Sign in to follow this  
brclark82

Flat Tire Question

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here so I figured I’d get some opinions before I head the shop tomorrow. 

On my way back from LOTO 4th of July trip I got a serious piece of metal lodged in my rear truck tire (1/8” thick, 3” wide and not sure how deep yet).  My tpms warned me and it was dropping about 1 psi every 2-3 seconds as I pulled to the side of the road.  When I got out i could hear the hiss from the rear passenger tire immediately even over the sound of my Diesel engine.

Fun times changing it...to get to the tools required both child seats had to be completely removed to get under the rear seat, which meant I had my wife with 3 month old and 2 year old in the grass along the interstate.  Luckily we had a blanket and they watched a movie on the iPad about 50 ft from the road.

Anyway, it’s a 2017 Silverado 2500 with only 15k miles on it and the tires have been rotated 3x already.  Must be over 80% tread left.

Do I have to replace all 4 tires? I was thinking maybe just 2 but then the next time they’re rotated they will be on different axles anyway, so then I thought about just replacing the 1 tire...thoughts?

Replace only the one tire with a like, new unit and put it on the rear. 15K is nothing as far as appreciable tread wear goes. A brand new tire will track a bit better than a used one, especially a radial, so if you replace one or two they always go on the rear so that whatever the front lays down, the back will be able to follow. Put two new radials on the front steering axle sounds like a good move until you have to make a tight evasive maneuver, and come to find that the rear tires are just not able to follow the leaders. Get a new tire, place it on the rear, and relax. Tire rotation is a good idea to even out wear, and extend overall tire life but in your case, it's not an imperative.  W

Perfect, thank for your help..ordered one new tire today, $200 is way easier to stomach than $800 for new tires on a truck with 15k miles 

Be VERY SURE you & tire guy pick the SAME TYPE of tire as is on the truck now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Some tire patterns SHOULD NOT be crisscross rotated.  Only front to rear rotation on the same side.

While we're on the subject of tires......Has anybody ever heard of the Ford Focus burning up tires at a faster rate than normal? When I bought the car, I burned up a 40k tire set in 20k. I bought new tires with 80K......just barely passed NYS inspection and will have to be replace before the snow falls this year. Just over 45k. 

I thought about my driving habit....I'm certainly not like grandma driving a few miles a day but I'm not an Indy500 driver either.