bomboy

CRAParral Never buy!

I bought a new 2017 H20 18 ft fish and ski last season. Here's how 2017 went

• Broke down first trip on the water.  Power steering pump failed, alternator belt broke.  Needed tow back to dock. 
  • Missed a few days  vacation on the lake while the dealer fixed the issue. 
  • Took the boat out again, heard noise from the engine compartment.
  • Dealer said the power steering pump had failed again.
    • No boat or the fourth of July..New boat in shop
  • AC Plug for charging battery was loose, falling into gunwhale
  • Right side helm instruments and lights don't work
  • Gas tank would  ot take gas- Vapor lock
  • Two weeks later- Gas gauge fell out of dash!
  • Live well pumps water into bilge! 
  • Glovebox doors are coming loose screws fell out.
  • Tower pins are faulty

Took CRAParral all winter to figure out the service.  Many calls left unreturned from warranty.

Finally had the work arranged in May. 

They didn't send the parts. Waited another month. 

Had it all fixed. Now.. won't take gas again, and..... Left me stranded on the water, total loss of power while cruising, would not restart.  

Now Ashley Hibbard at CRAParral warranty says.  "Three weeks to get repair."  

I have a vacation paid for in two weeks.  

Awful brand, Awful Warranty personnel.  STAY AWAY FROM CRAPARRAL.  

IF you are readng this, DO NOT BUY!!! I might get my boat out three times this summer. 

Sounds like you got more than a few issues as many new boats and cars do unfortunately.  One nice thing about used boats that are only slightly used is the previous owner dealt with all the warranty issues and took the depreciation.  The next owner will thank you.  

I did an inspection of my boat before taking possession with the dealership owner, found problems and had them fixed before I took it.

sorry to hear of your experience.  I have a 2016 h2o 21ft.  72 hrs - thus far no problems - knock on wood.   Not sure how such discrepancy in build quality can exist.  

My boat is 2 feet too short, but I blame that on my paycheck.  

Is your dealer helpful with this?  If you have a lemon have you approached your dealer about taking it off of your hands.  Perhaps as a bit of goodwill he could get you into something else at minimal to no cost difference?

Customer service is an oxymoron for most companies these days.  I believe it has contributed to the escalation of internet bashing / "DO NOT BUY" rhetoric - seems to be the only option you have left.    I would work with your dealer about getting into another boat - everyone loses a little money (you, the dealer, probably not chaparral), but perhaps you get your vacation back.   Good luck. 

My first brand new 2002 was perfect.

My 2nd replacement 2002 is perfect.

20 hours ago, bomboy said:

I bought a new 2017 H20 18 ft fish and ski last season. Here's how 2017 went

• Broke down first trip on the water.  Power steering pump failed, alternator belt broke.  Needed tow back to dock. 
  • Missed a few days  vacation on the lake while the dealer fixed the issue. 
  • Took the boat out again, heard noise from the engine compartment.
  • Dealer said the power steering pump had failed again.
    • No boat or the fourth of July..New boat in shop
  • AC Plug for charging battery was loose, falling into gunwhale
  • Right side helm instruments and lights don't work
  • Gas tank would  ot take gas- Vapor lock
  • Two weeks later- Gas gauge fell out of dash!
  • Live well pumps water into bilge! 
  • Glovebox doors are coming loose screws fell out.
  • Tower pins are faulty

Took CRAParral all winter to figure out the service.  Many calls left unreturned from warranty.

Finally had the work arranged in May. 

They didn't send the parts. Waited another month. 

Had it all fixed. Now.. won't take gas again, and..... Left me stranded on the water, total loss of power while cruising, would not restart.  

Now Ashley Hibbard at CRAParral warranty says.  "Three weeks to get repair."  

I have a vacation paid for in two weeks.  

Awful brand, Awful Warranty personnel.  STAY AWAY FROM CRAPARRAL.  

IF you are readng this, DO NOT BUY!!! I might get my boat out three times this summer. 

Wow, man.  That is a miserable list of failures and I would be pissed off to no end as well, ma man. 

@VAboater  had some good advice, might be the end route to take. 

It seems those smaller boats like the H20s and Fish & Skis are being mass produced and pushed through the assembly line.  Not as much attention to each step as the larger and more expensive boats but still, you're paying a lot of hard-earned cash for an expensive toy and the last thing you should be getting is something with a slew of problems like that.

Good luck and hopefully Chaparral and your dealer come through.

There must've something gone wrong with your boat during assembly, as I cant otherwise guess any other reason for so many issues. Mine 2017 21 H2O Sport has been very reliable and solid, no major issues going on third year. The only issues I had were the bilge pump locking up because of debris lest in bilge and the trim gauge - both promptly fixed by the dealer.

I wish you prompt successful resolution to the issues

I am on my 4th Chaparral spread over 25 years.  Great boats. Great service from my dealer. 

You can’t blame Chaparral for engine problems. That is a Merc or Volvo issue. 

brick

28 minutes ago, brick said:

I am on my 4th Chaparral spread over 25 years.  Great boats. Great service from my dealer. 

You can’t blame Chaparral for engine problems. That is a Merc or Volvo issue. 

brick

sure you can.  Chaparral is the prime contractor/vendor in this instance.  Just like you buy a car and the tires suck, you don't blame good year you blame Ford/chevy or whomever.  Its not the buyers problems who and where the prime gets their parts, its the primes problem.  That boat is sold under the label and everything on that boat is chaps problem at the time of sale and while under warranty. 

5 minutes ago, soldier4402 said:

sure you can.  Chaparral is the prime contractor/vendor in this instance.  Just like you buy a car and the tires suck, you don't blame good year you blame Ford/chevy or whomever.  Its not the buyers problems who and where the prime gets their parts, its the primes problem.  That boat is sold under the label and everything on that boat is chaps problem at the time of sale and while under warranty. 

That's how I see it as well, and always have.  But for some reason, once I decided to buy a boat and get into this awesome activity, I've found out that many share the same view as Brick does and I've never understood it.  The consensus (from their point of view) is that boats are not viewed the same way as cars which I don't understand why.  To me, retail is retail no matter what industry you're in, and retail always has the same standards of liability all across the board.  Why should boats be any different? 

20 minutes ago, Hatem said:

That's how I see it as well, and always have.  But for some reason, once I decided to buy a boat and get into this awesome activity, I've found out that many share the same view as Brick does and I've never understood it.  The consensus (from their point of view) is that boats are not viewed the same way as cars which I don't understand why.  To me, retail is retail no matter what industry you're in, and retail always has the same standards of liability all across the board.  Why should boats be any different? 

While true that chap for the most part just makes the hull, and other parts manufactures have a hand and should bear some responsibility of what goes into it.  But ultimately chap is selling you a complete boat just not the hull.  I work with contracts at work and end of the day who signs on the dotted line to provide that service or supply is responsible, now primes do like to pull out the it wasn't ours card or we didn't do it.  Doesn't matter.  I go back to while under warranty and at point of sale chap is selling a complete product and should stand by that product.  I got it dealers are not chap owned and it does muddy the water, ultimately chap says our dealers will take care of it for us.  There's not a product of I ever bought that at point of sale or during warranty I have thought boy brand x didn't make this plastic part or this or that so they aren't responsible. 

What it really boils down to is poor customer service and standing behind their product from the manufacture and dealer.  And the manufacture or chap or any other boat builder out there has muddied the water by pawning their crap off on dealers and pointing fingers at people like merc which ultimately lends to people believing it.  You don't see this in the car world, but then again with service, pricing, etc its no wonder the boat market keeps getting whitteled down.

17 minutes ago, soldier4402 said:

While true that chap for the most part just makes the hull, and other parts manufactures have a hand and should bear some responsibility of what goes into it.  But ultimately chap is selling you a complete boat just not the hull.  I work with contracts at work and end of the day who signs on the dotted line to provide that service or supply is responsible, now primes do like to pull out the it wasn't ours card or we didn't do it.  Doesn't matter.  I go back to while under warranty and at point of sale chap is selling a complete product and should stand by that product.  I got it dealers are not chap owned and it does muddy the water, ultimately chap says our dealers will take care of it for us.  There's not a product of I ever bought that at point of sale or during warranty I have thought boy brand x didn't make this plastic part or this or that so they aren't responsible. 

What it really boils down to is poor customer service and standing behind their product from the manufacture and dealer.  And the manufacture or chap or any other boat builder out there has muddied the water by pawning their crap off on dealers and pointing fingers at people like merc which ultimately lends to people believing it.  You don't see this in the car world, but then again with service, pricing, etc its no wonder the boat market keeps getting whitteled down.

I agree.  There was something mentioned a couple of years ago about the purchase contract that you sign with boat dealers that has a some sort of vague stipulation in it regarding the engine and maybe a couple of other items that if they fail and need to be addressed through the warranty, the buyer has to go directly through the OEM and not the dealer.  Not sure of the veracity of that or even if that stipulation does in fact exist, but I think that's the basis of that point of view.  There's something somewhere in the fine print of the contract in buying boats that as a consumer, takes the liability away from the dealer.  But I've never seen any concrete evidence of such a thing.

Reading the list of complaints,  I think both the engine manufacturer and Chap share some fault. The power steering system failure(s) is on the motor maker, the other listings are manufacturing defects. Both need to work in unison with the dealer to get this guys boat fixed right. None of those things on the list should be occurring on a new boat.

2 hours ago, Hatem said:

I agree.  There was something mentioned a couple of years ago about the purchase contract that you sign with boat dealers that has a some sort of vague stipulation in it regarding the engine and maybe a couple of other items that if they fail and need to be addressed through the warranty, the buyer has to go directly through the OEM and not the dealer.  Not sure of the veracity of that or even if that stipulation does in fact exist, but I think that's the basis of that point of view.  There's something somewhere in the fine print of the contract in buying boats that as a consumer, takes the liability away from the dealer.  But I've never seen any concrete evidence of such a thing.

True its all in the fine print and the manufacture can pawn off as much as they want in the customer if you read the fine print.  And no warranty factory or not is iron clad and fact remains the consumer does have some responsibility in proper care and use.  Warranty or not you just sold me a 50-100k product this isnt some leaf blower, a company selling that sort of pricey product should stand behind it.

19 minutes ago, Chap243 said:

Reading the list of complaints,  I think both the engine manufacturer and Chap share some fault. The power steering system failure(s) is on the motor maker, the other listings are manufacturing defects. Both need to work in unison with the dealer to get this guys boat fixed right. None of those things on the list should be occurring on a new boat.

I wonder if all boats get a water test by builder or the dealer, just seems like a lot of the problems would be figured out then.  Fun fact I bought a used Fountain a while back and the owner gave the original test sheet, gave the date, water and air temp etc, and check list of items and Reggie Fountain signed and dated the test run verifying everything worked.  best of my knowledge fountain tested every single boat before it was sent out.

I also think boat makers are going down the same road that others are in terms of making things that don't last.  We bought a washer and dryer a few months back and salesman stated that most of this stuff is only designed to last 5-10 years like that was normal.  To be honest my 02 chap wasn't as well built as my 90s boats of various brands.  And after looking at various boats by different makers at shows they are using a lot of plastic and overall construction just seems cheap, makes me very hesitant to buy anything that was built in the last 10 years or so.

Yep, a troll trying to stir the pot and blow off steam. It Worked.

It is a bit suspicious that someone would come into a Chaparral Owners Forum(indicating that we have already purchased said brand), and throw a hand grenade.  Three week turnaround on a repair in the middle of the season seems pretty reasonable to me.

19 minutes ago, JPFunk said:

It is a bit suspicious that someone would come into a Chaparral Owners Forum(indicating that we have already purchased said brand), and throw a hand grenade.  Three week turnaround on a repair in the middle of the season seems pretty reasonable to me.

maybe but somebody might be at wits end on something and trying to grasp for anything to help or merely to vent.

5 hours ago, Phillbo said:

I'm betting we never hear from the OP again. One and done. 

Well, I was hoping to hear of other owners who experienced similar situations, specifically the vapor lock issue.  Have ny of you experienced this problem and had it fixed, for good? 

And yes, I discourage any buyer from choosing Chaparral.  

My dealer is not going to help me out with trade or swap, I'm confident of that.  

15 minutes ago, VAboater said:

Russian bot.  Sowing dissent in the chaparral community.  

So helpful.

1 hour ago, soldier4402 said:

maybe but somebody might be at wits end on something and trying to grasp for anything to help or merely to vent.

Did you miss that I couldn't use my boat until July 1st this year because Chaparral could not line up the parts for the tech until early may?  I asked for help in October.  The work was scheduled for early may, then Chaparral didn't send the parts!  Waited another month.  

I know you guys are proud of your boats, and I researched before I bought, on many forums, I heard Chaparral was top notch.  I have a new boat that I'm afraid to leave sight of the dock with for fear of breaking down again. 

I wonder why a few of you are trying to turn this around on me?