bomboy

CRAParral Never buy!

18 hours ago, Phillbo said:

I'm betting we never hear from the OP again. One and done. 

LOL!  Looks like you were a bit off on this one, ey?

14 hours ago, bomboy said:

Did you miss that I couldn't use my boat until July 1st this year because Chaparral could not line up the parts for the tech until early may?  I asked for help in October.  The work was scheduled for early may, then Chaparral didn't send the parts!  Waited another month.  

I know you guys are proud of your boats, and I researched before I bought, on many forums, I heard Chaparral was top notch.  I have a new boat that I'm afraid to leave sight of the dock with for fear of breaking down again. 

I wonder why a few of you are trying to turn this around on me?

did you miss that I was defending your position?

14 hours ago, NJ Chaparral Dealer said:

We order a significant amount of parts every year from Chaparral. Other than a few parts that are on back order for older boats we generally do not have an issue acquiring parts. 

Specifically what parts are you waiting for?

Hey Joe, I'm curious what's considered the cutoff year for "older boats" these days?

3 minutes ago, Hatem said:

Hey Joe, I'm curious what's considered the cutoff year for "older boats" these days?

LOL.... Yours is a 2010, so 2011 is the cut off.

Mine's an antique

12 minutes ago, Pops said:

LOL.... Yours is a 2010, so 2011 is the cut off.

Mine's an antique

lol, you read my mind, ey? :D  I'm dreading that inevitable designation that seems to be creeping up FAST in every aspect of life!

Speaking of antique & Chaparral, I was on I-95 headed home and I see this thing.  Thought is was pretty dam cool so I made the dangerous effort of taking a worthy pic.

7ZnQcUZ.jpg

34 minutes ago, Hatem said:

lol, you read my mind, ey? :D  I'm dreading that inevitable designation that seems to be creeping up FAST in every aspect of life!

HG, your not up to the Cyclops designation....yet.  :lol:

41 minutes ago, tomnjo said:

HG, your not up to the Cyclops designation....yet.  :lol:

When and IF, hopefully it's with both eyeballs. :)

20 hours ago, bomboy said:

This is the way I’m leaning. I wonder if that would work. Thanks.

I’ve been telling Chaparral to give me my money back since it broke down on our first outing.  They don’t entertain the idea. I’d like to wash my hands if the whole thing. 

There are consumer protection laws you can look into.  You may be able to lemon law the boat.  I did that with a car.  It’s a long, drawn out process though.

The dealer will NEVER give you another boat!  That will NOT happen in a million years.  So don’t plan on that at all.  

You are entitled to be made WHOLE. And an attorney can help.  This is what I would do if this were me:

1 - Find another dealer.  The dealer should be your advocate.

2 - Get an attorney and have them help write a letter.  In the letter be honest, non threatening but determined.  Get personal...not towards Chap but explain how important this purchase was to you, how you feel let down and how you have been embarrassed.  Remind them that you chose to buy new to avoid these vary issues and chose Chap because you believe they would stand behind their product.  Ask them if you think your experience would be acceptable to one of them?

- 3 Ask for resolution.  Insist that a factory representative inspect the boat, make all corrections, thoroughly test and that they stand behind the product.  Give them a reasonable amount of time to correct...maybe four weeks.  Entertain the notion that maybe this boat is just a lemon and that you would consider a factory replacement.  Remind them that you believe in Chap but you are losing patience and set a time limit to correct.  Make note that if they can’t correct in time frame that boat should be replaced or that you will need to find another path of resolution (they will know what that means)

32 minutes ago, WaterDR said:

There are consumer protection laws you can look into.  You may be able to lemon law the boat.  I did that with a car.  It’s a long, drawn out process though.

The dealer will NEVER give you another boat!  That will NOT happen in a million years.  So don’t plan on that at all.  

You are entitled to be made WHOLE. And an attorney can help.  This is what I would do if this were me:

2 - Get an attorney and have them help write a letter.  In the letter be honest, non threatening but determined.  Get personal...not towards Chap but explain how important this purchase was to you, how you feel let down and how you have been embarrassed.  Remind them that you chose to buy new to avoid these vary issues and chose Chap because you believe they would stand behind their product.  Ask them if you think your experience would be acceptable to one of them?

- 3 Ask for resolution.  Insist that a factory representative inspect the boat, make all corrections, thoroughly test and that they stand behind the product.  Give them a reasonable amount of time to correct...maybe four weeks.  Entertain the notion that maybe this boat is just a lemon and that you would consider a factory replacement.  Remind them that you believe in Chap but you are losing patience and set a time limit to correct.  Make note that if they can’t correct in time frame that boat should be replaced or that you will need to find another path of resolution (they will know what that means)

This unfortunately sounds like it boils to a 'life isn't fair' situation.  

37 minutes ago, WaterDR said:

Thanks for thinking this through and taking the time to post. Agreed. 

So I too have an H20.  Last year I was having the same problem with trying to put gas in it.  Over the winter the dealer put in the "new and improved" line, check valve and canister.  Worked great up until Saturday.  Started having problems trying to fuel it.  Irritating but not the end of the world..........  Took it to the ramp, pushed off and the engine stumbled a bit.  Went about 100 yards and the engine started running real rough and then stalled.  Couldn't get it started.  Detached the fuel vent hose from the canister (on the engine side) and it still wouldn't start.  Had to get towed back to the ramp.

I just hope water didn't make it all the way through to the tank.............  Could be unrelated but it sure is a coincidence............ especially on a 2016.

So the OP:

--bought a value line new boat, 

--had a complaint chiefly with the engine, not made by Chaparral 

--doesnt feel supported by the dealer,

and titles his post "Never Buy" on the brand?

EDIT:  discount -> value

19 minutes ago, jd50i said:

What is a "discount line" boat?

H20 is the value line, according to articles like:

http://www.smartboatbuyer.com/chaparral-h2o-21-sport-review/

My apologies if this is not correct information.

I believe Chaparral is a quality brand. Im very happy with my Signature.  My boat has stainless thru hulls,  reinforced stanchions on the bow rails, etc compared to SR with plastic thru hulls, etc.

--

Most of this sounds like boating.

Marine mechanics are hard to get scheduled in the summer.

I wouldnt make big plans for my first trip on a brand new boat, or even first trip after summerization.

Well! My cheap boat and I did not come here to be insulted.

Just kidding, we did. :-)

1 hour ago, gr8lakes said:

H20 is the value line, according to articles like:

http://www.smartboatbuyer.com/chaparral-h2o-21-sport-review/

My apologies if this is not correct information.

I believe Chaparral is a quality brand. Im very happy with my Signature.  My boat has stainless thru hulls,  reinforced stanchions on the bow rails, etc compared to SR with plastic thru hulls, etc.

--

Most of this sounds like boating.

Marine mechanics are hard to get scheduled in the summer.

I wouldnt make big plans for my first trip on a brand new boat, or even first trip after summerization.

some problems yes.  But value brand or not if I were to drop that sort of coin on anything I would expect it to work not be broken.  Be one thing if it were a few minor cosmetic things, but it looks to be things that actually make the boat be boat and do things that a boat does.  I bought a chaparral not a merc or Volvo boat.  Chap and its dealer network shouldn't let things like this happen.

There is a sort of paradigm shift that needs to occur when entering the marine world.  It can take five months just to get your boat looked at by a mechanic in my state where summer is three months long.  Egregious in the auto world, not totally off base in the marine world.  I think of is as a sort of hybrid island time that is in place.  

On 7/10/2018 at 6:28 PM, bomboy said:

How about it. Know  of a workaround? A filling system that works?

yeah, the same system on my 26 year old chap, a 5/8'' vent hose looped up and back down to a vent port on the side of the hull.

23 minutes ago, Chaparral Rider said:

There is a sort of paradigm shift that needs to occur when entering the marine world.  It can take five months just to get your boat looked at by a mechanic in my state where summer is three months long.  Egregious in the auto world, not totally off base in the marine world.  I think of is as a sort of hybrid island time that is in place.  

This is nearly the same in the RV world.  Engine made by one manufacturer, trans made by another, Chassis manufacturer mates engine/trans and installs in chassis.  Chassis sold to RV manufacturer who puts all sorts of other manufacturers components into it like refrigerator, water heater, A/C, furnace, furniture, etc.  Almost all the major components have their own warranty.  Any good dealer is capable of repairing and submitting warranty claims to the OEMs.

7 minutes ago, Dennis A said:

This is nearly the same in the RV world.  Engine made by one manufacturer, trans made by another, Chassis manufacturer mates engine/trans and installs in chassis.  Chassis sold to RV manufacturer who puts all sorts of other manufacturers components into it like refrigerator, water heater, A/C, furnace, furniture, etc.  Almost all the major components have their own warranty.  Any good dealer is capable of repairing and submitting warranty claims to the OEMs.

Even a minor issue that you can't repair yourself can be a summer-ender...depending on whatever area you are in and of course how far into summer you are.  Even worse with PWC's as many places won't service them.  The reason I have a Yamaha PWC because my local marina at my lake won't service any PWC and the Yamaha's seem to have fewer issues than the others on the lake, etc, etc.  

I can only imagine the RV world given how many systems they have in them compared to your average lake boat.  

When I bought my RV, the few problems I had I contacted the appliances manufacturer and was sent the parts to repair it. I'd rather not have anyone touch my stuff. Had a scratch repaired on my new truck, mechanics caused me to return 3 more times to correct problems they induced.

4 minutes ago, jd50i said:

When I bought my RV, the few problems I had I contacted the appliances manufacturer and was sent the parts to repair it. I'd rather not have anyone touch my stuff. Had a scratch repaired on my new truck, mechanics caused me to return 3 more times to correct problems they induced.

Once the mechanic had to take one of my suv's home to diagnose an issue...so over the weekend he decided to go ahead and joyride it with his friends off roading through the woods and it came back dented up and scratched all over.  That was a time waster for sure.