bomboy

CRAParral Never buy!

1 hour ago, JPFunk said:

It is a bit suspicious that someone would come into a Chaparral Owners Forum(indicating that we have already purchased said brand), and throw a hand grenade.  Three week turnaround on a repair in the middle of the season seems pretty reasonable to me.

Thanks again.  

1. Quick

2. Cheap

3. Correct

I've always been told you can have only have 2 of the 3 in any combo. 

Sorry to hear about your issues - hopefully they can get all things fixed and you back on the water!

7 hours ago, MasterT said:

There must've something gone wrong with your boat during assembly, as I cant otherwise guess any other reason for so many issues. Mine 2017 21 H2O Sport has been very reliable and solid, no major issues going on third year. The only issues I had were the bilge pump locking up because of debris lest in bilge and the trim gauge - both promptly fixed by the dealer.

I wish you prompt successful resolution to the issues

Thanks!

We order a significant amount of parts every year from Chaparral. Other than a few parts that are on back order for older boats we generally do not have an issue acquiring parts. 

Specifically what parts are you waiting for?

Bomboy,  

Here is some serious advice;

I may have lost count, but if you bought a new boat in 2017 and your dealer has had it at least 3 times with that list of issues, I don't understand how he / she could not help you and look at you with a straight face.   Somehow get a face to face answer from your dealer for the following question;  "Is this acceptable?".  

This is a simple test of their emotional intelligence.  If they are capable of experiencing embarrassment and other emotions that a normal adult would experience in this situation (taking someone's hard earned money for a pos product) then give them a chance to make it right.  If they are not, then they are pathologic and you are wasting your time.  

I would also ask a similar question of Chappy corporate.  Try to get it in writing.   Since you are dealing with a company and not an individual, I would vary the question and ask if this "is within specifications or normal owner expectations?" (this gets at what is their corporate culture).  If they tell you it is - then by all means, post away and you may change my opinion of the company. 

either way it sounds like your boat is a dud and you need to off-load it (preferably back on your dealer).  I would trade it in to a dealer and not some other poor soul.  

otherwise it sounds like it will just further continue to drain your bank account and be a source of aggravation.  sorry for your bad luck.  I agree that that is a lot of money and swallowing the loss on a trade in will be tough.  

good luck.  

1 hour ago, bomboy said:

Well, I was hoping to hear of other owners who experienced similar situations, specifically the vapor lock issue.  Have ny of you experienced this problem and had it fixed, for good? 

Your fueling issue is not 'vapor locking' it's most likely a kink in the vent line. 

I thought kinked fuel tank & vacuum lines caused extremely slow refilling of the gas tanks.

If both lines collapse due to a fuel pump  vacuum of the fill and vent lines. The engine will die while running ?

Not making light of your situation, it sucks and Chaparral designed, built, sold and should make it right. 

Setting that aside, many items on the list can be corrected by you with modest effort.  While not necessarily what any of us expect when buying an expensive shinny thing, it's not all bad and can be fun and rewarding.  The goal is a fully functional boat that you have confidence in and enjoy.  Major things like the power steering should be addressed by the dealer, and they should do so with priority and without delay.  Having one failure is odd, two odder and a thorough investigation is warranted because both the lottery and Vegas offer better odds.  Sometimes a willingness to self-help can put pep into a dealers step.  Sometimes not.  As a previous poster indicated, the fuel issue is likely a kinked vent hose. 

Regarding parts availability, nothing on your list should take more than a few days to a week to obtain.  Anything longer likely means there is a dispute as to what's going on, you've been ignored, your paperwork was lost, someone is absent from work/overworked, you are at the bottom of a large pile, awful dealer, whatever.    

You should contact BBB and consumer affairs.  Hire an attorney and have them write a letter demanding corrections to your satisfaction or that they take th boat back at full price. You are owed for your aggrevation at this point.

Read your warranty...

brick

11 minutes ago, WaterDR said:

You should contact BBB and consumer affairs.  Hire an attorney and have them write a letter demanding corrections to your satisfaction or that they take th boat back at full price. You are owed for your aggrevation at this point.

This is the way I’m leaning. I wonder if that would work. Thanks.

I’ve been telling Chaparral to give me my money back since it broke down on our first outing.  They don’t entertain the idea. I’d like to wash my hands if the whole thing. 

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Not making light of your situation, it sucks and Chaparral designed, built, sold and should make it right. 

Setting that aside, many items on the list can be corrected by you with modest effort.  While not necessarily what any of us expect when buying an expensive shinny thing, it's not all bad and can be fun and rewarding.  The goal is a fully functional boat that you have confidence in and enjoy.  Major things like the power steering should be addressed by the dealer, and they should do so with priority and without delay.  Having one failure is odd, two odder and a thorough investigation is warranted because both the lottery and Vegas offer better odds.  Sometimes a willingness to self-help can put pep into a dealers step.  Sometimes not.  As a previous poster indicated, the fuel issue is likely a kinked vent hose. 

Regarding parts availability, nothing on your list should take more than a few days to a week to obtain.  Anything longer likely means there is a dispute as to what's going on, you've been ignored, your paperwork was lost, someone is absent from work/overworked, you are at the bottom of a large pile, awful dealer, whatever.    

The vent line is not kinked. The problem lies in the charcoal canister in the vent line. It was gummed up when replaced a few weeks ago. I got two tanks in it when the boat came back. Then, the problem was worse than before. Then I spent two hours at the pump to fill so the family and I could enjoy a day on the water on Saturday. Ran for about two hours then... rapid rpm loss. Would not restart.  

Since then I’ve found that if I remove the vent hose from the tank, it takes gas. 

Thank the EPA for the canister

brick

1 hour ago, cyclops2 said:

I thought kinked fuel tank & vacuum lines caused extremely slow refilling of the gas tanks.

If both lines collapse due to a fuel pump  vacuum of the fill and vent lines. The engine will die while running ?

This is what I thought. Not sure if it’s possible. If vent is clogged at charcoal canister, would a vacuum build in the tank and deny gas to the fuel pump?  Not sure because I did remove the vent hose from the tank to release any pressure. I didn’t hear a hiss as the tank would suck air. 

1 hour ago, Phillbo said:

Your fueling issue is not 'vapor locking' it's most likely a kink in the vent line. 

Not a kink.  A new hose with a good loop and new charcoal canister was installed last week. 

3 minutes ago, brick said:

Thank the EPA for the canister

brick

How about it. Know  of a workaround? A filling system that works?

2 minutes ago, bomboy said:

This is what I thought. Not sure if it’s possible. If vent is clogged at charcoal canister, would a vacuum build in the tank and deny gas to the fuel pump?  Not sure because I did remove the vent hose from the tank to release any pressure. I didn’t hear a hiss as the tank would suck air. 

Kinked vent line or plugged canister will starve fuel tank of make-up air as the pump consumes fuel from the tank. Usually that will make the pump struggle against the building vacuum upstream and start to whine before completely stopping from overheat condition.

Funny, I just helped a buddy via text to troubleshoot same exact problem on an 80s BMW that he bought in LA and drove back home to east coast in order to sell. As soon as he hit the high desert, car started stuttering and pump started whining as the miles clicked by. Bypassing the charcoal canister solved the problem.

2 hours ago, VAboater said:

Bomboy,  

Here is some serious advice;

I may have lost count, but if you bought a new boat in 2017 and your dealer has had it at least 3 times with that list of issues, I don't understand how he / she could not help you and look at you with a straight face.   Somehow get a face to face answer from your dealer for the following question;  "Is this acceptable?".  

This is a simple test of their emotional intelligence.  If they are capable of experiencing embarrassment and other emotions that a normal adult would experience in this situation (taking someone's hard earned money for a pos product) then give them a chance to make it right.  If they are not, then they are pathologic and you are wasting your time.  

I would also ask a similar question of Chappy corporate.  Try to get it in writing.   Since you are dealing with a company and not an individual, I would vary the question and ask if this "is within specifications or normal owner expectations?" (this gets at what is their corporate culture).  If they tell you it is - then by all means, post away and you may change my opinion of the company. 

either way it sounds like your boat is a dud and you need to off-load it (preferably back on your dealer).  I would trade it in to a dealer and not some other poor soul.  

otherwise it sounds like it will just further continue to drain your bank account and be a source of aggravation.  sorry for your bad luck.  I agree that that is a lot of money and swallowing the loss on a trade in will be tough.  

good luck.  

Yes, the story has been:

Dealer: It’s Chaparral’s fault. Talk with warranty. 

Chaparral warranty:  “Warranty issues are to be expected on a new boat.”

You’re right, I saved for a long time to buy this boat. 

Thanks for the advice. 

3 hours ago, gwscot2 said:

1. Quick

2. Cheap

3. Correct

I've always been told you can have only have 2 of the 3 in any combo. 

Sorry to hear about your issues - hopefully they can get all things fixed and you back on the water!

This is sound advice. Thanks

2 hours ago, NJ Chaparral Dealer said:

We order a significant amount of parts every year from Chaparral. Other than a few parts that are on back order for older boats we generally do not have an issue acquiring parts. 

Specifically what parts are you waiting for?

I was waiting for parts to be delivered to dealer all spring. After Chap missed the scheduled appointment, they took another month to get ventline with canister, gas gauge, replacement ac plug for battery charger. They still have not mph gauge and screws for the glove box door. 

14 minutes ago, bomboy said:

How about it. Know  of a workaround? A filling system that works?

I believe it is illegal to modify. Like emission equipment on a car. And non-authorized modifications could impact your warranty.

Chaparral typically relies on the dealer to work through issues and to communicate with the customer.  Hope you have s good dealer-good luck. 

brick

26 minutes ago, bomboy said:

Yes, and it all serves the same purpose - whether a vent hose or vent hose and charcoal canister - to provide a vent. The addition of the charcoal canister is to neutralize fugitive emmisions prior to releasing to the atmosphere.  There’s no way all of that was bad, replaced and bad again. 

Screws can be obtained from nearly any hardware store. Stainless. Not uncommon. Having to wait is simply another excuse. There’s probably a hardware store or Fastenal location with 10 minutes of the dealer.

Gauges are in stock, or Chaparral would not be able to build new. 

You’ve got larger issues if the dealer is pushing you to Chaparral. 

Something went off the rails.

S everal years ago Chaparral Had LOADS of SLOW refueling boats . Most I thought were from loo long of a fill hose crossing over on itself. That put a slug of gasoline in the hose. People found Vent hoses with slugs of gas in them also. The were laid over the filling hose. has slug of gas in them.

2 hours ago, bomboy said:

The vent line is not kinked. The problem lies in the charcoal canister in the vent line. It was gummed up when replaced a few weeks ago. I got two tanks in it when the boat came back. Then, the problem was worse than before. Then I spent two hours at the pump to fill so the family and I could enjoy a day on the water on Saturday. Ran for about two hours then... rapid rpm loss. Would not restart.  

Since then I’ve found that if I remove the vent hose from the tank, it takes gas. 

You are not very good at providing all the information we need to help you ..... 

"Since then I’ve found that if I remove the vent hose from the tank, it takes gas. "   then remove the vent line.  Just remember to use your blowers for a long time before starting.

2 hours ago, bomboy said:

This is the way I’m leaning. I wonder if that would work. Thanks.

I’ve been telling Chaparral to give me my money back since it broke down on our first outing.  They don’t entertain the idea. I’d like to wash my hands if the whole thing. 

You shouldn’t have to be a mechanic on a new boat.

No way in #$^% they will take the boat back without a legal battle though.  What you want is to be made right.