Sign in to follow this  
Medic6940

Power steering leak

Anybody know anything about the power steering and where they typically leak? Just noticed my pump was bone dry.  Filled it up and ran the boat for a couple hours and the pump is dry again. What are the consequences of continued use with no fluid? 

Running the system dry will ruin the pump bearings, vanes, and seals and eventually the pump case. They are expensive so lets fix the leak. Your pump has a high pressure hose that goes back to the transom mounted steering ram. The ram has shaft seals, and the return line goes to a small power steering cooler, then back to the pump. Your pump may have a remote plastic fluid reservoir with a short hose to the pump. Any of these components may be the cause of your leak.  W

5 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

transom mounted steering ram.

That's exactly where the leak in mine was, at the steering ram itself and it's not a fun accessible spot, either.  Much easier to take off the engine hatch and access it from the swim platform.  That thing was leaking like a siv from the hydraulic arm IIRC.  There was no way to repair it and I actually had to replace it.  $700+ labor later and everything was fine.

12 hours ago, Medic6940 said:

Anybody know anything about the power steering and where they typically leak? Just noticed my pump was bone dry.  Filled it up and ran the boat for a couple hours and the pump is dry again. What are the consequences of continued use with no fluid? 

Check the ram that Wingnut referred to.  If you're suddenly seeing an empty pump and power steering reservoir and the fluid is orangy/oily in the bilge, chances are it's the RAM.

Are you getting fluid in the bilge way in the back?

I am having to replace my steering ram right now for the same issue. Emptied out into the bilge in about and hour. Awesome.

If these are Volvo systems , cheaper to replace with a standard hyd system. the volvo rams are not rebuildable

4 hours ago, Tony k said:

I am having to replace my steering ram right now for the same issue. Emptied out into the bilge in about and hour. Awesome.

That's fast, sucks.  Mine took a few outings to drain half the fluid in the reservoir, but I'd notice it when I would pull the butt plug out and some nasty, gooey, orangy shtttuff came out.   

2 hours ago, Medic6940 said:

Yes. I do have fluid in the bilge. 

Should be pretty easy to find, then.  Just look for where there's the most concentration of fluid dripping, then go straight up and touchy-feely when the motor is cool, you'll find it.  If it's way in the back near the plug, more likely to be the ram but let's hope it's just a bad hose clamp (if there are any) or a connection or something more minor than the ram, especially a Volvo one.

1 hour ago, Bt Doctur said:

power_steering_actuator_3862513_63541899

This was the bad ram and I couldn't really tell until I stuck my hand around the actuator and underneath it was where it was coming out from.

5SR7FAj.jpg

On 7/7/2018 at 6:45 AM, Medic6940 said:

If you use it with no fluid your engine will get overheat and will be destroyed. If there is a leak you need to patch it up.

What does an empty power steering have to do with the engine overheating?

39 minutes ago, Pops said:

Look at his other posts.  Odd.

54 minutes ago, Pops said:

Sounds like he confused engine coolant with power-steering fluid.

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:32 AM, Hatem said:

Sounds like he confused engine coolant with power-steering fluid.

Yeah, I guess that is a pretty common mix up.  B)