e-Xtreme

Rudeness on the lake -- How to handle it?

Scenario (happened to us on Thursday):  anchored at our favorite Tahoe cove, as are about 10 other boats.  There's a beach also, with about 20 families enjoying their land-bound day at the lake.

Nice and quiet, everyone's happy.

Then, a new model wakeboard boat comes in, four 25-30 year olds (two men, two women), tosses out their anchor and proceeds to light up about the loudest sound system I've ever heard (convert worthy).  Of course, subjecting everyone to THEIR music (some electronic stuff that didn't agree with us).

We put up with it for about ten minutes, then pulled up our anchor and moved down the lake to another cove.  I felt bad for the families at the beach, who paid for parking and relocating wasn't an option.

Of course, I was pissed the rest of the day and left wondering "how to you handle this kind of situation?"   I've never had this happen before.

Water Police write up the show off SCUM.

Been there & done the ticket routine. Police told them to move.

Simple. Get an even bigger sound system and play Barry Manilow...

brick

IMO....Wake Board owners next to those with Formulas are the biggest A Holes on the water.  But the wake boats are a distant first place.  It’s usually some jackhole 20 something with someone else’s money too.....all amped up on booze and testosterone.

You can’t fix ignorant so it’s usually best to move.

7 hours ago, e-Xtreme said:

Of course, I was pissed the rest of the day and left wondering "how to you handle this kind of situation?" 

What if you radioed them and asked them to kindly lower the music?  Oh wait, they probably won't hear the radio. 

What actually happens if you politely ask them to lower the music, especially if it looks like a couple pair and not 12 testosterone and booze filled fellas?  They probably would do it.

Or would it result in this?

giphy.gif

LOL - crank up the Barry.  And, for good measure, mix in a little Neil.  Funny thing though, a lot of 16 to 20 somethings actually know the words and sing along.  We've tried asking politely, not so politely, moving, staying, ignoring, grabbing another beverage, putting earplugs in, etc.  Have come to the conclusion you cannot fix ignorance or stupidity.  Another annoying wake board problem, the darn wake when they "buzz" everyone else that's floating/anchored.  Etiquette just seems to have gone out the window.  Boaters used to wave at one another and smile... the good ole days.

Wake boats SUCK !!  Nothing good comes from them when you are trying to enjoy a peaceful CALM cove. Either noise or waves, they are guaranteed to ruin your environment.   

2 hours ago, brick said:

brick

Ha, funny thing is right after we left, we came to the conclusion that Barry on our iPod and wattage would have been the best solution.

6 hours ago, brick said:

brick

:yb624::boating:

10 hours ago, brick said:

brick

Barry Manilow would offend??? That's sad ;)

Not a whole lot you can do without asking them to turn it down.  Most folks are pretty respectful on our lake but the rude people tend to be the non lake home owners whether it be people staying at a resort and this is the big week for them to use their boat or the loaders, (short for freeloaders) as we all call them, who are staying at a relative or friends home for the week.  We just work around them.  

A@@holes at all lakes!  Last year I was pulling my 8 year old daughter and a friend on a tube and I had a boat in front of us launching water balloons at them with some sort of  sling shot mechanism.   Needless to say once I approached them they quickly realized they picked the wrong boat to screw with.  If they didn’t handle my reaction correctly,  somebody was going to be in need of medical attention and I was going to have problems with the law.  And these two adults couples looked to be late thirties or early forties.  Not young kids by any means.

On the 4th, my friend had a wave runner speed up beside them and quickly turn to drench them with water.  

I assume alcohol played a factor in both instances. 

On 7/8/2018 at 8:24 AM, brick said:

brick

Ironically when we were on the lake Saturday night, a ski/wake boat with 4 HUGE pods on the tower was blasting "Come Sail Away" at max volume, so the Barry approach might not always do it. . .

1 minute ago, sburke91 said:

Ironically when we were on the lake Saturday night, a ski/wake boat with 4 HUGE pods on the tower was blasting "Come Sail Away" at max volume, so the Barry approach might not always do it. . .

Don't knock Fanilows or anything by Styx, ever! :)

I see that on our lake all of the time.  The music doesn't usually bother me but when the cursing at the top of their lungs starts while I have my kids on board, that's another story.  If it's bad enough, I'll say something.  Another thing that drives me nuts is smokers on the water.  I'm out enjoying nature and fresh air and I have to breathe in nasty cigarette smoke!!

On 7/8/2018 at 8:06 AM, Hatem said:

What if you radioed them and asked them to kindly lower the music?  Oh wait, they probably won't hear the radio. 

What actually happens if you politely ask them to lower the music, especially if it looks like a couple pair and not 12 testosterone and booze filled fellas?  They probably would do it.

Or would it result in this?

giphy.gif

Funny you mention this...I wasn't a witness, but on our lake this exact scenario played out over the weekend.  Some guy knocked out a 67 year old and punched a young teenager too.  Over music!  Cops are trying to find him.

I've had to get in the habit of checking out each camp site that are set up in a canyon/cove I want to overnight in and if there are camps with wake boats we look for a new spot.  Nothing worse than getting all set up and pouring a cocktail and throwing some poppers on the grill for happy hour just to have a wake boat pull into the cove and start running laps back and forth behind your boat(s). They don't pay attention when you try to wave them off because they are rocking  our boats so much we can't enjoy the evening.  

1 hour ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Funny you mention this...I wasn't a witness, but on our lake this exact scenario played out over the weekend.  Some guy knocked out a 67 year old and punched a young teenager too.  Over music!  Cops are trying to find him.

I hope they find him and at least let the old man take a good swing at one of his eyeballs.  A black eye for a black eye.

Put on your scuba gear, swim up and drill a hole in the hull - watch them sink!

Ancient Romans had two words that dealt with A-Holes they didn’t like — “Ramming speed!!!”

Having The Great Lakes and their tributaries at my disposal any time of the week, (being retired) I really feel for you guys that boat on the small inland lakes, and what you have to put up with. I don't understand why you have to be the ones that have to run and hide to enjoy your week-end day of boating. I have been on most of your popular lakes out west, very pretty. I was fortunate enough to be able to experience them on the week-days. The one thing that I noticed is, that it is pretty much every man for himself and very little boating dedicate. I have run the length of The St. Clair River, which is some 30+ miles long on a week-day and pass less then a dozen boats of which most of them were fishing. Bottom line know matter how you handle it, there will be no winners. Almost every small bow rider and wake boat has boom boxes and fancy lighting, they seam to be some of the selling points. And not to mention, look at some of the posts on our forum and the pictures they post. Any time you encounter someone that says hey look at me, walk away.

Just an old mans view.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. 

Denny.

It is not very satisfying to live emotionally on texting for a lifetime. A boat with excessive gimmicks ?   OH YEAH

9 hours ago, Denny said:

Bottom line know matter how you handle it, there will be no winners.

That's not true.  That's some pretty crappy wisdom from an old guy who's supposed to have the opposite kind of advice.  You know, the stuff people call GOOD ADVICE? 

So according to your wisdom, if the OP asked the pair of couples politely to lower the music and they did, he would've failed? 

9 hours ago, Denny said:

Almost every small bow rider and wake boat has boom boxes and fancy lighting, they seam to be some of the selling points.

That's the way it is nowadays and we have to deal with it, whether we like it or not.  Kinda like the Yuppies who replaced the Hippies (you remember that, right?) and now guess who it is?  Yep, it's the Millenials.   

9 hours ago, Denny said:

And not to mention, look at some of the posts on our forum and the pictures they post. Any time you encounter someone that says hey look at me, walk away.

Add crappy advice to the crappy wisdom, my goodness.  Personally, I enjoy looking at other pics and cool gimmicks people add or have to their boats.  Never force anyone else to look at them.  That's what makes a forum interesting and worthy.  Put it this way, it's a heck of a lot better than watching 9 out of the 10 consecutive topics posted that are nothing but "help, overheat alarm going off" or "tickle sensor pump tube crack blah blah bah" which is fine, but no one is complaining about the terrific and cumulative boredom of those threads since we all want to help people as well.  But to knock the others for their preferences just sucks IMO. 

9 hours ago, Denny said:

Just an old mans view.

Sorry, but more like a bleak and depressing view, Denny.  Sheesh.

4 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

A boat with excessive gimmicks ?   OH YEAH

Dammmned right.  Fascinating.  Another old man with the diametrically opposed view.  Gotta love it.

That's pretty unfortunate that you had a rude boater ruin your day at the cove.  I know you travel so far every year for your annual trip there and it is a pretty place to be just hanging out and enjoying the clear water, clean beach, and tranquility.  

I probably would have asked them to turn it down a bit and then they'd give me the "finger", but they would leave sooner knowing that they weren't welcomed if they didn't turn it down. 

Wow! Guess I ruffled a few feathers. Cool. Where I boat at the boaters are considerate of others. I really feel sorry for those of you that have to put up with that stuff, and have to figure out the best way to handle those types of situations. Here we DO wave at each other as we pass. Maybe that is just the way of the Midwest boaters. Denny.