MannyRod

GMC Yukon pull a 236 SSI?

I’m new to boating and own a 2005 GMC Yukon with a 5.3L V8 and towing capacity of 7,700 lbs. I’m currently in the process of buying a 236 SSI and wonder if our Yukon can tow the boat. Any info would help! 

Do you have any weight figures on the 236 plus trailer? I would bet your Yukon will tow the boat but it may struggle, especially on hills. I towed my 264 with a similar set up and it struggled on hills with high engine reving and downshifting of the tranny. If you do not tow long distances and it`s not hilly you will probably be fine.

Get in your manual and find what the GVWR is for your particular vehicle. From that subtract the weight of passengers and cargo in the truck then subtract the weight of the boat and any cargo. If the left over number is a negative you are overweight.

The current 246 SSI weighs 4,400 pounds dry.  The current 227 SSX weighs 3,900 pounds dry.  Your 236 SSI should be in the vicinity, and you can probably Google and/or call a dealer to determine the exact weight.  Add the boat's dry weight to fuel, gear and trailer, and compare the result to the GVWR of your vehicle.  If negative, no.  If positive, yes.

5 hours ago, Chap243 said:

Do you have any weight figures on the 236 plus trailer? I would bet your Yukon will tow the boat but it may struggle, especially on hills. I towed my 264 with a similar set up and it struggled on hills with high engine reving and downshifting of the tranny. If you do not tow long distances and it`s not hilly you will probably be fine.

The dry weight for the boat is 4,330. I will be hauling it back to where I live 6 hours away from where we are picking it up with some slight hills. Also, the launch ramps aren’t exactly flat. They are on an incline. 

With the dry boat being 4300 I’m estimating the total tow weight being around 6400 lbs. (Does that sound right?). 

Not enough information to say for sure.  Look at the trailer tag, and you'll have the weight.  Gasoline is about 6 pounds per gallon.  Water (if the boat is equipped with a tank) is about 8 pounds per gallon.  Add in an estimate for gear, and you'll have the answer.  I'd be surprised if the sum exceeds the ability of the Yukon, but you have to drive it, be able to stop it and not cause injury to you or anyone else.  Only you can do the math because only you are looking at the specific boat, trailer, etc.

My smaller 230 SSi and tandem axle steel trailer weighs 6000 lbs loaded for the lake. Your will probably weigh around 6600 lbs. 

You should be fine, but make sure your drawbar and hitchball are rated high enough. 

brick