are better designed.  Have you seen the option available on the current 307 and 337 SSX's?  There is now an integrated "sun roof" and retractable shade.  Totally cool.  Frankly, I've always preferred the Chaparral arches as well.  They just look better and more substantial in my opinion.  A real compliment to the boat.     

Arynden - I believe you should consult SeaDek on the logo.  Given how the instructions are written, I believe they have the logo on file and can apply it without needing to trace it.  Of course, this assumes no trademark and/or contract violation.  If they give you the green light, I believe you'd specify where to center and size. 

I liked the SeaDek product but not the cost to have them cut($600+).  And that was if I made the templates for my '09 226 SSI.  So I ordered a sheet of material (one color) and cut it with a thin razor knife held at a 45 angle.  For $160 I got a one meter by two meter sheet and made more coverage than they offered.  Not as pro looking but just a functional.  Hey, it's just a boat!

IMG_0831.JPG