Jump to content
bomboy

CRAParral Never buy!

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Chaparral Rider said:

Once the mechanic had to take one of my suv's home to diagnose an issue...so over the weekend he decided to go ahead and joyride it with his friends off roading through the woods and it came back dented up and scratched all over.  That was a time waster for sure.  

Between 5 months to have anyone look at your boat and mechanics joy riding your car, remind me to never move to Minnesota 1000 lakes or wherever that is, bro.  Dang.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2018 at 7:34 PM, bomboy said:

Yes, the story has been:

Dealer: It’s Chaparral’s fault. Talk with warranty. 

Chaparral warranty:  “Warranty issues are to be expected on a new boat.”

You’re right, I saved for a long time to buy this boat. 

Thanks for the advice. 

I'm on my 2nd Chap in 30 years and never experienced anything like you have, but I'm genuinely sorry for your experience.  That said, if ANY dealer (car, boat, RV, etc.) EVER told me to contact the manufacturer for warranty problems instead of being the conduit to them for me, I wouldn't hesitate to call them out publicly.  If I know what model and features I want, ANY dealer can sell it to me, so I expect the one I choose to act like they want my business.  If they wouldn't take a boat back and eat $1,000-2,000 of their own (or split the loss with the factory) then they would end up regretting their mistake by losing A LOT more than that from the bad publicity they're about to get.

To the ones who said they hold car manufacturers responsible for a car's tires - you aren't in the majority.  I should only need to reference Firestone tires to make that point.  They sucked up 75% of the costs involved in that huge scandal 20 years ago, even though Ford was the guilty party - not Bridgestone (Firestone).  Ford basically came out unscathed, while Bridgestone saw the value of their Firestone brand drop to zero and almost bankrupted the company.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JimSchuuz said:

 

To the ones who said they hold car manufacturers responsible for a car's tires - you aren't in the majority.  I should only need to reference Firestone tires to make that point.  They sucked up 75% of the costs involved in that huge scandal 20 years ago, even though Ford was the guilty party - not Bridgestone (Firestone).  Ford basically came out unscathed, while Bridgestone saw the value of their Firestone brand drop to zero and almost bankrupted the company.

MEhh firestone had large systemic issue bad example there.  Ford sells the car to me they are on the hook for making it right under warranty for anything, I don't have to call firestone for them to fix it I take it to any ford dealer under warranty and its fixed period within a day or two.  Same goes for chap if your vendors for your power packs suck then move on or demand better QAQC, don't pawn it off on the customer like its their problem.  FWIW I would trust merc over chap any day of the week,  trust that power pack when it left the factory was working,  chap hooking it up right not so much.

End of the day who financially has the burden or where it comes out in the wash I don't really care.  But where I bought the item from and the sticker that is on the side is responsible for making it right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't get me wrong, the venting issue is really the only problem I've had (plus a few small things) with my H20 and have been very happy with it.  The dealer has taken care of all of them without question (even broken carpet snaps).  But like the OP, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a new boat not to have that any problems or leave you stranded.

Yes, the H20 is at the low end of the Chap line.........

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JeffL said:

Don't get me wrong, the venting issue is really the only problem I've had (plus a few small things) with my H20 and have been very happy with it.  The dealer has taken care of all of them without question (even broken carpet snaps).  But like the OP, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a new boat not to have that any problems or leave you stranded.

Yes, the H20 is at the low end of the Chap line.........

 

that's what kills me you got guys in here making excuses or trying to make themselves and others believe buying a 40-50k boat and having issues is normal and ok.  Heck I've bought 3k lawnmowers that had no issues for 10 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2018 at 4:29 PM, bomboy said:

I wonder why a few of you are trying to turn this around on me?

 

You came in with some legitimate complaints and then proceeded to discredit yourself by using the term "CRAParral" many times over.  Initially, I was going to call your post out as just another drive-by hit piece, but after I continued reading and saw that your subsequent replies seemed more genuine I began feeling sympathetic to you and I wish you well.

It isn't just Chaparral, every brand has its own loyal base, and I agree that throwing the hand grenade isn't a great way to get genuine help or advice.  But I also understand your frustration, and I don't consider you as vile and vicious as you initially came off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, soldier4402 said:

MEhh firestone had large systemic issue bad example there.  Ford sells the car to me they are on the hook for making it right under warranty for anything, I don't have to call firestone for them to fix it I take it to any ford dealer under warranty and its fixed period within a day or two.  Same goes for chap if your vendors for your power packs suck then move on or demand better QAQC, don't pawn it off on the customer like its their problem.  FWIW I would trust merc over chap any day of the week,  trust that power pack when it left the factory was working,  chap hooking it up right not so much.

End of the day who financially has the burden or where it comes out in the wash I don't really care.  But where I bought the item from and the sticker that is on the side is responsible for making it right.

I agree with the last paragraph, but you're wrong about Firestone.  According to the final analysis from the NHTSA regarding the scandal 4 years later, Ford was ultimately responsible because Bridgestone furnished ample evidence that they TOLD FORD to stop putting the soft-compound tires on cars destined for warmer states, and to increase the tire pressure instead of lowering it.  Ford was deliberately trying to soften the ride on the Explorer's chassis to compete better with Chrysler at the time, and that's why the decision was made in relation to the tires.  Ultimately, Ford was found to be at fault, but not until after Bridgestone settled most of the claims.

Since the entire tire debacle, most OEM tire manufacturers will no longer sell tires to individual automakers in bulk - they assemble the tires onto the rims and then the axles themselves, then ship them back to the assembly plants.

No, I don't work for any tire company or auto company, I'm in IT at an independent company.  However, both a (very) large European tire mfr. and a (very) large European automaker are clients of mine, so I'm privy to a little bit more of that information than the general public.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hatem said:

Between 5 months to have anyone look at your boat and mechanics joy riding your car, remind me to never move to Minnesota 1000 lakes or wherever that is, bro.  Dang.

Don't forget about the 9.85% income tax, the 8% sales tax, the third highest cost of living including rentals but excluding housing and of course the 90 day summer.  It's not for everyone.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, soldier4402 said:

that's what kills me you got guys in here making excuses or trying to make themselves and others believe buying a 40-50k boat and having issues is normal and ok.  Heck I've bought 3k lawnmowers that had no issues for 10 years. 

It's not okay, but there's a path forward.

If you expect to buy a new boat defect free, have it work perfectly forever, and have the manufacturer compensate you for your vacations days off, thats frankly unrealistic.  You probably never owned a boat before, or youre disingenuous.

The OP did not ask for help, the OP asked no one to buy ever again.

We welcome all here on these forums seeking help, including representatives from other boat builders, and people who only started posting last week, which includes both soldier and bomboy, hmmm ...

Dont feed the trolls.

Mods: i recommend locking this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gr8lakes said:

It's not okay, but there's a path forward.

If you expect to buy a new boat defect free, have it work perfectly forever, and have the manufacturer compensate you for your vacations days off, thats frankly unrealistic.  You probably never owned a boat before, or youre disingenuous.

The OP did not ask for help, the OP asked no one to buy ever again.

We welcome all here on these forums seeking help, including representatives from other boat builders, and people who only started posting last week, which includes both soldier and bomboy, hmmm ...

Dont feed the trolls.

Mods: i recommend locking this thread.

Soldier is a seasoned poster.  These posts never stay the course anyway.  I like the different avenues they tend to go.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chaparral Rider said:

Don't forget about the 9.85% income tax, the 8% sales tax, the third highest cost of living including rentals but excluding housing and of course the 90 day summer.  It's not for everyone.  

Yeah I was just busting 'em on you.  90 day summer sounds familiar actually.  Sometimes it doesn't even really warm up enough and spring rains don't finally end until mid-June around here.  Then it's a 2-1/2 month summer and that's with an August that the days cool down very quickly by 4pm.  Sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×