brclark82

Flat Tire Question

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here so I figured I’d get some opinions before I head the shop tomorrow. 

On my way back from LOTO 4th of July trip I got a serious piece of metal lodged in my rear truck tire (1/8” thick, 3” wide and not sure how deep yet).  My tpms warned me and it was dropping about 1 psi every 2-3 seconds as I pulled to the side of the road.  When I got out i could hear the hiss from the rear passenger tire immediately even over the sound of my Diesel engine.

Fun times changing it...to get to the tools required both child seats had to be completely removed to get under the rear seat, which meant I had my wife with 3 month old and 2 year old in the grass along the interstate.  Luckily we had a blanket and they watched a movie on the iPad about 50 ft from the road.

Anyway, it’s a 2017 Silverado 2500 with only 15k miles on it and the tires have been rotated 3x already.  Must be over 80% tread left.

Do I have to replace all 4 tires? I was thinking maybe just 2 but then the next time they’re rotated they will be on different axles anyway, so then I thought about just replacing the 1 tire...thoughts?

Replace only the one tire with a like, new unit and put it on the rear. 15K is nothing as far as appreciable tread wear goes. A brand new tire will track a bit better than a used one, especially a radial, so if you replace one or two they always go on the rear so that whatever the front lays down, the back will be able to follow. Put two new radials on the front steering axle sounds like a good move until you have to make a tight evasive maneuver, and come to find that the rear tires are just not able to follow the leaders. Get a new tire, place it on the rear, and relax. Tire rotation is a good idea to even out wear, and extend overall tire life but in your case, it's not an imperative.  W

Perfect, thank for your help..ordered one new tire today, $200 is way easier to stomach than $800 for new tires on a truck with 15k miles 

Be VERY SURE you & tire guy pick the SAME TYPE of tire as is on the truck now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Some tire patterns SHOULD NOT be crisscross rotated.  Only front to rear rotation on the same side.

While we're on the subject of tires......Has anybody ever heard of the Ford Focus burning up tires at a faster rate than normal? When I bought the car, I burned up a 40k tire set in 20k. I bought new tires with 80K......just barely passed NYS inspection and will have to be replace before the snow falls this year. Just over 45k. 

I thought about my driving habit....I'm certainly not like grandma driving a few miles a day but I'm not an Indy500 driver either.

Had the same problem. The remaining tread left was about 60% so I bought 4 new tires from 4wheelonline. I used the one tire as a spare and sold the other two used tires.

On 7/11/2018 at 9:45 AM, SST said:

While we're on the subject of tires......Has anybody ever heard of the Ford Focus burning up tires at a faster rate than normal? When I bought the car, I burned up a 40k tire set in 20k. I bought new tires with 80K......just barely passed NYS inspection and will have to be replace before the snow falls this year. Just over 45k. 

I thought about my driving habit....I'm certainly not like grandma driving a few miles a day but I'm not an Indy500 driver either.

What brand, who from, and how old?  Denny.

On 7/11/2018 at 9:45 AM, SST said:

Time to take off the turbo and NOX system. My fiancee has a Hyundai Sonata and a belt separated on a rear tire at 29,000. Tires looked perfect otherwise. I put on a pair of new Michelin's and at 31,000 another belt separated on the original tires. Now she has 4 new Michelin's. W

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 1:01 AM, brclark82 said:

Do I have to replace all 4 tires? I was thinking maybe just 2 but then the next time they’re rotated they will be on different axles anyway, so then I thought about just replacing the 1 tire...thoughts?

I was hoping to only replace my two front tires, but then I saw this just the other day.  Now I might be looking at 6!

Y13Fy0u.jpg

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:01 PM, Denny said:

What brand, who from, and how old?  Denny.

Sorry for the delay...….Current tires:

Cooper CS4 Touring......195/60R15 88T BW    80K.....Date of Purchase: 11/2013  

Current Mileage: 95500

Mileage at Purchase: 46380...…….Mileage on 80K tire- 49120.

4 hours ago, SST said:

Sorry for the delay...….Current tires:

Cooper CS4 Touring......195/60R15 88T BW    80K.....Date of Purchase: 11/2013  

Current Mileage: 95500

Mileage at Purchase: 46380...…….Mileage on 80K tire- 49120.

Hmmm,  I don't recall this being an 80k mile tire.  I believe it was a 60k mile tire.  What is the tread depth remaining?

Edit:  The T speed rated did have an 80k mile warranty.  The V rated versions had 60k.  My mistake.

3 hours ago, Dennis A said:

Hmmm,  I don't recall this being an 80k mile tire.  I believe it was a 60k mile tire.  What is the tread depth remaining?

Edit:  The T speed rated did have an 80k mile warranty.  The V rated versions had 60k.  My mistake.

When the car had its NYS inspection [June], it just passed. The remaining depth can be looked at two different ways. One is the difference between the tread and the wear bar[NYSI}. Or between the tread and the bottom of the tread. 

The car is not here to actually measure as its in the repair shop for clutch work so I don't know what the actual remaining tread is. But, I won't go through another winter with these tires. Last year, it handled well in all types of precipitation except for a thin layer of wet, dense snow. Very difficult to get the car moving.  

I've looked through the web and there are as many complaints about the Focus eating tires as there are cars on the road. 

Are these “run flats” by chance?  First set I almost got 30,000 (aweful). The current set is coming up on 20,000 and I don’t think they’ll be safe this winter. All that focus on weight to get mileage claimed that oh so heavy spare in a large number of vehicles. 

Nope, not run flats.  Just a regular tire.

The annoying thing is that earlier, I looked at Dunn Tire where I bought them and they don't carry them anymore. Only thing close to it was 65K. So that means with my car, I"ll get maybe 35K on the next set. 

Long ago, when I had a Dodge Charger, I use to put Goodyear Eagle GT's on the car. I don't recall anymore what the tire mileage was suppose to be but I don't recall burning them up like the Focus. I was a lot harder on tires back then vs now.  I loved those tires. Especially because they mimicked the nose gear tires of the B-727 with the splash guard [water deflector] that deflected water away from the a/c. It still puts a smile on my face when I think about it. 

Yeah I'm nuts but I haven't reached certification yet.

Tires that come on our new cars tend to be due for replacement at 25k or so. No matter what model car or brand of tire. Tires now are not just engineered to last a long amount of miles, they now concentrate more on fuel mileage and ride quality. If you do try to start a mileage claim against them the first thing they want to see is proof of regular rotations and alignment checks and adjustments. Generally the higher mileage rated tires do last longer but you can expect that you will only reach about half the rated mileage they claim.

Last 4 sets of Michelin LTX M/S tires I have had on my last two Expeditions went over 100k miles.  These are 80K tires.  

7 hours ago, SST said:

The annoying thing is that earlier, I looked at Dunn Tire where I bought them and they don't carry them anymore.

The Cooper CS4 was discontinued a replaced by the CS5.

52 minutes ago, Dennis A said:

Last 4 sets of Michelin LTX M/S tires I have had on my last two Expeditions went over 100k miles.  These are 80K tires.  

How come I'm not surprised?  Considering your boat is 26 years old and in mint condition; averaging only 9 hours a season...I can see you operating with the same TLC on your vehicles.

1 hour ago, Hatem said:

How come I'm not surprised?  Considering your boat is 26 years old and in mint condition; averaging only 9 hours a season...I can see you operating with the same TLC on your vehicles.

Haha.  I don't think it's me.  22 million miles reviewed on tirerack.com....https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=LTX+M%2FS2 

I read some of the reviews in the link posted for Michelin.  I guess my problem is more wide spread than I thought. So, I guess I'll just plow ahead and keep proper pressure and rotate at the oil change.   

Of all the tires I've had for the Focus, the Coopers now on it have been the best especially in rain. So I'll try to get them again.

After reading the Michelin link reviews, it occurs to me that tires improved for gas mileage is really self defeating because the money your saving in gas is being spent on the tires replacement.

Has anybody engineered the cost savings average life span of a tire?

Answered my own question:  https://www.consumerreports.org/fuel-economy/low-rolling-resistance-tires-can-save-fuel/

48 minutes ago, SST said:

I read some of the reviews in the link posted for Michelin.  I guess my problem is more wide spread than I thought. So, I guess I'll just plow ahead and keep proper pressure and rotate at the oil change.   

Of all the tires I've had for the Focus, the Coopers now on it have been the best especially in rain. So I'll try to get them again.

After reading the Michelin link reviews, it occurs to me that tires improved for gas mileage is really self defeating because the money your saving in gas is being spent on the tires replacement.

Has anybody engineered the cost savings average life span of a tire?

Answered my own question:  https://www.consumerreports.org/fuel-economy/low-rolling-resistance-tires-can-save-fuel/

https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/resistance-movement.html

Interesting article. I wouldn't for the life of me ever go back to the OEM tire that came with my car. Burned them up pretty quick. I'll try for Cooper again if they will fit.